• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I Guess I like Frozen Sushi

to whoever commented on the frozen ankimo--

isn't that actually in effect a cooked pate? always pre-prepared, though freezing it is probably not a good thing. seach for frozen ankimo on google, this thread comes up #1 and a purveyor comes up #2.

on morimoto--

recently ate there. the most disapointing part of the meal was the sushi. one of my friends commented that the ikura felt like it was defrosted wrong.

on frozen/fresh/days of the week--

we ate at morimoto on a sunday. does that make any difference? sure, the markets are closed, but most things must be frozen.

on farmed fish--

no way i'd consider farmed fish parasite-free. fish farms are a big pollution/waste issue, must be a breeding ground for who knows what. though one could imagine clean pond farms.

to whoever commented on the frozen ankimo--

isn't that actually in effect a cooked pate? always pre-prepared, though freezing it is probably not a good thing. seach for frozen ankimo on google, this thread comes up #1 and a purveyor comes up #2.

Monkfish Liver is gently poached whole after careful seasoning. Haven't a clue with what. Then it is frozen whole. There is no other preparation if served as ANKIMO sashimi/sushi other than ponzu dressing w/ sliced scallion.

It's in my top 3 sashimi items, kind of like the creamcheese of the sea!

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com