• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: My Journey to becoming a Food writer

Monica Bhide

The future is not a result of choices among alternative paths offered by the present, but a place that is created--created first in the mind and will, created next in activity. The future is not some place we are going to, but one we are creating. The paths are not to be found, but made, and the activity of making them, changes both the maker and the destination.

John Schaar, futurist

Join me in my quest to find out what the right thing for me is......

+++

Be sure to check The Daily Gullet home page daily for new articles (most every weekday), hot topics, site announcements, and more.

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Monica, I predict your journey is going to take you places you never imagined. Good luck!

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I found that very moving. Many artists (painters, sculptors, musicians, actors, writers, etc.) are artists because we are unhappy when the work most of us do to support ourselves takes so much time and energy out of us that we are no longer able to express ourselves through our art. And the other part of it is that for most people, in order to become professionals in an artistic field, it is necessary to have to do it; otherwise, we'd never put up with the lack of material things and insecurity that plagues the lives of most of us. A lot of people won't understand, because for them, work is just what they do for money, but I know that the many chefs who frequent this site will understand perfectly.

Michael aka "Pan"

monica,

i agree with pan--very moving and good luck to you as you follow your dreams.

You will be a doctor, a lawyer, an engineer. You will work all your life for a corporation and provide for your family.

but you do know, right, that india also has people who do lots of things other than medicine, law and corporate finance, right? and they haven't all devastated their families :-) there's even some food-writers and chefs there.

mongo

This has been the hardest piece for me to send out publicly. Its a very personal piece and close to my heart. This site has a lot of GREAT writers whose stories have inspired me... Steven Shaw for example. I hope that this will give some other new writer the courage to follow their dreams.

And printing a poem that was done when I had no sense of what it meant to write was very difficult. But you know what... its the truth and the truth is not always well composed or beautiful.. it just is.

I agree that there are many people in India and other places who are very successful in professions other than medicine etc.. however those are well paying and well respected professions and it was hard for my family, personally, when I took this decision. My husband is very supportive and that helps considerably.

I hope that others will post their stories here. There is always a need for more inspiration!

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Monica,

Congratulations on creating and following your new path in Life. I wish you much success.

If you're looking for more outlets for your writing, I can suggest Chile Pepper Magazine. It publishes 6 times a year and is dedicated to hot & spicy cuisine. I can't really recall if they've ever really delved into the spicy side of Indian cuisine or have even done an "Indian" issue (sometimes they do "theme" issues, like Caribbean or Barbecue). I think a primer on hot & spicy side Indian cuisine and ingredients would be right up their alley, so to speak.

I am sure they would welcome your expertise. Just a thought...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

What a wonderful decision you made and I'm happy you got your father's understanding. It's inspiring to see someone who's had the comfort (ie money) of the corporate life and who turns away from it. I predict you will be as successful with your writing career as you were in getting two degrees and working in the corporate world.

Monica,

congratulations on making these choices and thank you for sharing the process with us.

BTW, for anyone who can relate to denying themselves permission to be follow their passions, may I recommend reading The Artist's Way, by Julia Cameron with Mark Bryan (eG link).

Monica,

Congratulations on creating and following your new path in Life. I wish you much success.

If you're looking for more outlets for your writing, I can suggest Chile Pepper Magazine. It publishes 6 times a year and is dedicated to hot & spicy cuisine. I can't really recall if they've ever really delved into the spicy side of Indian cuisine or have even done an "Indian" issue (sometimes they do "theme" issues, like Caribbean or Barbecue). I think a primer on hot & spicy side Indian cuisine and ingredients would be right up their alley, so to speak.

I am sure they would welcome your expertise. Just a thought...

Oh now that would be nice! If you have any contacts there I would love to get them. I dont believe I know anyone there. :smile:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Alas, Monica, I know no one there. I wish I did only so I could recommend you to them.

I have been a subscriber to the magazine since practically Day One and I am an avowed chile head. I just figured you'd be a natural to write for the magazine (published cookbook author that you are), especially on a topic like the spicy side of Indian cuisine, a subject that, as I noted, I really haven't seen covered well in their past issues.

In fact, I could see it as a nice series starting with a primer introducing the various spices and "heat" particular to Indian food including some recipes for spice blends as well as basic "hot" dishes. Then there could be a look at regional Indian "heat" or a look at holiday/traditional dishes. Come to think of it, not all the recipes they publish are for "hot" dishes. The spiciness of their published recipes vary from very mild to very hot. That would open up quite a spectrum of possibilities.

Hey, just flesh some of these posts out and you'd have a nice proposal letter!

Good luck to you, Monica!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Monica, please when you do a book tour for your new book, please come back to Canada again(if possible come to Montreal). I missed your couple of television appearances in Canada for your first book. Although it's possible I might of caught one of your television appearances, but totally forgot about it now(I would have no idea who you were at the time). I promise to get a copy of your new book, when it's released next month(is it still scheduled for a May release?).

-Steve

Edited by SteveW (log)

Monica,

I reread your artcile today and I'm even more impressd.

I've taken the liberty of posting a link to it on another forum's board, (The Motley Fool's "Moving Out of the Fast Lane"), which deals with career change and following one's dreams. I know people there will find your example inspiring.

THANX

SB

Monica,

I reread your artcile today and I'm even more impressd.

I've taken the liberty of posting a link to it on another forum's board, (The Motley Fool's "Moving Out of the Fast Lane"), which deals with career change and following one's dreams. I know people there will find your example inspiring.

THANX

SB

Thank you. :blush:

I am really hoping some of the other writers on eG will step up and post here.. I have learnt so much from them and that really was the purpose of the piece... I am not the first one and certainly not the last one..

come on guys... I know who you are :raz:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Monica, please when you do a book tour for your new book, please come back to Canada again(if possible come to Montreal). I missed your couple of television appearances in Canada for your first book. Although it's possible I might of caught one of your television appearances, but totally forgot about it now(I would have no idea who you were at the time). I promise to get a copy of your new book, when it's released next month(is it still scheduled for a May release?).

-Steve

No book tour for the second book. It is a simple series cookbook with Indian recipes straight up. No fuss no mess.. just simple Indian recipes -- with a taste of the regions-- for beginners to the cuisine. The third book ... maybe :wink:

Yes it is scheduled for a May release. I just got a copy and was thrilled to see it.

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Believe it or not, I never read much food writing when I was growing up. I read whatever I could find. When I came to the States years ago, I started by reading Rohinton Mistry (not a food writer) and dreamt of writing like him someday.. I still do!

I guess my writing has been influenced the most by my father's writing. He would ( in his secret book no less) - write a lot of Urdu poetry. He and I would sit together for hours as he read and explained old Hindi poetry to me. Also there was Indian writer whom he would read to me who told gentle stories and I guess I always wanted to be like that - I believe the writers name was Prem Chand.

More recently, I have started reading the works of MFK Fisher. I think Manil Suri has the style I enjoy.

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice