• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why do restaurants allow this?

porkpa

I don't know about chain restaurants because I never eat in them.

Until about seven years ago I would occasionally have breakfast at a diner or have some herring at a deli and they would always ask that question.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I never gave a thought that it would have been a time-saver. I just thought it was an assumption. I'll have to re-think it and examine the situation next time it happens.

I don't like to be manipulated, but if the wait/ress/er is saving steps, then I guess it is OK.

if we've changed even one person's outlook, our work here is done.

Edited by tommy (log)

Wait humans should never be presumptive. They should do their jobs and be rewarded accordingly. The customer doesn't need to figure out their motive for asking for tips.

Martinis don't come from vodka and bacon don't come from turkeys!

I find the 'do you need change' question offensive and don't frequent places that ask it. I am a heavy tipper, but if I wanted the waitron to keep the change, I'd say so. I only ever get asked this question in the US, by the way. If a restaurant tried this in Asia or Europe (or Canada or Mexico, for that matter), they would be considered staggeringly rude.

As far as it being asked to save the staff's time, that's nonsense. The question is asked to increase the tip take. Most customers are somehow intimidated in situations like this and it's easier (especially in front of a date or whatever) to tell the server keep it, plus you're more likely to get a better tip if they don't have time to do the math. You get a better average tip take with 'the question' than by always bringing the change. That's the main reason it's done.

Actually, I just thought of one place here in Hong Kong that asks it - a US-franchise bar whose staff make a lot of money ripping off US Navy sailors on shore leave who are too drunk to realize that they've just tipped heavily on top of a 15% service charge. They only ask when the sailors are in town.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Presumptuousness is the foundation of the tipping system as it has developed in the US. A tip is not truly a gratuity; it is in fact the server's salary. Once you become at peace with that state of affairs, you will not be easily bothered by presumptuousness.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

If the waitstaff is busting their humps in a busy section, I don't mind it. It saves them from having to bound (they always bound) back to the register and they take care of something else. Then they can hit the register on the way past it, and not inconvienience the customer.

If it's not busy, or the section isn't getting slammed, it's out of place. Asking me the question in that situation also tends to automatically make their tip a bit smaller...

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Don't you people have credit cards? You know you can get miles and stuff. And nobody will ever ask you if you need change.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I don't see presumptuousness as being the issue. For me, it's more just a question of politeness.

Most US restaurants manage to function without 'the question', especially once you get outside places like NYC and Las Vegas, or outside 3-ring-binder franchises. The question is a way to manipulate the customer. I simply prefer to frequent places that don't do that, and that allow their food and service to speak for themselves.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Most US restaurants outside places like NYC and Las Vegas are three-ring-binder franchises. But really, having done quite a lot of culinary road-tripping (as much as anyone on eGullet except Holly Moore), I haven't seen any sort of indication that "the question" is more common in NYC or Las Vegas than anywhere else.

Don't you people have credit cards? You know you can get miles and stuff. And nobody will ever ask you if you need change.

Being rather paranoid, I tend to use cash to keep as much of my personal data out of circulation as possible. Credit card companies are increasingly being pressured by everyone from health insurers to government to provide info on what people buy.

I don't really want my HMO to find out how much I spend on booze and cigars.

For all the people who are going to reply that I'm an insane conspiracy theorist, perhaps I am, but I'd ask you to remember DARPA's "Total Information Awareness" project (which BTW has been resurrected elsewhere).

Also, credit card companies take a nice little percentage of the total charge, effectively placing an additional tax on the restaurant. Some restauranteurs have been known to pass this "tax" onto their servers.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Being rather paranoid.....

JPW, just 'cause you are paranoid, that doesn't mean you are wrong!! You are preaching to the choir when speaking to me.....

Edited to add that my kids used to call me "paranoid".... now they call me "realistic." :wink:

Edited by Cynthia G (log)
"Portion control" implies you are actually going to have portions! ~ Susan G

Being rather paranoid, I tend to use cash to keep as much of my personal data out of circulation as possible. Credit card companies are increasingly being pressured by everyone from health insurers to government to provide info on what people buy.

I don't really want my HMO to find out how much I spend on booze and cigars.

:laugh:

For all the people who are going to reply that I'm an insane conspiracy theorist, perhaps I am, but I'd ask you to remember DARPA's "Total Information Awareness" project (which BTW has been resurrected elsewhere).

And, occasionally, wait staff have been known to help themselves to your credit card info..... some have been known to carry a small reader to take the info off the magnetic strip while on the way back to your table with your card.

Also, credit card companies take a nice little percentage of the total charge, effectively placing an additional tax on the restaurant. Some restauranteurs have been known to pass this "tax" onto their servers.

That's why some places don't take CC's or restrict them to orders over a certain amount. Not to mention the interest you pay on the amount you charged!

