• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anybody know how to make a Trotsky?

kvltrede

I ripped a drink recipe out of either a men's mag (Men's Health maybe) or the Sunday NY Times a couple years ago for a tequila drink called a Trotsky. Now I can't find it and I'm hoping someone here might know what I'm talking about. I've searched a bunch of online bar sites with no success.

The drink is similar to a margarita but it's pinkish. I think it had cranberry juice in addition to the tequila, fresh lime juice and fresh lemon juice. I believe it also required a sour mix--which now strikes me as overkill--and probably had triple sec too. Now that I think about it, it had vodka in it too. (IIRC the drink's name refers to the time Trotsky spent in Mexico after leaving Russia.)

Anybody else know this drink? If you can confirm the ingredients and pass along the amounts used I'd be most grateful.

Thanks.

Kurt

“I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.” ~W.C. Fields

The Handy Snake

kvltrede:

First, welcome to eG! :smile:

Now, have you tried searching the NYTimes? An advanced search of the Archives for Trotsky; Trotsky and Cocktail; or Trotsky and Tequila and Cocktail all reveals a Sunday, April 7, 2002, Magazine Desk, Footnotes by Sandra Ballentine (474 words) -- an abstract of Manhattan's KGB Bar. This has topped all three searches for "closest match," so I'd bet that is your ticket. For $2.95 the copy of that is yours!

Plug it in and give it a whirl: http://query.nytimes.com/search/advanced?srchst=nyt

Good luck and be sure to report back! Inquiring minds want to know....

Cheers!

beans,

Thanks so much for the welcome.

I'm absolutely stunned that your search turned up a link to that article. I've plugged at least a half-dozen word combos into that engine on at least a half-dozen occasions and come up empty every time. Obviously I didn't read the how-to closely enough to determine the best word combo.

...Okay, after a quick trip to the NY Times search engine I find that I may simply have overlooked that article. Now that you've pointed it out, though, I'm fairly certain that you are correct. This must be it.

I'm pretty cheap so I'll probably give it a few days before sending the NYT any $$$. Maybe I'll turn it up with another look through my various piles and boxes of pack rat miscellany or maybe somebody here knows the recipe.

I will be sure to report once I've tracked it down or paid the NYT for it.

Thanks again.

Kurt

“I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.” ~W.C. Fields

The Handy Snake

You are very welcome.

Somehow old studies and readings of Russian Civil War, Marxism, Mensheviks, Bolsheviks, Lenin, etc. sparked my cocktailian curiosity. I've spent approximately 12 years resourcefully conducting legal research -- finding the proverbial needle in the haystack -- before opting to spend my time behind the mahogany instead. [Opps, I digress..!]

I wonder if Red Square in Vegas would have a recipe? Most likely one that differs and quite possibly vodka based.

Well, I hope Doc, DrinkBoy, LibationGoddess, Gary, or anyone else with a similar history studies interest combined with cocktail enjoyment will know this mysterious one and post more about it. :cool: As I, too, don't generally shell out the $$$ for an archived pay-per-view newspaper article, despite my understanding for charging such a fee.

Maybe another eG'er in Manhattan possibly could fill us in?

Edited by beans (log)

Now that you have the citation, why don't you go to your friendly local library and look it up on the microfiche? Most libraries carry back issues of the Times in fiche. who knows what else you'd discover there....