• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

budget wine shopping

mongo_jones

here are the criteria:

1. $100 is the total (before tax) that will be spent

2. purchases must cover important varietals and wine-producing regions

3. the point of the purchase is to identify individual wines which later purchases can get into in greater depth

4. the wine will mostly be drunk on its own--the food cooked in this home is largely korean and indian (not the kind you get in restaurants in the u.s)

scenario 1: 8 bottles (avg. price would be $12 but the range should be both over and under)

scenario 2: 6 bottles (avg. price $16.50)

scenario 3: 10 bottles (avg. price $10)

and, oh yes, this is for a wine shopper in the u.s.

thanks in advance!

mongo

Mongo - One option is to go to Marczyk Fine Wines in Denver and ask Kristin to help you put together a few bottles. I seem to remember that they give discounts on mixed half-cases and cases (and they even carried my box out to my car for me). It's a small shop without attitude and they have many reasonably-priced options from around the globe.

Meanwhile, below is my stab at a few under $20 that I've enjoyed (keeping in mind your desire to have a variety of grapes and regions represented). I've listed approximate prices.

Whites:

La Yunta Torrontes, Argentina ($10.00)

Alvaro Palacios, Placet, Rioja, Spain ($15.00)

Trimbach Riesling, Alsace, France ($17.00)

Chateau de la Greffiere, Macon La Roche Vineuse, France (Chardonnay) ($12.00)

St. Hallett Poachers Blend, Australia (Chenin Blanc, Semillon, Sauvignon Blanc) ($13.00)

Hippolyte Reverdy Chaudoux Verdigny Sancerre, France (Sauvignon Blanc) ($17.00)

J. & H.A. Strub, Riesling Spatlese, Germany (I think this is actually over $20, but it's so good)

Reds:

Louis Jadot, Beaujolais Villages, France ($8.00) (The $10 Jadot Pinot Noir is nice too)

La Crema Pinot Noir, Sonoma, California ($12.00)

Chateau Larose Trintaudon, Bordeaux, France (Cab/Merlot) ($14.00)

Qupe Syrah, Central Coast, California ($15.00)

Luis Felipe Edwards Cabernet Sauvignon, Chile ($15.00)

Cape Indaba Pinotage (Pinot Noir and Cinsault), South Africa (Western Cape) ($9.00)

M. Chapoutier, Petite Ruche, Crozes-Hermitage, France (Syrah) ($17.00)

Montes Alpha Merlot, Chile ($18.00)

Bubbly That is Not Champagne But Still Pretty Good (especially in mimosas):

Zardetto Prosecco, Italy ($8.00)

Cava Duran Brut Nature Gran Reserva, Spain ($9.00)

If you want to put together wines for a tasting, pick up Andrea Immer's book, "Great Wine Made Simple." Lots of fantastic ideas in there. If I knew more people into wine, I'd definitely utilize it more.

Places where I've procured or tasted the wines listed above: Marczyk Fine Wines, Boulder Wine Merchant, Superior Liquor Mart, Lukas Liquors, Hawaii Liquor Superstore, Wine Experience, Pour (now closed), Seed (now closed). I also read in the Post that there is a Target in Glendale, CO, that has a liquor license courtesy of a loophole regarding pharmacies. I haven't made it there yet, but I'd be willing to bet you could get some fairly good deals there (and the afore-mentioned Andrea Immer is apparently Target's wine consultant).

“When I was dating and the wine list was presented to my male companion, I tried to ignore this unfortunate faux pas. But this practice still goes on…Closing note to all servers and sommeliers: please include women in wine selection. Okay?”--Alpana Singh, M.S.-"Alpana Pours"

• 2 weeks later...

thank you my fellow coloradans! as for the rest of the habitues of this forum i can only conjecture that they're either sick of responding to questions such as mine or that their expertise does not extend to the budget in question.

Well, your geography would certainly make a big difference to the answer, and you never said where you were until a couple of your fellow denizens of the mountainous west gave away your secret.

Were you in the mid-atlantic east, I'd say go to Moore Bros and pick up the full case of 12 that they sell for $100 and call the Bon Marche collection. Wine shop owned by highly reputed sommellier, which maintains a limited select set of wines... his good taste reaches down into the lower priced wines too. The contents of the collection keep on changing with new interesting stuff making its way in regularly.

But since you're nowhere near South Jersey or Delaware, my advice doesn't do too much good for you... particularly since a flight to PHL from Colorado would blow your budget before you got here.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Well, your geography would certainly make a big difference to the answer, and you never said where you were until a couple of your fellow denizens of the mountainous west gave away your secret.

oh, i'm not upset--i don't expect that any or all of my questions should be enthusiastically answered just because i ask them. and while i've received two very-specific-to-my-exact-location answers i'll still be happy with more general suggestions if anyone has them--do retail prices vary so widely across states?

i didn't realize though that so many people were just waiting for me to divulge my zipcode. you people, you're so shy about asking follow-up questions.

oh, i'm not upset--i don't expect that any or all of my questions should be enthusiastically answered just because i ask them.  and while i've received two very-specific-to-my-exact-location answers i'll still be happy with more general suggestions if anyone has them--do retail prices vary so widely across states?

