• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

the most french-like bistrots in manhattan?

baruch

Over the years, Jardin Bistro has had mostly native French speakers as waiters.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Spot quiz:  There used to be a horrible dive at 23rd and 3rd called Glocca Morra.  Bejasus, not a real Irish name at all - anyone know the derivation (if not I'll tell you)?

It's from the song, "How Are Things in Glocca Morra," in the musical Finian's Rainbow by "Yip" Harburg and Burton Lane.

heartfelt thx to Ruby - have enjoyed all of your comments & observations.

ActorDan: in my opinion, i believe u have summed up what is unfortunately a truism; however, the good news is: that's why we have Paris, & in this case, there is no bad news, i.e., manhattan is manhattan & balthzar, etc... are pretty good substitutes! so - with all that - is there a quintessential

bistro(t)  in manhattan??? borrowing from Ruby's list of attributes listed above, my vote is still "Quatorze bis". i know: not French-owned; very few, if any french employees; not sure about the background music; but echoing Bux & the Fat-Guy, one must be flexible & not get too bogged down in the details. Quatorze does have a decent buzz, its off the beaten track (?), in nice weather french doors open onto a pleasant part of 79th complete with dogs under the tables outside, sufficient menu with both bistro & brasserie offerings, decent wine list, & yes Ruby, if i close my eyes, i do think of Paris. of course, that is only after 3 pastis's :))   &, if possible,   

only 1 bistro selection / observer re: the "quintessential..."

It's from the song, "How Are Things in Glocca Morra," in the musical Finian's Rainbow by "Yip" Harburg and Burton Lane.

It certainly is.  But what amuses me about it is this.  Yip Harburg wasn't that familiar with the gaelic language, or indeed with Ireland, so when he wanted a typical Irish name for a pretty country village, he came up with a happy corruption from his own vocabulary of the German (or is it Yiddish) glucke morgen - pleasant morning, I believe.  

And then you see it used as the name of "authentic" Irish bars!

:smile:  :smile:  :smile: