• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

El Bulli 2004

Digijam

I've described Adrià's food as seeming not so much creative, but as the evolved food of another culture. A culture other than western civilization, or perhaps another planet. It's sophisticated but seeminly based on a different standard. Above all else, it just doesn't always (usually?) remind me of Spain because it doen't always support wine and it's not supportive of wine. I've sometimes felt we ordered wine out of habit and might have drunk juice, tea or some as yet undiscovered liquids. The wine was something I drank between courses rather than with the food. A switch from white to red during the meal seemed more a matter of form than of an attempt to match the next courses. I was reminded by this the other evening when some hearty flavorful meat dishes made an inexpensive and not particularly interesting red wine so enjoyable.

Here in the US, diners don't drink that much wine from Jerez and Sanlucar and when they do, it is rarely with a meal, but as an aperitif. In Spain we mostly drank finos and manzanillas the same way, as a cocktail or aperitif, but we have also had manzanilla with simple seafood, raw, steamed or boiled and it's terrific. From the description of the manzanilla pasada, I can see it going well with some of your menu.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Here in the US, diners don't drink that much wine from Jerez and Sanlucar and when they do, it is rarely with a meal, but as an aperitif. In Spain we mostly drank finos and manzanillas the same way, as a cocktail or aperitif, but we have also had manzanilla with simple seafood, raw, steamed or boiled and it's terrific. From the description of the manzanilla pasada, I can see it going well with some of your menu.

You're right, Jerez (fino) and manzanilla are both quite enjoyable with food, mainly with boiled seafood, fried fish and with jabugo where they really enhance each others flavour. And I find them very suitable pairing modern tasting menus.

The main problem, even in Spain, is to find fresh bottles because they loose easyly their enchant and most of the times they become remontadas ie they get oxidized. Some of them like Osborne's Fino Quinta have an expiry date at their back.

The other problem is that having 15º of alcohol and as they are very easy to drink, you can have a problem by the end of the meal :laugh:

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

Rogelio, Thanks for the information. It would seem that when I get to El Bulli (whenever that will be!), I'll be better off not spending a lot of money on wine, but maybe sticking with sherries, cavas or Spanish whites such as albarinos.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

You're right, Jerez (fino) and manzanilla are both quite enjoyable with food, mainly with boiled seafood, fried fish and with jabugo where they really enhance each others flavour. And I find them very suitable pairing modern tasting menus.

The main problem, even in Spain, is to find fresh bottles because they loose easyly their enchant and most of the times they become remontadas ie they get oxidized. Some of them like Osborne's Fino Quinta have an expiry date at their back.

The other problem is that having 15º of alcohol and as they are very easy to drink, you can have a problem by the end of the meal :laugh:

The alcohol is not such a problem for me. Nowadays I see so many wines that run 13 or 14 percent anyway and finos and manzanillas seem to induce smaller sips than most other wines. I don't know that I'd want to drink them all though dinner though.

The main problem is as you say, finding them fresh. I've seen a few bottles with dates or some code, but the code is not always easy to read. I think the reason I don't drink them here is that they're most often not fresh. Most people think they taste better in Sanlucar, Jerez or Sevilla because of the ambience. I suspect it's just that they are fresher and better.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.