• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White or Red?

Brad Ballinger

This is like having to choose between one's children.:shock: I love them both :wub: , but , no I can't do it. :sad: I simply cannot give either of them up :wink:

Wuss. :raz:

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

This is like having to choose between one's children.:shock:  I love them both :wub: , but , no I can't do it.  :sad: I simply cannot give either of them up :wink:

What is this, Sophie's Choice?

Somedays the fence hurts and we gently climb off of it.

Somedays we want to loll around sitting all day.

Why must one choose?

If you want the purity of a crystalline lake filled with apricot, you turn to your old friend J J Cristoffel.

You say "white" I want riesling please.

If you want something thick and sweet with the texture of blood, you turn to Kay Brothers in Australia.

Delicate days require a creamy white, Henri Bourgeois' Monte Damnes Sancerre.

Days in which a klunk on the head and near asphyxiation is necessary, some young, unready to drink California Cabernet will do (hopefully overpriced so one can brag about the gratuitousness of it all). maybe the Veraison 2001 which stopped us in our tracks last week and made us remember why we love California.

Maybe it is the flux and turn and moony derision of my entire being, but I would have said take us all, there is no choice.

there is no way to decide.

None.

over it

Wet, as my 3-year-old niece used to say when she didn't know how to pronounce red or white... it was kind of a catch-all color :grin:

Otherwise, I think my low-budget red dollar typically goes farther than my low-budget white dollar (with some glaring exceptions)

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Red, with out a doubt.

Lucious, sexy, wonderful Pinot!

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

So What's for dinner Brad ?

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

I find that if you get a nice cushion and place it gently on the fence, it is really quite comfortable.

While there are some whites that I enjoy on a hot, sultry, Texas summer evening,

I'm going to have to vote for reds.

What matters to me is the quality of the wine. Not the colour ... :biggrin:

Give me Montrachet or give me death! ! (striking Patrick Henry pose)
I'll keep the Montrachet ...! :wink:

"Je préfère le vin d'ici à l'au-delà"

Francis Blanche

I have more whites than reds on my racks. That being said, its only because we tend to eat foods that match well with the flavor, mouthfeel, residual sweetness and acidity profiles of those wines.

However, when its meat, or tomato sauce of any kind, its red, baby,

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I gravitate to red, Ms. Alex to white. Sometimes that helps, sometimes not.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Red. But only by the slimmest of margins. I cook a wide enough variety of food to go with lots of red and white wine. And I even like (dry) pink wines, too. :smile:

"Enjoy every sandwich."

Warren Zevon, 10/30/02

Definitely prefer reds, especially pinot noir (perfect with so many foods). I started off by carting jumbo cabs to college keg parties (granted, they were cheap ones given my budget) and didn't even consider whites until I started going to wine tastings and discovered they weren't all wimpy. Now I love brut champagne (especially Veuve Clicquot), rieslings from Alsace, even dessert wines like sauternes when paired with appropriate foods. I've never really figured out the port thing though (a little bit like cough syrup to me, although the traditional port and Stilton pairing is actually intriguing).

“When I was dating and the wine list was presented to my male companion, I tried to ignore this unfortunate faux pas. But this practice still goes on…Closing note to all servers and sommeliers: please include women in wine selection. Okay?”--Alpana Singh, M.S.-"Alpana Pours"

i'm not sure i understand the question.

Nor am I

:hmmm:

Alberto

Should that be 'the point of the question?' :raz:

....but me neither.

Extremism should be dicouraged (it might be argued). :wink:

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

This is like having to choose between one's children.:shock:  I love them both :wub: , but , no I can't do it.  :sad: I simply cannot give either of them up :wink:

That's my favorite reply so far!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.