• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I lack big bucks, and I can not lie

Let's say, hypothetically, you had a friend who recently blew off a well-padded, Inside the Beltway boondoggle for a much more rewarding, but considerably less remunerative, creative gig. And let's also say that -- while fitter, saner and at considerably reduced risk of randomly braining a passing congressman with a hardback copy of the CQ Washington Information Directory -- your friend (call him Sir Eat-A-Lot) was really, really missing the fringe benefit of regularly dining out on somebody else's dime. Where would you send this impecunious notional acquaintance to find food that tastes like it ought to cost much more than it actually does? We're talking Palena cafe here, or Corduroy happy hour appetizers. Big, fat, honking deals. There's just got to be more of them out there, right? Come on, let's get a good cheap eats thread going that doesn't peter out into "read the Washingtonian guide." There's imaginary mouths to feed.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

My list of best bang for the buck, turbo in the back of the Honda, baby Got Back food that should cost a hell of a lot more than it does

1)Jaleo

2)Jaleo

3)Jaleo

4)Bombay Curry Company (Del Ray/Arlandria)

5)THAI (Shirlington)

6)Taqueria Poblano -- as long as you have 3 or 4 of the margaritas ($4.50 last time I was there)

7)Roger Miller (SS) -- granted there aren't any high end African restaurants that I can think of, but the food here would definately hold up to a higher price point.

8)Mark's Kitchen (TP)

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

See, that's what I'm talking about. I must have driven past Roger Miller a dozen times and thought: "I wonder what Cameroonian food is like?" (Also: "What's up with the astroturf?") Next time, I'm going in. And Mark's Kitchen will fit nicely with an early trip to the Takoma farmer's market this Sunday. Thanks, JPW. Oh, and you're a Silver Springer, right? How's Parkway Deli?

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

See, that's what I'm talking about. I must have driven past Roger Miller a dozen times and thought: "I wonder what Cameroonian food is like?" (Also: "What's up with the astroturf?") Next time, I'm going in. And Mark's Kitchen will fit nicely with an early trip to the Takoma farmer's market this Sunday. Thanks, JPW. Oh, and you're a Silver Springer, right? How's Parkway Deli?

Astroturf = all weather outdoor eating with NO mud. :smile:

Cameroonian restaurant = goat, get the "other stuff" instead of rice (I forget the name but it's kind of like a foamed tofu), enjoy the African MTV videos on the big tv.

And oh yeah - beer from the bottle. Pretty standard in most of sub-Saharan Africa as you don't even want to know what's in the water that they use to wash glasses. Habit seems to have carried over to the states and given DC area water that may actually be a good thing.

Parkway = funny old Jewish deli/diner.

A few people have tried the new place next door Red Dog (you may have to scroll a bit to find initial comments. I haven't made it over yet.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Sietsema speaks highly of the lunch bar menu at Galileo.

Half price oysters and cold beer at Old Ebbit Grill's happy hour.

Lavandou (sp?) in Cleveland Park has different specials every week night.

McCormick and Schmick has $1.99 bar menu both for happy hour and late night drinking.

Cameroonian restaurant = goat, get the "other stuff" instead of rice (I forget the name but it's kind of like a foamed tofu), enjoy the African MTV videos on the big tv.

Is that foo foo (or fufu) that you're talking about?

EXACTLY!

Thanks Jen

Joe W

Is that foo foo (or fufu) that you're talking about?

EXACTLY!

Thanks Jen

I try. :biggrin:

Mark's, JPW? Really?

I think Mark's is a good value, and hell it's the closest place to where I live (I won't set foot in Savory or Talliano's). I'm curious why it made your short list. Not trying to challenge, just wanting to know more.

Monday night, my tongue was screaming for good food and my friend was screaming for her birthday. But with both wallets closer to penny-wise than pound-foolish status, we went out to Palena Cafe and together split one six course order from the restaurant side. It was perfect--with one glass of wine, tax and tip, the total came to $100, which was still on my rich side...but hey, it was a birthday. :cool:

If you go at off-times, many good restaurants are fine with serving two diners the equivalent of one meal--usually even splitting dishes into two plates without a request. If it's not enough food, we'll go home for crackers and cheese, and we always tip as though we'd ordered two.

Monday night, my tongue was screaming for good food and my friend was screaming for her birthday. But with both wallets closer to penny-wise than pound-foolish status, we went out to Palena Cafe and together split one six course order from the restaurant side. It was perfect--with one glass of wine, tax and tip, the total came to $100, which was still on my rich side...but hey, it was a birthday. :cool:

If you go at off-times, many good restaurants are fine with serving two diners the equivalent of one meal--usually even splitting dishes into two plates without a request. If it's not enough food, we'll go home for crackers and cheese, and we always tip as though we'd ordered two.

Q) How many restaurants were represented at the bar at Palena on Monday?

A) A lot.

Finally had the burger and a 1/2 of barbaresco (in addition to other grape juice), which was brilliant. Man, all the talk about that burger is true.

What does one pair with the hot dog?

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

man--I missed seeing the esteemed scallywag in person!!

sorry--her birthday was tuesday. monday was staying up all night on deadline, and since there was no sleep between the two, the demarcation of sunlight gets a little hard to note...

but the late-night crew at Palena's bar ALWAYS looks like a remarkably unsavoury

er,

talented and gifted bunch of people used to wielding knives with great dexterity.

