• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rediscovering Capogiro

mrbigjas

I didn't think about Capogiro much over the winter, because... well, it's cold in winter.

Anyway, stopped by today. Had a meyer lemon/grey goose vodka flavor, and also noticed black walnut, which I didn't have, but would have if I'd seen it first. But my wife got the best flavor ever:

Rosemary goat milk honey. SO FREAKIN GOOD. I can't emphasize enough how good this is. Go get some now. Go!

I didn't think about Capogiro much over the winter, because... well, it's cold in winter.

Anyway, stopped by today.  Had a meyer lemon/grey goose vodka flavor, and also noticed black walnut, which I didn't have, but would have if I'd seen it first.  But my wife got the best flavor ever:

Rosemary goat milk honey.  SO FREAKIN GOOD.  I can't emphasize enough how good this is.  Go get some now.  Go!

Jas.:

I've had that Rosemary Goat Milk Honey flavor and it's un-freakin-believably delicious. I have to agree that it's one of the best things ever. You should try some of the other seemingly plain sounding fruit flavors too. Peach, strawberry, etc. are just the pure essence of the flavor of fruit. I'll bet the Meyer Lemon/Grey Goose was pretty good too!

Thanks for reminding me about Capogiro. I got my "it's-warm-enough-again" cold dessert fix with a scoop of Butter Pecan from Fisher's at RTM this afternoon. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I've had that Rosemary Goat Milk Honey flavor and it's un-freakin-believably delicious. I have to agree that it's one of the best things ever. You should try some of the other seemingly plain sounding fruit flavors too. Peach, strawberry, etc. are just the pure essence of the flavor of fruit. I'll bet the Meyer Lemon/Grey Goose was pretty good too!

They are great indeed. I've said before--and I'll say again--that the pistachio there tastes more like pistachios than pistachios do. I got that lemon/vodka flavor because that's one of my favorite summer drinks--vodka straight up with a lemon twist (another favorite summer drink is gin and bitter lemon, but not a lot of bars have bitter lemon around all the time).

Anyway, it was good; you could taste the vodka in it.

I love their avacado flavour.

Your sense of clairvoyance is remarkable. I was wondering how to work the avocado flavor into the previous post and decided it was too "off the wall" for public consumption (so to speak). As if by magic, you've mentioned another flavor at Capogiro that really blew me away!

And yes, the pistachio is other worldly. Friends who know me well and dine with me frequently will tell you two things about my restaurant ordering habits:

1) If there's a Duck dish on the menu, it is highly likely that I will order it.

2) If any dessert has Pistachio in it, I will absoutely order it, regardless of how full I am.

The pistachio gelato at Capogiro is without question, the most "pistachio-ey" thing I've ever tasted. Given that it's a flavor I adore, no contest. And it isn't isn't that disgusting "Green Dye #5" color either. Yeah, it's got some green going on, but it's the color of the REAL DEAL. Nothing even comes close.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

My recent Capogiro combo was pistachio and bitter chocolate, which is so dark it's nearly black. Sweet Jesus, it was good.

Anyone else enjoy imported mortadella with the pistachio nuts in it? Once in a while, I make a mortadella sandwich on a crusty roll with a little drizzle of balsamic. Sweet Jesus, I want one now.

mmmmmmmmmmortadella. they should make mortadella flavored gelato at capog..... no, maybe not.

You just had to go there, didn't you? :raz:

Actually, I think Capogiro does have some sandwiches available, so a Mortadella sammy followed by a scoop of pistachio for dessert just to drive the point home could be a very good thing :smile:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

mmmmmmmmmmortadella.  they should make mortadella flavored gelato at capog..... no, maybe not.

You just had to go there, didn't you? :raz:

Actually, I think Capogiro does have some sandwiches available, so a Mortadella sammy followed by a scoop of pistachio for dessert just to drive the point home could be a very good thing :smile:

Or a brioche with a huge scoop of gelato for breakfast!! :biggrin:

Or a brioche with a huge scoop of gelato for breakfast!!

Sicilian breakfast, mmm...! (Is anyone at Capogiro getting this?)

they should make mortadella flavored gelato at capog..... no, maybe not.

Well, why not? Who'd have thought rosemary goat-milk honey could be so good?

• 2 weeks later...

We are soooo addicted to Capogiro, we went all winter long for our "fix"!

I even held my own (adult) birthday party starting there, its a BYOB, and we all brought champagne on a Sunday afternoon in November, and AFTER went to Zeke's BBQ for late lunch - all with about 15 friends....I wanted to eat my favorite foods in the order that I wanted to!

Anyway, went last Saturday (4/24) and had the Avocado and the pineapple with cardomom which was outrageous! So was the blood orange and the black grape...

On edit:(from Sam)

The campari and grapefruit turned me (someone who HATES Campari) into a Campari aficianado.

They also had an unfiltered Puglia extra virgin olive oil gelato the other week that was one of the most amazing things I've ever had.

And we still remember the blueberry with thyme from last autumn.

There are some people here in Philly who have compared Capogiro unfavorably with Roman gelato, making comments about cornstarch, etc., but WHO CARES? It's still the best in the city. In fact, it's better (Heresy alert) than Bassetts.

We fast for days to indulge.

It's the most outrageous indulgence!

Edited by casting@philacast.com (log)

Philly Francophiles

It's still the best in the city. In fact, it's better (Heresy alert) than Bassetts.

Comparing Capogiro and Bassets is like comparing Apples and Pears. Yes, they are both fruit and they both grow on trees. But they are different. Bassets is Fourthy of July, Labor Day and Apple Pie. Capogiro is suave and sophisticated. Both are great. But don't confuse the two.

Now, if only Bassets would go back to the old recipe for Raspberry Truffle!

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Bassett's peach ice cream is a wonderful gift from our great lord. I love me some gelato, but life without Bassett's peach wouldn't be worth living.

Bassett's Vanilla is pretty good too. I realize it sounds incredibly "beige" and boring, but good vanilla ice cream is hard to find and I think Bassett's is some of the best I've had.

I haven't tried the peach. I'll definitely do that next time I'm at RTM. The ice cream that Fisher's dishes up is pretty good too. I really like the black raspberry!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!