• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: StInGeR - An Australian in NJ

StInGeR

What's the injury (if you don't mind sharing)?

Poor guy...Connolly's is fine for after work happy hours with colleagues, but I'd never inflict it upon a visitor!  All that and an injury too...

Basically the injury is the sprain from hell - I had a weak ankle from playing Aussie Rules football and this really just aggravated it alot more - to the extent of not being able to put any weight on it. Picture this it took me 30 minutes to "walk" from the entrance to the Port Authority to the gate our bus left from this morning.

As for Connolly's, that's actually the sort of place our friends, V and I like - just somewhere to have a few drinks, sit and talk and maybe if we feel like it later grab something resembling food :biggrin: The bar we went to after to play pool was called snafu and they wont be getting me back there in a hurry :biggrin:

Cheers

Tom

Edited because I forgot to mention V :shock:

Edited by StInGeR (log)

I want food and I want it now

Hope the ankle doesn't impact too greatly on the rest of your trip (see what happens from playing a leaping in the air game like Aussie Rules - :laugh: all that jarring of the ankles as you finish the mid-air pirrouettes - now Rugby Union - less ankle strain there - just broken necks for the front rowers :huh: )

And getting right back to the food... those spit rotisseries are excellent large enough to feed a mob but the meat comes out really tender (we did goat once).

What other food are you going to try over there?

Feel better soon

Hi, Tom. I just checked this thread again after a couple of days. That really sucks about the sprain! Unfortunately, those suckers can linger on for a long time, as you know. I hope you're lucky.

Oh, I'm also sorry you ended up at TGIF that night... :raz:

Your meal at Jewel Bako sounds amazing, though.

Michael aka "Pan"

Tom - you are rapidly becoming my hero - you don't a lowly ER visit get in the way of some good drinking :laugh: but you can even follow up a Jewel Bako visit with a TGIF meal and proudly tell the tale.

Just curious - to what do we owe the pleasure of your planned return to the US?

Hope the ankle doesn't impact too greatly on the rest of your trip (see what happens from playing a leaping in the air game like Aussie Rules - :laugh: all that jarring of the ankles as you finish the mid-air pirrouettes - now Rugby Union - less ankle strain there - just broken necks for the front rowers :huh: )

Oh no here we go - a rugby/ Australian Rules argument. Well I'm not getting into that seeing that EVERYONE knows that rugby players are mental midgets :biggrin: Funny though we were in a bar in Wharton last week and someone heard my accent and wanted to know if I wanted to play Union for Morristown when we come back so it looks like I'll be getting a lobotomy so I can fit into the team :smile:

Cheers

Tom

Thinking about how I might convince the other occupants of our building to allow us to set up a spit roast in the courtyard out back one spring evening. :smile:

Invite all the neighbors! :biggrin: Oh, and I'll bring the chestnuts! :laugh:

Back to the sheep on the spit: do you marinate it? Where? Sounds fabulous!

First the rain...now the sprain! And you are still cheerful...amazing! Certainly hope you are feeling better!!

Tom - you are rapidly becoming my hero - you don't a lowly ER visit get in the way of some good drinking :laugh: but you can even follow up a Jewel Bako visit with a TGIF meal and proudly tell the tale.

Just curious - to what do we owe the pleasure of your planned return to the US?

Owen, there is absolutely nothing that will stop an Australian drinking, especially when you're with good friends and having a great time. To be honest, I thought that the sprain was relatively minor to start with - it wasn't until the next morning that I realized it was seriously screwed.

As for places like TGIF and Connolly's, sometimes I seem to get cravings for mediocre food. Stuff where there is no premise that it'll be great just something to fill the gap... add to that relatively well priced drinks and I'm in heaven.

The reason we're moving back here is that my wife is a born and bred NY'er, and used to work for UBS on 48th and Park. After we got married she decided that she'd like a change in her life and moved to Australia to be with me, I had preciously mentioned I'd be willing to move here but she wanted to try something new. Now after a year and with her licences expiring next year we decided that moving back wouldn't be a bad idea as I also want a change. SOOOOOOOO here we come :biggrin: We've spent alot of this trip checking out condo's, furniture and cars for the move back and we've decided that we'll probably move around Lincoln Park in NJ. Far enough away from NYC that we're out of the rat race but close enough for a day trip and some fun :biggrin:

Cheers

Tom

Back to the sheep on the spit: do you marinate it? Where? Sounds fabulous!

