• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch in Richmond

phlawless

This may have been covered in the Richmond dining thread, but what about lunch? I'll be passing through on Monday and need some suggestions.

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

This may have been covered in the Richmond dining thread, but what about lunch? I'll be passing through on Monday and need some suggestions.

Millie's diner.

Downtown (a bit south of downtown i think)

I have eaten lunch there several times.

Not a real diner.

Fun and tasty.

Try the Tobacco Company Restaurant downtown. It's located in a converted tobacco warehouse on the corner of 12th and Cary St.

The crab cakes there are very good!

Enjoy!

Be polite with dragons, for thou art crunchy and goeth down well with ketchup....

Personally, I'd go for Acacia over Millie's (Acacia). It's easy to get to off of I-195 (which you have to go by either on 64 or 95, depending on your direction). But Millie's is a very cool space and good food too.

Bottom's Up is only good if you like thick crust pizza, their thin crust is terrible (pardon my New Haven thin crust bias).

For some good upscale Southern near the highway, I like Comfort (Comfort). Ignore the crappy surroundings and go in and and eat in a really cool space.

Go to the Tobacco Company to drink and socialize, not to eat. However, I have heard that their crab cakes are pretty good.

Any specific requests?

This may have been covered in the Richmond dining thread, but what about lunch?  I'll be passing through on Monday and need some suggestions.

Millie's diner.

Downtown (a bit south of downtown i think)

I have eaten lunch there several times.

Not a real diner.

Fun and tasty.

Millie's is not open on Monday

"look real nice...............wrapped up twice"

I've been to Millie's and Acacia, wasn't really impressed with either. Millie's was a bit too greasy and heavy, and Acacia didn't wow me.

I know the city somewhat, and have spent considerable time there. I was just wondering if there was anything new that I hadn't heard about.

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

I've been to Millie's and Acacia, wasn't really impressed with either. Millie's was a bit too greasy and heavy, and Acacia didn't wow me.

I know the city somewhat, and have spent considerable time there. I was just wondering if there was anything new that I hadn't heard about.

Perhaps you can give some direction to what does wow you (and what your budget is)? Are you looking for cheap, dirty and yummy or white linens and maitre d's?

Maybe one way to help would be to give us a basis for comparison. What do you like in NYC, DC, Atlanta, Triangle (which are where most of my experiences lie)?

Since you've been here before, what else have you tried? Lemaire? Mamma 'Zu?