• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Your Own Condiments

markovitch

I have never, ever liked ketchup (or catsup) except on very rare occasions as an ingredient in a sauce, or to top a meatloaf. That is, I have never, ever liked it until a friend mailed me a jar of her homemade catsup as a Christmas gift. Because I have never, ever liked the condiment I accepted the jar graciously but didn't open it for at least a year. Maybe it took two years. Then I opened it - and I liked it!  It had a texture, unlike any of those nasty bottled condiments. It wasn't sickly sweet. The tomato could be tasted, along with some lovely spices.It harmonized, accented and augmented dishes instead of overwhelming them.

Alas, by the time I got around to asking her for the recipe, her mind was going. I have no idea how she made it.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Like many, I have done my own mayo and bbq sauce (both mild and somewhat spicy).  I need to take a day or two and try some of the delicious looking recipes I see in this topic.  Thanks everyone for sharing what has worked for you and what hasn't.

Rule #3: Don't believe what you're told.  Double check.

• 4 months later...
On 5/14/2015 at 11:32 AM, andiesenji said:

Following is a link to the page on my blog where I go into more detail about how I make mustard.

This does have a sweet base but in my experience, it is much easier to temper the base sweetness to make it less so than it is to add sweet later.

MUSTARD – Home made, Easier than you might believe

Thank you VERY much!
I've done like 3 or 4 recipes of mustard and every single one of them I tasted an awfull bitterness and I couldn't figure out why.
Reading your blog I understood the importance of cooking it up a bit to mellow down this pungent bitterness.

Next week I'm gonna try one more time, and hopefully succeed :)

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Due to a slip of the finger when I was ordering spices online, we now have 1-1/2 cups of ground mustard. Does anyone have a mustard recipe that uses ground mustard? I've only made recipes that use mustard seeds. 

1 hour ago, JAZ said:

Due to a slip of the finger when I was ordering spices online, we now have 1-1/2 cups of ground mustard. Does anyone have a mustard recipe that uses ground mustard? I've only made recipes that use mustard seeds. 

I use it all the time in rubs and to make a dip for egg rolls, spring rolls, dumplings an similar. I sprinkle it in soups where it makes sense, or in a tadka  (I know it uses the whole spice but works for me). And any application where you want the mustard I use it when whole seeds are not in pantry.. 

On 8/4/2020 at 11:39 AM, JAZ said:

Most of the recipes I've seen call for mustard powder, water, vinegar salt and various seasonings probably revolving around the personal taste of the person sharing the recipe but I've never actually made it. I keep large amounts of ground mustard on hand but only because a lot of my sausage recipes call for it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.