Because of the fat content of a whole lamb we usually just rub the lamb with lemon juice and cloves of garlic. Combine this with the flavour of the charcoal and it's just MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Cheers

Tom

Hiya guys, looks like things are picking up around here :biggrin: Seeing as how my wife and I missed the big Xmas Eve dinner at the the IL's last year that's what's planned for tonight. In V's family it's a serious big deal and my MIL will spend most of the day in the kitchen doing prep for the 6pm dinner. Basically it's a seafood banquet - there will be shrimp scampi, fried calamari, lobster with drawn butter, baked clams, fried fish, some crab, alot of salad and probably some cappelini. I've been hearing about this meal for a couple of years now and am seriously looking forward to it... YUM seafood. I really wish I had a camera so I could post pics of all the food tonight but there's always next time :rolleyes:

We actually fly out of JFK Saturday night but there's still 2 days left on my "lively" commentary to come so keep it coming :biggrin: Hell being on crutches I couldn't get away from the computer if I wanted to

Cheers

Tom

Thinking about how I might convince the other occupants of our building to allow us to set up a spit roast in the courtyard out back one spring evening.  :smile:

Invite all the neighbors! :biggrin: Oh, and I'll bring the chestnuts! :laugh:

Yea, so you can throw them in the fire and watch them explode? :biggrin:

Tom, I also moved for love to a foreign country. Best of luck to you in that endeavor.

It's really great that your ILs have decided to do a Xmas dinner in April in honor of your visit. I want a description of each and every crustacean - your punishment for not purchasing a camera specifically for this Foodblog. :rolleyes:

What other food are you going to try over there?

Sorry misgabi, I missed this question but I'll do my best to answer it now. The things that I always crave when I come across to NY and NJ are clams, soft shell crabs, a decent hamburger, good pastrami, and a Nathan's hotdog. While they may seem basic they're my must haves and I always do. Hell after we arrived at JFK our first stop was down to City Island and Johnny's Reef - sorry egulleters but I like The Reef. For those of you who don't know the Reef - it's a DIVE!!!! Everything contains fat and you can feel your arteries hardening as you eat it. I usually start with a doz raw clams, then a serve of softshell crab with the hot sauce then back to another doz clams, mind you, you have to drink a couple of Buds with all of this to cut the fat :smile:

Explaining a decent hamburger to an Australian is impossible :sad: A good burger should be MRare to Rare and a decent thickness not like the shit we get in Australia. In Aust. they're basically a processed slab of leather that you can only cook WDone.

Pastrami well that's a given - I need either Katz or if we're not in that area, a quick trip to Harold's will hold me over until I can get to Katz. But that will now have to wait until the next trip :sad:

Nathan's is an enough said!!! John the hotdog guy will prob disagree with me wanting one but that's just me. Australian hotdogs (unless you can find a great continental deli) are crap - 99% filler 1% something resembling meat. If only I could take back a box of Sabrett's but the wait will just make the taste next trip more worthwhile.

Well now that I've pissed off the Australian egulleters about the state of burgers and hotdogs in Aust. I'll go check my email

Cheers

Tom

It could be worse ... he could have said "break a leg"!

I'm looking forward to your blog!

Hey Jensen, I'm blaming you for my injury!!!! :biggrin:

Cheers

Tom

Well now that I've pissed off the Australian egulleters about the state of burgers and hotdogs in Aust. I'll go check my email

Well at least Australia is known for good coffee and espresso (so I'm told). I'm under the impression that the coffee offerings there, even in smaller communities, are typically better than they usually are in the US.

Well I just remembered why I married V... and no it's nothing romantic or a warm fuzzy feeling. It's because even though she left me ALL alone in the house, she remembered I NEED food!!!! :biggrin::biggrin: And what could be better than an Italian sub, that's right absolutely nothing. Cappicola, prosciutto, genoa salami and provolone (with lettuce, hot peppers) and topped with oil and vinegar on a gorgeous chewy roll. Now I'm sated for awhile and await BEER. This could be a really good day if the food continues as it is

Cheers

Tom

PS Owen you're right coffee in Australia is usually pretty good. Especially Vittorio - that is one coffee that we'll be shipping back to the US when we finally make the move later this year.