Not to mention the interest you pay on the amount you charged!

the flip side is that you don't pay any interest if you pay the balance within the month. most cards, in fact, offer a grace period beyond that. so in most cases you're getting a 45 day interest free loan (not to mention the miles/points/etc). sounds like a good deal to me, and certainly worth the risk of someone stealing my highly confidential information (i mean, it's pretty easy to get credit card numbers, and has been for years).

I always thought it was a time-saving thing.

This is what I was going to post had I been here early enough. The server wants to know if you are on the way out and need him/her to return with change or not. Even if it's the last seating, it's still what hsould be asked.

Servers have to look to see if you paid in cash or with a credit card. If cash, it's reflex to ask if change is needed. And give them the benefit of the doubt that they are not totalling up the amount of cash before asking -- the rare case where there is a sloitary $100 bill notwithstanding. Even in that latter case, it's still probably a question out of habit. The server may not even know what your specific bill came to unti s/he is closing you out at the computer or cash register.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I've never been offended by the question. I've never seen my server check out how much cash I've placed in the check presenter before asking me the question. And, if I am paying with cash, lots of times I'll include the tip. Not so much as a time saving method for the server, but for me.

But I'll add, I usually pay with a credit card and, if possible, will leave a cash tip. I've worked for places where, if you put your tip on your credit card bill, the waitstaff will not see it immediately.

Laurie

I'll take on faith that this is indeed a time-saving mechanism, and not an attempt at manipulating the customer. Why, then, can't the server simply state, "I'll be right back with this." Granted, it's two words more than asking "Do you need change?" but it can't in any way be interpreted as rude, and it makes more sense and covers all the bases if the server has no idea if the folder holds cash or a card. The customer is then open to say, "Thanks," or, "Oh no, we're on our way out." If the diner does need change, say to split a $20, then he should specifically mention that anyway.

Such an easy solution, so much better than a tersely worded, "Need change?" and the implied, "if you don't, then hurry up and get out."

Laurie B, welcome, and I'm with you about tips on credit cards. We always try to make sure we're packing something close to appropriate change, and I always stash a couple of tens and fivers so that we are usually able to pay the tab and give a tip in one swipe. Makes it easier on everyone.

My sister worked for a very high quality Greek restaurant where the credit card tips were paid out every two weeks. That always seemed like an interest-free loan.

Such an easy solution, so much better than a tersely worded, "Need change?" and the implied, "if you don't, then hurry up and get out."

Not what I was saying. If you don't need change, then the server doesn't need to return to the table with it (in the event you do wish to leave). The statement is not a euphemism for "get out."

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

In my mind that question is tip manipulation, but an understandable one in a hectic chain atmosphere where the balance of the clientele seriously undertip. Choosing to be offended by it is optional. I think leaving the offense behind and answering simply yes or no is sufficient. Save your aggravation for the traffic on the way home.

The US utilizes 'tip wages' much more than the rest of the world. I've been taught to think that many service people make next to nothing if I don't tip. Not so elsewhere though. Our hotel bellman in London was clearly overjoyed when we tipped him a pound per bag (quite heavy, and he he hauled them up a flight of stairs for us). We were kind of mystified by that until we realized the wage proportions are different. Still left 10 pounds for the maid though, for cleaning up all those baugette crumbs and wine corks.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

I think it is clear from the responses here that some significant percentage of diners find the question impolite or manipulative. I typically tip generously -- at least 20% in most situations, but "the question" will usually reduce the tip and have some influence on whether or not I return.

I wonder what waitpersons say, or restaurants instruct, if anything regarding this practice.

I wonder what waitpersons say, or restaurants instruct, if anything regarding this practice.

that's the only thing that matters at the end of the day, as it's as close to the truth as we'll get.

either way, as someone said, being offended and reducing the tip is optional. the latter perhaps being a little harsh.

I usually pay with a credit card and, if possible, will leave a cash tip.

This is standard operating procedure for me, so I rarely get the "do you need change" question.

On a few occasions where I've been caught short on cash and put the tip on the card, I've been asked by servers if I could please leave the tip in cash. Although as a former server I completely understand the logic, I find this far more offensive than "do you need change?".

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

As a former training manager for a small chain of large restaurants I can vouch that "the question" is not part of the training material. Instead servers are trained to immediately return with a guests change, or announce that they will be right back with change. The latter being statement not a question.

If the opposite is happening it is due to two things. First and most likely is that the server is just plain lazy. (No offense to any current servers, but I was one myself and asked this question when I just wanted to get away) Second, if managment allows this practice without reprimand the problem can and will increase exponentially.

Just my 2cents

Flip

"Beer is proof God loves us, and wants us to be happy."

-Ben Franklin-

The US utilizes 'tip wages' much more than the rest of the world.  I've been taught to think that many service people make next to nothing if I don't tip. 

Ain't it the truth. Thread convergence - just saw an article about Elias Corner (recently discussed on the Greek Restaurants in Astoria thread), to the effect that they have twice been shut down for minimum wage violations: apparently their staff was getting paid nothing but a share of the tip jar (or rather, tip bucket).