• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

KennethT

KennethT

13 hours ago, Toliver said:

Is there any heat to it?

It looks like a chili oil a local Chinese buffet used to serve. I would dunk my egg rolls in it or anything else that was deep fried and crunchy.

Can you post the recipe? I'll put it on my list of things to make when i retire. :laugh:

It's about 2 heads of garlic, and a 3" knob of ginger both minced finely, and a small handful of fermented black beans, roughly chopped.  These are slowly fried in 1-1/4 cup (maybe a splash or two more) of peanut oil.  You have to do this part slowly so the garlic doesn't burn - but after about 30 min. it gets nicely browned.  Then I added a cup of sichuan chili flakes, a hefty pinch of salt and a hefty pinch of sugar, let fry for maybe 5-10 minutes, then added a few splashes of soy sauce, then let cool.  I actually haven't tasted it yet (it's been in the refrigerator to let the flavors meld), but I'll send out an update after I do to give a verdict.  But it does look like many of the chili oils I had in China or in some down home places in Chinatown in NYC.

KennethT

KennethT

13 hours ago, Toliver said:

Is there any heat to it?

It looks like a chili oil a local Chinese buffet used to serve. I would dunk my egg rolls in it or anything else that was deep fried and crunchy.

Can you post the recipe? I'll put it on my list of things to make when i retire. :laugh:

It's about 2 heads of garlic, and a 3" knob of ginger both minced finely, and a small handful of fermented black beans, roughly chopped.  These are slowly fried in 1-1/4 cup (maybe a splash or two more) of peanut oil.  You have to do this part slowly so the garlic doesn't burn - but after about 30 min. it gets nicely browned.  Then I added a cup of sichuan chili flakes, let fry for maybe 5-10 minutes, then added a few splashes of soy sauce, then let cool.  I actually haven't tasted it yet (it's been in the refrigerator to let the flavors meld), but I'll send out an update after I do to give a verdict.  But it does look like many of the chili oils I had in China or in some down home places in Chinatown in NYC.