PPS I'm now in heaven FIL just brought me a jug of beer

Edited by StInGeR (log)

Now I'm sated for awhile and await BEER.....I'm now in heaven FIL just brought me a jug of beer

You're just milking this sprain, aren't you? :raz::laugh:

I bet you won't have to wash up after dinner, either. :cool:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Now I'm sated for awhile and await BEER.....I'm now in heaven FIL just brought me a jug of beer

You're just milking this sprain, aren't you? :raz::laugh:

I bet you won't have to wash up after dinner, either. :cool:

I'd be nuts not to milk it :wacko: So far on this 3 week trip I've done a fair bit of cooking and besides I want to milk it with the airline for an upgrade from JFK through to Sydney :biggrin: In all honesty on one of the first nice days we've had in NJ and NY I'd rather be outside reading in the sun

Cheers

Tom

my MIL will spend most of the day in the kitchen doing prep for the 6pm dinner. Basically it's a seafood banquet - there will be shrimp scampi, fried calamari, lobster with drawn butter, baked clams, fried fish, some crab, alot of salad and probably some cappelini.

ah yeah. you just gotta love the italian in-laws.

hope you enjoyed every bite and you're now happily passed out on a comfy chair :laugh::laugh:

my MIL will spend most of the day in the kitchen doing prep for the 6pm dinner. Basically it's a seafood banquet - there will be shrimp scampi, fried calamari, lobster with drawn butter, baked clams, fried fish, some crab, alot of salad and probably some cappelini.

ah yeah. you just gotta love the italian in-laws.

hope you enjoyed every bite and you're now happily passed out on a comfy chair :laugh::laugh:

After last night's dinner I now remember why I married and Italian girl :biggrin: that's right guys it was for the food. Things started out simply with fried shrimp and baked clams. Not being funny but if clams were the only seafood available I'd be one damn happy man - I'll take them anyway, anyhow - raw, fried, baked, steamed - just bring them on. This was served with a green salad and some garlic bread. Next up was cappelini with a fish gravy - calamari, shrimp, clams - and baked scallops and more shrimp served in a butter, garlic, oregano sauce. For the record my wife is a total heather, as I keep telling her parmesan does not go on ANY sort of fish gravy. The bonus last night was that FIL turned to her and told her the same thing --- wooooooohooooooooo one for Tom. All of this was then followed up with steamed lobster with drawn butter. I still can't move!!!! I've got to give the MIL alot of credit - damn she can cook :smile: wish she'd taught her daughter how to tho :biggrin:

Today is going to be another quiet one for me, that is until tonight when for our last night in NJ we're going barhopping with the BIL's and their respective wife and girlfriend. Isn't it funny how appropriate the term "barhopping" is for me at the moment, damn it should be alot of fun trying to use crutches while drinking.

Anyway breakfast and painkillers are calling, I'll be back later

Cheers

Tom

PS By a unanimous vote of 1-0 bleudauvergne is being tagged for the next foodblog :biggrin:

Well seeing as how my lovely wife has decided to go shopping for some last minute things before we leave NJ tomorrow night. lunch today has been a large packet of Yuko Gold Salt and Vinegar chips. This is one thing I'm going to be taking back with me to Australia - I love the thick cut and they've got just the right amount of S&V. The only problem now is hobbling out to the kitchen to grab a beer and bringing it back into the computer room. BUT always remember where there's a will there's a way. OK I've got the way... I figure the pockets on my sweats are big enough to load up with 2 beers at a time :smile: Ya have to love ingenuity......

Cheers

Tom

PS By a unanimous vote of 1-0 bleudauvergne is being tagged for the next foodblog  :laugh:

Make that 2-0 - I second the nomination!

Tom - have you tried Cape Cod brand Sea Salt and Vinegar chips? They'll blow you way - really worth seeking out. Thanks for a great drink-a-log.... uhhhh.. I mean foodblog :rolleyes: We're looking forward to seeing you show up back here in the States again!

PS By a unanimous vote of 1-0 bleudauvergne is being tagged for the next foodblog   :laugh:

Make that 2-0 - I second the nomination!

Tom - have you tried Cape Cod brand Sea Salt and Vinegar chips? They'll blow you way - really worth seeking out. Thanks for a great drink-a-log.... uhhhh.. I mean foodblog :rolleyes: We're looking forward to seeing you show up back here in the States again!

Oh damn I thought I was on "edrinking" and this was supposed to be a drinking blog SHEESH why didn't someone say something???? :biggrin: OK I've made a mental note about the Cape Cod S&V chips and told my MIL to ship some across in the next couple of weeks. Seeing as how V and I are leaving the US tomorrow bleudauvergne will be taking the foodblog over at about 5pm NY time so that should make for interesting reading :smile: I'd like to thank everyone for the questions and comments and next time I get to do the foodblog about 20 years from now I promise to make it a hell of alot more interesting. V and I also look forward to meeting up with alot of the East coast egulleters for dinners and various egullet functions.

Cheers

Tom

It could be worse ... he could have said "break a leg"!

Great blog, thanks for sharing with us :smile: Um you do know that way back in the beginning, the wish "break a leg" was for good luck. No body expected you to go above and beyond and do the real thing :biggrin: Hope it's better soon.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.