• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Suggestion

thebaker

Hello

I hope this is the right forum for this.

I have to do a dessert for a wine tasting.

for the dessert course they will be drinking a 2002 St. Supery moscato

the client has asked for a poached pear for dessert, I wanted to use some of the wine they will be drinking as the poaching liquid...but the owner (my boss) says thats to much money, I need to use something else.

Anyone have any suggestion for the poaching wine that would go well with the wine they are drinking..

thanks much

I bake there for I am....

Make food ... not war

Riesling. I might go with a semi-dry sherry or a marsala though.

You could also go in the opposite direction with poaching in a red wine as well. Moscato is sort of a neutral, effervescent sweet wine. Typically though Moscato is an apertif, I've had it in brunches instead of Champagne or Prosecco. It also mixes real nice with Orange Juice in a Mimosa.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

St. Supery's Moscato is only $10-12 per bottle. That's quite inexpensive for a dessert wine. If that's too much to spare a bit for poaching, I can only assume your boss is running on a tight budget.

FWIW, I think this Moscato would be perfect with a fruit tart.

"Enjoy every sandwich."

Warren Zevon, 10/30/02

St. Supery's Moscato is only $10-12 per bottle. That's quite inexpensive for a dessert wine. If that's too much to spare a bit for poaching, I can only assume your boss is running on a tight budget.

WOW

That cheap

we are poaching over 100 pears so i guess it could add up

thanks everyone for your information so far

SC

I bake there for I am....

Make food ... not war

Perhaps a bit more reasonably priced, R.L. Buller's NV Fine Muscat can be had for about $12/375ml bottle. Here is the URL for a google search http://www.google.com/search?q=%22R.L.+Bul...=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8. It is fine juice and can probably rival the St. Supery, although I have to admit that I have never had that. Anyway it is similar varietally. I don't know about stylistically.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

It's funny, when I did a search of the St. Supery moscato 2002, I came up with a price that I thought said $121/bottle, but on closer inspection after some of the above posts, I realized that that was the case price :rolleyes::raz::laugh:

If 10$/ 750ml bottle is too much, than might I suggest poaching in simple syrup :raz::wink:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Sutter Home has a moscato that BevMo is listing for under $4. I have never tasted it, but am sure it would be adequate for poaching. I also have not tasted the St. Supery so am unsure how sweet it is.

You may want to post this question on the Pastry forum where there are a lot of other pastry pros who have possibly dealt with this situation.

Perhaps a bit more reasonably priced, R.L. Buller's NV Fine Muscat can be had for about $12/375ml bottle. I don't know about stylistically.

Both are good wines, but worlds apart stylistically. The St. Supery is light, almost "spritzy" with semi-sweet grapefruit and citrus aromas.

The Bueller's is very thick and full-bodied with caramel and raisiny notes.

"Enjoy every sandwich."

Warren Zevon, 10/30/02

I agree with doc. Poach it in simple syrup. But add an aromatic to the syrup like vanilla, clove, almond, etc. Then you don't have to worry about cost.

Alternatively, find the cheapest red available. The wine isn't going to ruin a moscato pairing, and there's something about the presentation of a pear poached in red wine.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero