• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Southern California Wedding Cake

I'm getting married and we've set up our wedding cake tastings at Sweet Lady Jane, Susina (formerly Sugarplum, and one of our favorite lunch spots already), and Hansen's Bakery.

Anywhere we're missing? We're looking for more of a really, really great chocolate cake for 110 people than a traditional wedding cake.

I'm not a big fan of sweet lady jane, but I can't think of any other options at the moment, I'm not in L.A. I've been at events where slj did the cake (I think the berry one and the chocolate) and I have been to the shop several times. I like a more tender textured cake.

Minority opinion of course.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Skip Hansens, unless you want to go for laughs. Of course, that's where I got my wedding cake but that was a really long time ago and I didn't know any better at the time. Please forgive me.

What about Cake Divas?

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Y'all, thanks for all your help. I dutifully wrote down all your suggestions for next weekend- except we found the perfect cake Saturday. Not at Sweet Lady Jane, which, for all the hype, looked much prettier than it tasted. And definitely not at Hansen's- we should have taken the advice to skip that!

We're getting five beautiful, delicious St. Honore cakes from Susina, which I cannot recommend highly enough. Their cakes were all far and away the best we had that day, and the best we could remember having, ever- and the owner is so amazing and helpful.