• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Fish and Chips (SEA)

Statement on the Best Bar Food thread prompted the question, and I apologize if this question has been covered on a previous thread, (if so, please feel free to merge it with this one.) I have to rise to the defense of Pacific Inn's Fish and Chips. Yeah, it's grotty, smoky and the service makes me want to just forget the place sometimes, but IMHO their Fish and Chips is some of the better stuff that I have had here in the city. I know that some of you will wonder just what planet I am from when I say I think that Spud's Fish and Chips is overrated. Alki and Greenlake have both been very, very average IMO, (and I REALLY wanted to like it.) The Lockspot is ok, but not my first choice.

SO...where are the Good Fish and Chips?

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

Ugh, I hope your thread takes off better than mine -- Why don't they deep fry the plate too?

As for the PI, I liked that they don't batter the fish, but they overly spiced it and thus overpowered the fish. The chips have alwasy been damn good. I have a long and great history with the PI (please don't ask) and I'd order the fried shrimp/prawns there before the fish and chips. Please tell me they changed Woodchuck Pear Cider back to Woodchuck Granny Smith!?!

Please. :sad::wub:

I know that some of you will wonder just what planet I am from when I say I think that Spud's Fish and Chips is overrated.

I totally agree. It's been years since I've had them so maybe they've changed. But they used to be heavy and the batter laden with cornmeal.

My favorite fish and chips are at Zesto's in Ballard. I love the tempura-like batter.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Chinook's in Ballard and the various Seattle-area McMenamin's do a decent fish and chips, as does the little tugboat-shaped stand at south Lake Union.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

I like the halibut & chips at Pyramid, more the the halibut than the chips, but that's my prejudice against steak fries.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Zestos....Never woulda thunkit! :laugh:

Looks like I will HAVE to try it and Chinooks...Mmmmmm....Fried Fish......(Homer Simpson slobbering sounds......)

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

Zestos....Never woulda thunkit! :laugh:

Looks like I will HAVE to try it and Chinooks...Mmmmmm....Fried Fish......(Homer Simpson slobbering sounds......)

Almost as good as donuts, eh? :rolleyes:

I too will have to try Chinook's. Sounds like a plan for soon.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

Chinooks has all you can eat fish and chips once a week. I think it's Mondays but give them a call. My Dad loves that place so I go there more than I care to. He always orders the fish and chips (but I still like Zestos better).

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Spuds was bought by Ivars, and now it sucks. On Alki, I like Sunfish. It's great fun to have fish/anything and chips at the counter at Jack's in the Market - there's about 6 stools, but is sooo fresh.

I dine at Chinooks regularly, but mostly for the pan fried oysters, which are perfectly cooked every time. And the chocolate fudge cake. I'll have to try the fish & Chips.

However, the best fish and chips in the area is in the summer in Port Townsend. On the old ferry dock, there's a little hut, run by one of the restaurants in town. They do fish in an ethereal dill batter - heaven on a paper plate. It's only open in the summer, all the better to don your shades and gaze at the mountains while eating that perfect fish. :biggrin:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Not fish and chips, but...I gotta give out props for Sunfish as well...That Fish Shiskabob rocks...

Spuds was bought by Ivars, and now it sucks.

I was wondering what the hell happened. I ate at Spuds a few weeks ago and it sucked. don't remember that from 10 years ago-->it was good back then! at least I thought so. dill in the tartar sauce, this was the first thing I noticed had changed...

Born Free, Now Expensive

I was wondering what the hell happened. I ate at Spuds a few weeks ago and it sucked. don't remember that from 10 years ago-->it was good back then! at least I thought so. dill in the tartar sauce, this was the first thing I noticed had changed...

Jeez - I'm gone for less than a year and Seattle just goes to hell. What's next, Starbucks buys Vivace?

I was wondering what the hell happened. I ate at Spuds a few weeks ago and it sucked. don't remember that from 10 years ago-->it was good back then! at least I thought so...

I will say Spuds officially sucks now.

We went to the Alki beach location today as I had a 2 for 1 coupon that I couldn't resist, and got an order of fish n chips and fried prawns n chips. The breading on both the fish and prawns (a kind of cornmeal breading) was bland and tasteless as in it tasted kind of stale, and the breading was undercooked in spots (yucky). The fish wasn't very flavorful either. The prawns I ended up picking half of the breading off, which made them redeemable. They were large in size, which was nice. I thought the tarter sauce was ok (I didn't detect any dill), but the tub of ketchup had separated and needed stirring to blend.

The fries were adequate, but some were slightly underdone.

I usually go to Sunfish on Alki out of habit & convenience, but the 1 time I had fish n chips at Chinooks I liked it.

When my step sister and I had fish n chips at Jack's at the Pike Place Market 1 1/2 years or so ago, we both thought they were too greasy.

Jeez - I'm gone for less than a year and Seattle just goes to hell. What's next, Starbucks buys Vivace?

oh god, can somebody please shoot me if that happens.

Born Free, Now Expensive

I will say Spuds officially sucks now.

I thought the tarter sauce was ok (I didn't detect any dill),

oh sorry, guess I wasn't clear about that. They used to have a great tartar that had dill in it. yummy. The tartar I had a couple weeks ago was fairly crappy, IMO... hmmmm I'm thinking next warm sunny weekend day Chinooks will be calling my name...

Born Free, Now Expensive

I had completely given up on fish and chips-frying seems like a not very nice thing to do to seafood in general-but this weekend my boyfriend and I beer battered and fried the walleye we caught in eastern Wa. over the weekend. It was hands down the best I've ever had.

I had completely given up on fish and chips-frying seems like a not very nice thing to do to seafood in general-but this weekend my boyfriend and I beer battered and fried the walleye we caught in eastern Wa. over the weekend. It was hands down the best I've ever had.

Many moons ago, back when I was a wee lad in Wisconsin, the best fish for Friday night tavern fish and chips was either perch from Lake Michigan or walleyed pike. I was back in Milwaukee last year and had some walleye as part of a fish and chips meal in a somewhat more upscale establishment than I was used to from my youth. The times and surroundings upped the cost of that "fish fry" from about $2 to $12 or so, but the fish reminded me of what I used to eat when I was younger -- it was delicious! As were the accompanying fries and cole slaw. It's nice to know not all childhood memories are corroded by the sands of time. :cool:

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

Walleye rocks! We always had this in Minnesota when visiting relatives, usually pan-fried. It was on the menu in Michigan when I was back there last year, and I had it as Fish & Chips at a pub. Yum.... :wub:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”