• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Crottin" Wedding Cake

Swisskaese

I am getting married in October and I thought it would be fun to have a "different" type of wedding cake. Wedding cakes are not very popular in Israel, but my boyfriend loves Provence and I thought it would a nice thing to have.

I saw a picture on the Martha Stewart website (please no Martha Stewart comments!) of a wedding cake (actually individual cakes) that look like crottin (goat cheese). I can't figure out how they created the "crottin" effect on the cakes.

Any ideas? What type of little pans would I use? Small flan pans?

BTW - I have searched the internet and the MSO website did not explain how they were made and did not provide a recipe.

What type of cake recipe would I use?

A picture of the cake is at :

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?ty...33&page=1&site=

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

I think in Bruce Healy's "The Art of the Cake" there is a recipe and directions for making small cakes that look like the cheeses you are referring to. Unfortunately the US Post Office lost my copy so I can't look it up to be sure. Does anyone else have that book?

Wait - using Amazon's "look inside this book" feature, you can see what I'm talking about on the back cover here (top middle image). Is this close to what you're looking for?

That is very close to what I want, but I think that Sinclair has the actual recipe from Martha Stewart. If she can't find it, then I will order this book.

It looks like they scored the cake? Or did they score a cream colored icing and then put icing sugar on top?

Thanks a lot! :smile:

Nope, still no power at the Bellagio. They told me yesterday not to come in today (it's normally my day off anyway), but they might need me tomorrow. It's nice to be able to sleep in (till 4:00 am - hah!), but all those employees who aren't working are also not being paid to stay home. Last night they thought the lights might be back on this morning. Still no word on what caused the outage.

I spent all last night looking thru my major files and I haven't found it yet. I don't know where I put this....I have alot of different files, etc... I'll keep looking but it's looking doubtful that I'll find it, I'm sorry.

But that shouldn't detour you at all! The main issue will be finding a pan with a similar shape. Vertually any cake can be baked to resemble these. I'd probably make a lemon cake with lemon curd piped into the center (from the bottom) then dusted in xxxsugar. Serve bowls of whipped cream and berries on each table to accompany.

Off the top of my head I'm thinking popover pans would be the closest in shape to what they've used here. Perhaps other people here will have dirrect links of sources for these?????

If your really dying for the exact instructions, I know that MS has a message board you can post on. Certainly many people there will have that issue and can re-print exactly what she did for that.

I just found the Crottin Cake recipe on the Martha Stewart Website. If anyone is interested it is located under the Weddings bulletin board, "Ceremony and Receptions". Click on "Archives" and click "Search". Type in "Crottin Cake" and you will find the recipe.

Thanks again, Wendy!

:biggrin:

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

• 3 weeks later...