• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shrimp Tikka

i5115.jpg

Has got to be one of my favorite dishes. Shrimp is marinated in a ginger garlic paste, a bit of salt, red chili powder, turmeric and a touch of tandoori spice mix. Grilled in the broiler. Easy as can be. I am learning to take pictures so bear with me! We had this a few nights ago for dinner. What you see in the back is a papaya salad I made with cilantro lime dressing and some crushed red pepper

What recipes do others use for making a simple grilled shrimp dish??

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

How do you make it Jason - do you use any Indian techinques or spices?

No, I'm afraid I'm a complete ignoramus when it comes to Indian cooking techniques and all the spices that are involved. Eating Indian food is another matter, though.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

i went a long time before realizing that when north indians said jhinga they were talking about prawns. in bengal jhinge is something else entirely--a gourd like vegetable (mmmmm jhinge poshto...).

I have not heard of that... which type of gourd is it.. man all this food talk is making me really hungry!

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

i went a long time before realizing that when north indians said jhinga they were talking about prawns. in bengal jhinge is something else entirely--a gourd like vegetable (mmmmm jhinge poshto...).

I have not heard of that... which type of gourd is it.. man all this food talk is making me really hungry!

not sure what is is called in english--bong may know--gautam definitely will but he don't come around no more.

the classic prep is with a paste made from poppy seeds (potatoes are also prepared this way). i love the dish but making the poppy seed paste (the poshto) is such a pain i rarely cook it. not surprisingly it also makes you very lethargic.

Monica

This is one of the several ways I grill shrimp:

Marinate shrimp in olive oil + red chilli flakes + lime juice + salt + chopped coriander. Serve this with ripe mangoes also given the same marinade treatment and grilled briefly (just till marked by the grill). Serve with onion rings, lime wedges and just a little fresh chopped coriander, for garnish.

not sure what is is called in english--bong may know--gautam definitely will but he don't come around no more.

the classic prep is with a paste made from poppy seeds (potatoes are also prepared this way). i love the dish but making the poppy seed paste (the poshto) is such a pain i rarely cook it. not surprisingly it also makes you very lethargic.

This is a diversion from shrimp, but....

I make poppy seed paste in quantity and freeze it in ice cube trays and then pop the cubes out and store them in freezer bags. The posto grinds much easier in a blender when you do it in large amounts. First, I very lightly toast the seeds in a warm pan and then I soak them in double the amount of warm water for a couple of hours. This helps to soften them-then I put it all in a blender and process it to fine paste. Works great!

Monica, jhinge is what is called "toray" or "turiya" in the north. One of its English names is ridged gourd. And believe me, the dish that Mongo mentioned "jhinge posto" is heavenly. In fact, I have known some folks who put little shrimp in it.

Edward

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

'Oh Calcutta', the Bengali restaurant in Bombay, makes a Jhinge-Posto that has a searing mustard flavour. Don't know how authentic this is, but its divine. And since its vegetarian its also the reason - along with their mochhar ghanto or stir fried banan flower - why they changed their name from the original 'Only Fish'.

Vikram

Monica, jhinge is what is called "toray" or "turiya" in the north. One of its English names is ridged gourd. And believe me, the dish that Mongo mentioned "jhinge posto" is heavenly. In fact, I have known some folks who put little shrimp in it.

Edward

edward,

as far as i know the jhinge dish with tiny shrimp is an east-bengali/bangladeshi thing, and traditionally i don't think shrimp goes into jhinge-poshto, which is not to say it can't.

and vikram,

bengalis are apt to put mustard into everything! one of the classic bengali dishes is raw-mango chutney--sweet and sour and perfectly refreshing on a summer day. one of my aunts laces the finished product with freshly ground mustard. it is heavenly. i usually use 50-50 ground panch-phoron and mustard but once in a while i'll let the mustard rip on its own. of course the whole thing is vastly improved if you use genuine mustard oil to begin with, but here in colorado that isn't an option.

