• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: NYC Butcher

Fat Guy

@weinoo we primarily use FD for bulky/heavy things - paper towels, toilet paper, sparkling water... but here and there we get other things like that cornish hen since it's not available in my neighborhood, and lately we haven't had much time to go further afield... but I'll check out La Pera Brothers... thank you!

ETA - just checked out their website... which is a little frustrating - why do they show cute photos of the animals walking around (unannotated with breed or information), but don't have a list of the stuff that they sell or prices?  it's great that they deliver, but I still have to go to Brooklyn to go to their shop to find out what they have and how much it costs.

Edited by KennethT (log)

On 3/24/2018 at 10:00 AM, paulraphael said:

What do you know about their chickens? Their site doesn't have much info.

The must have 5 or 6 different types (breeds?) of chicken for your dining pleasure. I'm pretty sure all the birds he sells are "organic," but whether that means anything any more is a matter of semantics, I guess.

I buy the Sasso bird, and learned about that particular chicken after seeing a couple of articles about it.

Sasso’s presence on posh New York plates is owed to the efforts of Jacob Helfrich, second-generation owner of Watkins Poultry Merchants in East New York, a wholesale distributor to the city’s 80-odd live-animal markets. A few years back, Sasso bigwigs enlisted Helfrich to launch their line on the East Coast, flying him over to France to sample their wares and select the specific genetic cross he’d market to his customers, most of whom serve immigrant communities with very specific poultry-buying criteria. These connoisseurs, it turns out, desire distinct reddish coloring; long legs and a thin, narrow, V-shaped breast; substantial amounts of yellow fat; and the richer flavor and firmer texture that are the hallmarks of a slow-growing, well-raised bird. Such characteristics define the X44B, Sasso’s proprietary name for the animal Helfrich now traffics in: French-bred, Quebec-hatched, Pennsylvania-reared, and sold live at places like LaPera Bros. Poultry, a Borough Park relic where manager Carlo Formisano made the shrewd decision to market it to chefs under the exotic-sounding Sasso name, rather than the more generic red pullet. Since his first Sasso chef sale to Daniel three years ago, business has boomed; Le Turtle’s Proechel has gone from selling four or five birds a night to 60 to 80 a week.

Grubstreet

Sasso

Watkins Poultry

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

52 minutes ago, weinoo said:

The must have 5 or 6 different types (breeds?) of chicken for your dining pleasure. I'm pretty sure all the birds he sells are "organic," but whether that means anything any more is a matter of semantics, I guess.

I buy the Sasso bird, and learned about that particular chicken after seeing a couple of articles about it.

Grubstreet

Sasso

Watkins Poultry

Cool, thanks. How do the Sasso birds compare with the Bobo "black plume" birds that Jeffrey used to sell? I thought those were great, and only about $4/lb at the time. 

Do you recall what Lapera charges for the Sassos? 

Notes from the underbelly

I think it's the best chicken I've ever tasted in the US.  Great texture, flavor.  That Fermier Rouge I bought at Union Market is also good, but there's obviously no match for the freshness of a bird you buy at La Pera; as a matter of fact, you actually should wait 24 hours before cooking the bird from La Pera, so it relaxes after slaughter.

My memory says $2.99/lb. for the Sasso chicken, and they give you a card that gets stamped for every bird you buy - buy 10, get one free!

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?