Mark's, JPW? Really?

I think Mark's is a good value, and hell it's the closest place to where I live (I won't set foot in Savory or Talliano's). I'm curious why it made your short list. Not trying to challenge, just wanting to know more.

I really like some of the flavors you can find at Mark's. I could imagine some of Mark's food in a *real* restaurant environment (as opposed to the much more cafeteria like setting of Mark's) for easily twice the price and I'd be happy to pay that for it.

To me it's not that it's spectacular food, nor that the prices are just low for the quality, but that they are ridiculously low for the quality.

In return, why the adamant opposition to Taliano's and Savory?

PM me if you feel it's too off topic.

Just like you, just wondering. :smile:

Joe W

as for babka....unsavoury? how so?

joke.

the three times I've been to Palena cafe in late-ish hours, have been impressed by the number of restaurant folks hanging out there--many, I think, from Palena itself, but never actively inquired--speaks well of a place when folks choose to not flee out the door when their shift is over, if my impression is correct.

Where would you send this impecunious notional acquaintance to find food that tastes like it ought to cost much more than it actually does? We're talking Palena cafe here, or Corduroy happy hour appetizers. Big, fat, honking deals. There's just got to be more of them out there, right? Come on, let's get a good cheap eats thread going that doesn't peter out into "read the Washingtonian guide." There's imaginary mouths to feed.

Welcome to my hell :biggrin:

I second or third or whatever the Jaleo and Zatinya recommendations.

Parkway Deli and Krupins are good, but avoid brunch hours unless you want a wait.

Tono Sushi has $1 a piece happy hours.

Old Ebbit does a good deal on oysters from 3-7 M-Th. Let me know if you need someone to join you.

(Thank you Mr. Rocks)

Edited by hillvalley (log)

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

your imaginary friend should maneuver themself/elves to a wooden perch fronting the alabaster bar at the venerable johnny's half shell, 20th and p in dupont, where they will discover the astonishing bargain occuring during the hours of happiness (5-6)should they exist; does this presuppose that all other hours are unhappy? do we need topshelf drinks, beer, half priced appetizers, soups, salads and desserts to be happy?

be forewarned that bivalves on ice, main courses and specimens of the vine are inherently miserable and therefore do not adhere to the laws of the happy hour. but do not fret! your ethereal companion will find a sextet of crispy bivalves with a sharply refreshing tartare sauce and piquantly pickled vegetables, squid admirably scarred by the unquenchable wooden appetite of the grill hiding beneath a hailstorm of crunchy shallots, a steaming bowl of treebark brown and searingly spicy gumbo, amid other treasures and treats. all for the absurd price of 3-4 dollars a plate.

see you there... or well, not i suppose.

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol

whats really sad is everybody looking for a deal(half price , happy hour etc) instead of looking for and supporting good...and quite possibly cheap local restaurants..I'm tired of reading hipster/foodies whining about not getting it their way

listen to Black Sabbath..often

whats really sad is everybody looking for a deal(half price , happy hour etc) instead of looking for and supporting good...and quite possibly cheap local restaurants..I'm tired of reading hipster/foodies whining about not getting it their way

I'm sorry danzig, I seem to be reading a different thread, and for that matter a different forum than you are.

Yeah, there are a few posts pointing towards happy hours, but I see just as many suggestions for good deals outside happy hour. What happens in your critique of us "hipster/foodies" when the happy hour/special deal is at a local place? Should we all wait until the deal is over to have the priviledge of paying full price?

Does your prejudice against bargain hunting extend to bar menus? Just getting apps at the bar? While some people here have the cash to eat off the regular menus at places like Citronelle (to use an extreme example) some of us don't. The bar menu is the only way any time soon that I'll be able to afford to try the creations of Chef Michel. For those of us whose gastronomical addictions outpace our wallet contents this is the way to eat from excellent kitchens without breaking the bank.

Too, if you look around at other recent threads, you will see a large amount of posts looking for that hidden "local" gem (see, for example, the stripmall thread).

Everyone's entitled to air their opinions, I just happen to not really see a firm foundation for yours.

Joe W

I'm sorry danzig, I seem to be reading a different thread, and for that matter a different forum than you are.

Yeah, there are a few posts pointing towards happy hours, but I see just as many suggestions for good deals outside happy hour. What happens in your critique of us "hipster/foodies" when the happy hour/special deal is at a local place? Should we all wait until the deal is over to have the priviledge of paying full price?

Does your prejudice against bargain hunting extend to bar menus? Just getting apps at the bar? While some people here have the cash to eat off the regular menus at places like Citronelle (to use an extreme example) some of us don't. The bar menu is the only way any time soon that I'll be able to afford to try the creations of Chef Michel. For those of us whose gastronomical addictions outpace our wallet contents this is the way to eat from excellent kitchens without breaking the bank.

Too, if you look around at other recent threads, you will see a large amount of posts looking for that hidden "local" gem (see, for example, the stripmall thread).

Everyone's entitled to air their opinions, I just happen to not really see a firm foundation for yours.

Right on.

Jennifer