as for shrimp/prawns/jhinga: i've eaten a good many different indian preparations of it but none approach for me the sheer ecstasy of a bengali malai curry. nothing i do can make my versions taste anything like my mother's. however, my eldest maternal uncle and aunt are going to be visiting us in june--and she is the greatest cook i know; she thinks she's coming on a holiday--little does she know that she's going to be teaching me some of her secrets. since they lived in ottawa for a long time i know she's adapted her recipes to first-world limitations (this one time when i visited them there ages ago she fed me home-made barfi, replete with silver leaf, better than any i've had in delhi.)

of course the whole thing is vastly improved if you use genuine mustard oil to begin with, but here in colorado that isn't an option

Its not? How do you survive? And how will you get your aunt to make genuine Bengali food without mustard oil? I know mustard oil is sold for massage purposes - surely it won't kill you if you use that. (This is, of course, a neat reversal of the olive oil situation in India where for years you could only buy it from chemists for use in massage).

Vikram

Monica

This is one of the several ways I grill shrimp:

Marinate shrimp in olive oil + red chilli flakes + lime juice + salt + chopped coriander. Serve this with ripe mangoes also given the same marinade treatment and grilled briefly (just till marked by the grill). Serve with onion rings, lime wedges and just a little fresh chopped coriander, for garnish.

Man that sounds so good. I was really not a grilled fruit person for a long time... but I am coming around and seeing the fatal flaw in that thinking! Thanks for sharing this. What other types of marinades do you use?

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Has got to be one of my favorite dishes. Shrimp is marinated in a ginger garlic paste, a bit of salt, red chili powder, turmeric and a touch of tandoori spice mix.  Grilled in the broiler. Easy as can be. I am learning to take pictures so bear with me! We had this a few nights ago for dinner. What you see in the back is a papaya salad I made with cilantro lime dressing and some crushed red pepper

Are you honestly going to post that picture without posting a recipe? My mouth is watering in a terrible way looking at that. Talk about licking the screen. I must make this shrimp this weekend.

Recipe. Please. Share.

Seriously -this --Shrimp is marinated in a ginger garlic paste, a bit of salt, red chili powder, turmeric and a touch of tandoori spice mix. Grilled in the broiler -- is the recipe.. it really is that simple. i add a touch of heavy cream sometimes. but that's it. under the broiler and the minute they begin to turn red. they are done. I have a few more shots.. let me see if I can upload them here.

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Its not? How do you survive? And how will you get your aunt to make genuine Bengali food without mustard oil? I know mustard oil is sold for massage purposes - surely it won't kill you if you use that. (This is, of course, a neat reversal of the olive oil situation in India where for years you could only buy it from chemists for use in massage).

Vikram

as bong and i have lamented before the only mustard oil available in indian stores in the u.s is a particularly limp variety--genuine bengali mustard oil, as you know, makes you tear up if you get too close to it. no such effect here. where i am in colorado (in boulder) there is only one indian stores and it is run by a bunch of tamils--the store is thus chock-full of things i don't know how to use (and has way more types of par-boiled rice than basmati) and doesn't carry decent mustard oil. on the other hand they give me free curry leaves with every purchase--reminds me of the free green chillies and dhania the thela-wallahs in delhi give you.

Man that sounds so good. I was really not a grilled fruit person for a long time... but I am coming around and seeing the fatal flaw in that thinking! Thanks for sharing this.  What other types of marinades do you use?

Thanks for the compliment Monica :blush:

For other marinades try these:

- white wine + olive oil + tarragon (fresh, finely chopped)+garam masala+ salt

- chilli powder + turmeric powder + cider vinegar + ginger/garlic paste + salt (this marinade is my fav for fried fish/shrimp)

- freshly crushed pepper (lots) + olive oil + fresh rosemary + salt + a drop of rose water

- I like marinating fish in coriander chutney like patra ni machi but grilled instead of steam baked and I use semolina or breadcrumbs for the crunch

The mango idea is actually adapted from what my Manglorean grandma would make:

Pulp ripe mangoes (the ordinary ones not special ones like the alphonso mangoes), add slit green chillies and coarse salt …mmmmm