• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saffron Restaurant

saffronnj

Well, finally got a chance to go and try the buffet at Saffron. I gotta say everything was delicious!!

There were so many good things on the buffet such as chicken tikki marsala, tandoori chicken, saag, a lamb dish, chickpea dish, lots of different pakora's, daal, vegetables in a cream sauce. All in all I'd say there were 10 or 12 different hot dishes with one better than the next.

For dessert they had the grated carrot with almonds, pineapple and raisins, but, the big surprise was Fig Ice Cream. It was so creamy and delicious and something I hope to have again. It's also a very pretty looking restaurant from the lobby to the clean bathrooms. If your looking for a wonderful and inexpensive ($9.95) buffet that's the place to go.

This post reminds me that I promised to arrange for an eG outing at Saffron...do you want to wait until after the holidays, or should we try to cram it in in the next few weeks? Post or PM me with your preferences, including whether you'd like to do lunch or dinner and if a weekday/night is better than a weekend day/eve. So many questions, I know... :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I'm never gonna make it to a lunch, my appetite just doesn't work that way. But don't mind me.

Our schedules seem to change daily so it's hard to say what's a good vs bad night, if there's a consensus towards dinner. Mondays are generally always bad - don't know Saffron's schedule, may not matter. Sorry, that's not much help. But December always gets crazy.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

• 1 month later...

Two thumbs up for Saffron's lunch buffet. We finally made it there today, despite the really crazy shopping traffic in E. Hanover. Really enjoyed the Bhindi (Okra) Masala, Lamb Rogan Josh, Chicken Tikka Masala, and the Dal. Naan bread was fresh. Had the Ras Malai for dessert (my favorite!), washed down with a tasty glass of Mango Lassi.

Definitely worth checking out - at $9.95 it is a bargain. Certainly on a par with the experiences that I've had at Moghul's (Edison) lunch buffet.

NJ2FL: I pm-ed "saffronnj" a couple months ago and learned that he has been in and out of the hospital with a medical ailment. I will let him know that people are concerned about his whereabouts and that you wish him well.

Other than that, havent been in Jersey for a couple months to experience Saffron. Hear from friends its still delicious.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my recent weekend-long birthday celebrations took place at Saffron, where 10 of us had lunch on Saturday. For entertainment value, understand that it was a Princess Birthday Lunch--because of my 3 year-old niece and her addiction to all things princess. So we were a table of (mostly) adults + 2 little ones, ALL wearing tiaras/crowns, and all not acting our age. :cool: The staff at Saffron was, as always, completely accommodating and attentive. And the food, (in this case, the aforementioned 9.95pp buffet) was great! They are definitely a consistent favorite of mine for Indian food now.

One new piece of info I gleaned is that Saffron is indeed BYO...they have a big bar when you first walk in, but I didn't realize that it's really just for show and for use as their front desk. So get yourself some King Fischer or Taj or an appropriate bottle of wine and get yourselves over there! :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

• 1 month later...

We finally made it to Saffron. Service was excellent. Silverware and bread plates were replaced between courses. Let me just say that Indian food is not at the top of my list of favorite cuisines and I would certainly try this restaurant again. However, I need to go there with Curlz and Jason as they are the experts! :wink:

We started off with:

Samosa—didn’t care for the spices used

Vegetable stuffed green peppers—delicious

Garlic naan—addictive

Entrees were:

Dahinwala Baigan—cubes of eggplant cooked in yogurt and tempered with mustard seeds and spices. Loved the eggplant but there was a spice I didn’t care for.

Lamb biryani and basmati rice cooked in a sealed pot with saffron. Lamb was gamey and tough. Lowell liked it. I didn't.

This would be a great place to go with a crowd in order to taste the many dishes on the menu.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

So glad to hear that Saffon has the Rosie Seal of Approval! :smile:

Now if you can, get over there for the lunch buffet one day--it's a great way to try lots more of their dishes CHEAPLY!!

Curlz

In terms of quality, absolutely. (As is the service, btw--they are just ultra-attentive there!!) I've never been to a buffet that has so many dishes available, and you certainly can't beat the price--it's 9.95pp including naan. There has been a wide assortment of veg and meat dishes each time I've been there. Do they offer all of the $17.95 entrees? Definitely not. But each time I go, I get to try at least one new dish! Great spot for a Saturday lunch, too.