• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hype

Brad Ballinger

I received a brochure in the mail for a retailer's upcoming sale. One page was devoted to 2003 German wine futures offerings. Here's the hype from the brochure...

The 2003 vintage in Germany is, unquestionably, the finest vintage ever produced. There is no question that the 2003 German wines will age extremely well. A comparison of the 2003 wines is being made to wine produced in the 1500s. The long hot summer produced grapes of very high sugar content and intense flavor. This is one vintage of riesling you will not want to miss. The wine is outstanding, and, unfortunatley, very little was made; so it's scarce.

Does stuff like this hook you? It can be from any retailer, critic, user on a wine board, etc. Do you buy into it? If so, what hooks you. If not, why not?

By the way, I asked some people I know who know this vintage firsthand (RieslingFan being one of them), and the general opinion is that these will be ripe ripe ripe wines, very good (and very expensive) at classified auslese levels and higher. But for the true riesling fan (no pun intended, David), they will be lacking that racy quality often sought. Oh, and many feel the wines aren't for aging (except those ultra expenseive dessert wines).

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Comparisons to wines made in the 1500s? Wow, now that is what I call hype.

Unless what they mean is all the wines in the 1500s sucked, then that would be thought of as anti-hype. Regardless, points, reviews, magazine articles don't influence me much. I like what I like and nobody can make me enjoy a wine unless I truely do.

slowfood/slowwine

Good point by Mr. "T",

A classic marketing techniqu that is supposed to look professional.

This note should be of major interest to the trade or collectors, yet purchasing without tasting is a major no, no.

Think its worth it? find the time to visi t the region or ask your supplier for samples to allow a vertical tasting.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

The 2003 vintage in Germany is, unquestionably, the finest vintage ever produced.

What a ridiculous statement. "Ever" is a long time.

...also why would anyone buy futures at these exchange rates? It is hard imagining the dollar getting much weaker.

For a more intelligent discussion of the 2003 vintage, read Terry Theise's report here.

As far as the hyperbole, it will always be with us.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero