• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food stuff around Sloane Square?

This will be my first trip to London and my family and I will be staying in a flat in the Chelsea/Knightsbridge area near Sloane Square. I just wanted some recommendations on places nearby to eat and most of all nearby markets, food shops and grocery stores.

Best bread in the area, best cheese store, desserts, organic food stores, everything.

On Saturday mornings, there's a farmers' market in Orange Square, on the corner of Pimlico Road and Ebury Street. Here's the URL. It isn't huge, nor is it a fine foods market like Borough with lots to snack on, but it is a genuine farmers' market, with organic local food (the fish is good, there's interesting meat in season, including all sorts of game, kid goat and mutton, and there is some good cheese) and quite a lot of organic fruit and veg (a wonderful organic apple stall). I don't go here anything like as much as I should given that I live nearby, but it would be very convenient for you if you're near Sloane Square. Just next to it, there's a pub called the Orange Brewery, which although not super-amazing, is a nice place for a pint and which I think I remember that it brews its own beers. It's also near the Ebury, a restaurant that's been reviewed elsewhere on this board, favourably I think (I've never been).

Of course, you're also not far from Harrod's Food Hall, which is a joy - obviously a huge selection of very high quality stuff (I had some amazing aged beef from there recently - but v expensive).

As far as other restaurants go, there's Racine, a French cuisine bourgoise restaurant which other posters have really enjoyed (again, never been). Posters on CH speak highly of the Lebanese food at Ishbilia (9 William St, Knightsbridge).

There's a grocery store on Kings Road about a 5 minute walk from Sloan Square which is good for staples. Near Draycott Avenue (at least I think that's the street -- it's been a couple of years).

And there's Rococo, the chocolate shop -- 321 Kings Road.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

There's a decent Waitrose and a Safeway on Kings Road, not far from Sloane Square. Also you must go to l'Artisan du Chocolat at 89 Lower Sloane Street - the street that starts on the corner where Gieves is...

I'd stay far away from anyplace on Sloane Square proper or on Knightsbridge itself, even the ones that look appealing - like Oriel, where the last time I stopped there for a drink, I had a glass of wine that was nearly thrown at me by the very bad-tempered server, and cost something like £14!! and Gloriette (sp?) a very appealing-looking patisserie across from Harrods, where everything tastes like cardboard.

If you want to spend a mint in order to be part of a 'scene', you have Zuma on Rafael Street for nouveau-Japanese near Harrods - the service and food are good but very expensive - you are definitely paying for the decor and atmosphere. I'd say it's not really for kids.

But do veer down Kings Road and things improve somewhat. There's an Al Dar (very good Lebanese) at 74 Kings Road; there are some decent and atmospheric 'gastro-pubs' such as the Cross Keys (1 Lawrence Street) in the heart of posh Chelsea; Builders Arms at 13 Britten Street, just behind the Waitrose; The Atlas at 16 Seagrave Street in Fulham...and a 20 minute bus ride from Sloane Square, in Battersea is one of my favourite restaurants in London - Ransome's Dock at 35 Parkgate in Battersea - great for all meals, kids and adults.

I haven't been, but the Ebury Wine bar (139 Ebury Street) has received some good press as well - I think there may be some reviews on this board.

Speaking of chocolate, there's a wonderful high-end chocolate shop a stone's throw away from you - but I can't for the life of me remember the name. It's between Sloane Square and the Pimlico Road, either on Holbein Place, Passmore Street or Bourne Street I think, and it's the one that supplies the gorgeous salted caramel truffles to Gordon Ramsay's places.

But - d'oh - I can't remember the name, or find it on Google. Can anyone help out?

[EDIT:]

As if by magic, magnolia's post correctly identfying Artisan du Chocolat and getting its address right appeared just as I was posting my ill-informed scribblings!

[suitably ashamed face]

I like the Ebury Wine Bar a lot. It's not amazing food, but it's competent, very friendly, and full of locals.

Edited by Stigand (log)

As you noted ! Hope I have put you out of your misery.

Obviously great minds think alike :smile:

Here's hoping they'll be selling some last-minute Easter eggs at Borough Market tomorrow...

Edited for crossing wires!

Edited by magnolia (log)

There's a stall at Pimlico Farmers' Market that sells pretty good bread - they major in biodynamic bread featuring unusual grains, but I buy their regular wholemeal loaf from time to time and it is very good too.

My favourite loaf in London, that I'd travel to obtain, is the St John's white bread. Available at St John, St John Bread & Wine, and Neal's Yard Dairy in Borough Market (not sure whether they sell it at the original Neal's Yard Dairy). It's a huge crusty behemoth of a white loaf, and costs £2.75 - afraid I'm so ignorant about baking that I can't tell you more about it, but it is wonderful and worth the money IMO. If you are on vacation, going to one of St Johns or to Borough Market to pick one up shouldn't be too much of a hardship :wink: .

My favourite loaf in London, that I'd travel to obtain, is the St John's white bread. Available at St John, St John Bread & Wine, and Neal's Yard Dairy in Borough Market (not sure whether they sell it at the original Neal's Yard Dairy). It's a huge crusty behemoth of a white loaf, and costs £2.75 - afraid I'm so ignorant about baking that I can't tell you more about it, but it is wonderful and worth the money IMO. If you are on vacation, going to one of St Johns or to Borough Market to pick one up shouldn't be too much of a hardship :wink: .

We are definitely willing to venture far for good market stuff!!! We will check out Borough market for sure. Thanks

Don't overlook Elizabeth Street - v close to Sloane Square. it has poilane the bakers, baker and spice and the chocolate society and some nice hats for the girls (philip treacy) (good wine shop too and a deli i can't remember the name of - are they both called jeroboams?)

i can recommend the fruit compote at the farmers market.

you will of course be close to Gordon Ramsay - the best restaurant in London by a distance (imho)

[damn just got chocolate society truffle over the keyboard!)

waitrose in the Kings Road is the best supermarket

You're not far from Baker & Spice on Denyer Street just off Draycott Avenue just north of the King's Road. Terrific pastries and goodies and The Table at which to eat them. Or, for breakfast, get their bread basket assortment, dig into the giant slab of butter on The Table and help yourself to the fabulous homemade jams and marmalades that they serve. When I was there last (with Magnolia, no less!) we had the greatest quince jam and organic orange marmalade. They serve a delicious latte (albeit a bit small -- hint, hint to the powers that be :raz: ) and have a fabulous kitchen turning out gorgeous deli salads and entrees to eat in at lunch or take away.

They also have a new location on Elizabeth Street, which is not far from Sloane Square. At this new locale they have a butcher as well. I had some samples of sausage there. Delish.

And another favorite spot of mine (which Magnolia recommended to me several years ago), is Lisboa Patisserie on Golborne Road at the north end of Portobello Road. Portuguese pastries and coffee. Get a plateful of pasteis de nata (custard tarts) and galao, grab a table outside and enjoy.

St John can never be recommended too often and I must say that the best way to eat their bread is when they serve it alongside the roasted bone marrow!

edited to say that enthusiast beat me by seconds to the baker & spice reference!

Edited by kitwilliams (log)

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Partridge's of Sloan Street, just north of Sloan Square, is a tad pricey but offers a little bit of everything. Avoid the produce, but the salamis, hams, etc., are fine.

The one restaurant in the immediately vicinity I enjoyed has, I believe, closed. That was Creeler's, a branch of the Scottish seafood restaurants on Arran and in Edinburgh. At least last time I stayed in the neighborhood, four years ago, I found slim pickings.

I'll vouch for the Waitrose on Kings Road.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

And another favorite spot of mine (which Magnolia recommended to me several years ago), is Lisboa Patisserie on Golborne Road at the north end of Portobello Road. Portuguese pastries and coffee. Get a plateful of pasteis de nata (custard tarts) and galao, grab a table outside and enjoy.

Just returned from there this moment ! Am now full of caffeine and custard tart.

St John can never be recommended too often and I must say that the best way to eat their bread is when they serve it alongside the roasted bone marrow!

yeah it can. :wink:

don't forget that St John is a polarising restaurant to some it's the ants' pants, and to others the emperors new clothes.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

And another favorite spot of mine (which Magnolia recommended to me several years ago), is Lisboa Patisserie on Golborne Road at the north end of Portobello Road.  Portuguese pastries and coffee.  Get a plateful of pasteis de nata (custard tarts) and galao, grab a table outside and enjoy.

Just returned from there this moment ! Am now full of caffeine and custard tart.

you are CRUEL! :sad:

kit

Weebl

yeah it can. :wink:

don't forget that St John is a polarising restaurant to some it's the ants' pants, and to others the emperors new clothes.

Of course you are right by some, Scott. But all I can do here is post my own, most humblest opinion! :wink: (back at ya!)

And I'm going to Ciudad in LA on Tuesday evening for cocktails with Fergus. Of course, "cocktails" really means buying a book, getting it signed and perhaps relating my squirrel story for a chuckle or two. But let me have my little fantasy.

Back on topic, in the newly built-up Duke of York area off the King's Road is an interesting little cafe/deli whose name I don't recall but Gail Stephens (Baker & Spice) recommended it to me. I stopped in and what was on offer looked very tasty. Anyone know the name? Been there? Can confirm whether or not it is worth a visit?

kit

Weebl

Back on topic, in the newly built-up Duke of York area off the King's Road is an interesting little cafe/deli whose name I don't recall but Gail Stephens (Baker & Spice) recommended it to me.  I stopped in and what was on offer looked very tasty.  Anyone know the name?  Been there?  Can confirm whether or not it is worth a visit?

Yes, i've been there - I don't remember what it's called but it's just next to Manicomio, an unmemorable Italian restaurant that might even own the cafe - We stopped into the cafe to get hot chocolate and had a quick look around, it has both eat-in and takeaway - the same light wood-y atmosphere as Baker & Spice - lots of Italian branded products, a bit like Carluccio's. Though if Gail Stephens recommends it, perhaps it's worth a closer look...next time I'm in the 'hood I'll check it out and report back.

Have fun with Fergus !

Edited by magnolia (log)