It's not so much the prices as the availablility that will vary from place to place...and most of the wines I would recommend in this price range are not wines with wide availability.

On top of that, you've asked for a comprehensive plan with good coverage of numerous wide-ranging regions. That's where the whole issue of availablilty really complicates things: putting together a viable plan that will actually work for you almost requires knowledge of your local selections. The only alternative is to settle for wine only from large-scale industrial producers. That would be a shame, because there is much reasonably priced wine from small-scale 'artisan' producers that's really good.

This is why your request looked hard to fulfull for me. Additionally, I am completely out of touch with the market for wines from anywhere in the New World that I'd have a very difficult time putting together such a plan.

Craig, perhaps we could pin the "great 10$ and under wines" thread. That way people could just keep adding to it when they make a new find. OTOH, that might just make for an out-of-control thread that no one reads.

--- Lee

Seattle

Just had to add a quick 'ack! :blink:$12 for a bottle of the La Crema Pinot? :shock: Don't I wish I'd been in your neck of the woods. I was just about to grab a bottle yesterday, when the $18.99 sticker caused me to pull my hand back, and reconsider. :hmmm: I love the stuff, was doing a raspberry glazed duck for dinner, and had pinot noir on the brain since first light, but mon dieu! It's added about $5 since the last bottle a month or so ago. :sad: Never fails with a yummy, affordable favorite.

Just had to add a quick 'ack! :blink:$12 for a bottle of the La Crema Pinot? :shock:  Don't I wish I'd been in your neck of the woods.  I was just about to grab a bottle yesterday, when the $18.99 sticker caused me to pull my hand back, and reconsider. :hmmm:  I love the stuff, was doing a raspberry glazed duck for dinner, and had pinot noir on the brain since first light, but mon dieu!  It's added about $5 since the last bottle a month or so ago.  :sad:  Never fails with a yummy, affordable favorite.

As you can see by the spread of pricing on the La Crema - it matters a lot where you live when it comes to pricing and what wines are available. On such general questions there is no replacing a dedicated and well-informed wine merchant. This is the best way to discover real bargains in your market. Perhaps your best approach would be to post in your regional forum and ask who the best wine merchants are for your needs.

Check out www.winemiles.com

We have a great selection of wines right in your price range.

The Artesa Pinot Noir from 3 different appelations. Carneros, Russian River Valley and Santa Barbara are all superb. All three of these appelations are producing excellent Pinot Noir and the Artesa is not only one of my favorites but one of our best selling wines at $14.89 each. If you look around, you'll have a hard time finding it for under $25.

If you'd like to try something completely different, check out the Chateau Felice Acier Chardonnay. Produced entirely from Russian River Valley estate vineyards, the winemaker uses no Oak aging and no Malolactic fermentation. In addition, it is whole-cluster pressed and fermented in temperature-controlled stainless steel tanks. Don't pay more than $14 for it.

For an incredible Zinfandel, try the Davis Family Vineyards Old Vine Zinfandel. Guy Davis purchased some property in Sebastapool for his home. On the property was a 20 acre 107 year old vineyard. It was in terrible condition. Overgrown with weeds and untended for many years. Guy was able to salvage 4 acres of of Zinfandel vines. He uses these vines exclusively in his Old Vine Zinfandel. I haven't tasted anything like it. The after taste is what really blows you away. The after taste of most wines is gone by the time your glass hits the table. Not so with Guy Davis' wines. The Old Vine Zin's after taste will continue 10-15 seconds after you've swallowed. They sell out every year and we've got less than 2 cases until the next release in the fall. This one is probably out of your price range but at $22.29 it is well worth a try.

The Zinfandels coming out the Sierra foothills are really something to try too. Folie a Deux makes a nice Amador County Zinfandel that is reasonably priced and very good.

For a current trend Chardonnay, (oak aging, malolactic fermentation) look around for the Kunde 2001 Sonoma Valley Chardonnay. Bon Appetite put it in their top 10 for April. Aromas of Granny Smith apples and spicy herbs. This full-bodied, Chardonnay boasts flavors of apple, pears and melon, with a buttery finish. Don't pay more than $11.50

Andy Szmidt

WineMiles.com - great wines! low prices!

The early bird may get the worm. But it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

La Crema Pinot Noir, Sonoma, California ($12.00)

Holy Canoli, where are you getting La Crema Pinot Noir for $12? :shock:

Around Seattle, it's $18-$19. I love it.

Edited because somebody already beat me to this exclamation!

Edited by sequim (log)