• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hi,

Heading to LA later this month. Would like to hit a great outdoor market, I think I heard the best was either in Santa Monica or Venice, but not sure. Also, is there a great wine bar or wine store that I should go to. Would love to try some more California Syrahs, especially from Santa Barbara.

Thanks for your insight...>Ed

Ed McAniff

A Taster's Journey

If you're talking about outdoor farmers' markets, then it's hard to beat the Wednesday Santa Monica market on Arizona, between 2nd and 4th. It is especially nice if you're looking for organics. There's a nice farmers' market at the same location on Saturdays, but it's not as big.

The Hollywood farmers' market (around Ivar I believe) on Sundays is also nice.

There is a farmers' market in Venice. It's a nice neighborhood option, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go to it.

A for a wine store, while I'm no expert, I like Wally's on Westwood Blvd. I've always found the staff very knowledgeable, pleasant, and not overbearing.

Good luck and enjoy your stay.

Agree with everything said here but wanted to add one thing, if you are coming from a part of the world where there are no Trader Joe's markets, you really should go check one out for the wine and wine staff . . . though Wally's is great.

Check through some of my Digests of the LA Times Food section on the Media board. I seem to recall articles about places with great selections and knowledgeable staff for wine and other stuff. If you get onto the the main Food page at the LA Times web site, they have a directory of all the farmers markets throughout Greate LA but Wednesday in Santa Monica is the best.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

• 2 weeks later...

For markets, I love the Ivar Farmer's Market on Sundays in Hollywood. Go to the Pususa stand!

You should also check out the Farmer's Market on Fairfax. It is permanent and kind of an indoor/outdoor thing, with vegetable, meat, chees, and bakery stands, along with many booths that served food. There are a few places, including Monsiuer Marceau's (sp?) that do wines by the glass.

For better stuff, Beachfan is right on about AOC. Get a reservation--it gets so crowded, even at the bar. The food's wonderful, too!

Greenblat's up on Sunset has a winebar in their shop. Not great on atmosphere but they sometimes have interesting things.

Wine House is terrific--you might check out one of theis classes. Du Vin on San Vicente is also a winner.