• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White or Red?

Brad Ballinger

And no "pink" replies (not this time). And for those who will be persnickety and seek to qualify with bubbles or residual sugar, I'm talking table wine. I'll start...

White. I find them more varietally distinct.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Red - I live just an hour and a half from Barolo and Barbaresco and 30 minutes from Gattinara and Fara.

But seriously white has its place and I prefer fresh whites, but I never find the depth of complexity (with exception noted for Lafon and such) that I experience from red wine. I almost always think of white as a prelude with red as the main event. My favorite whites (Pieropan Soave and a long list of Friuli wines plus Vouvray, Sancerre/Pouilly Fume, Muscadet and all Alsatian wines that aren't made into white port) are defined by their fruit and acidity so that is clearly what I enjoy in white wines. However, my religious experiences for dry wines have been 95% red with the exception of a few truly exceptional whites. I usually only choose white wine when the menu demands.

White.

a) It goes with more of the food I eat (lots of Asian ispired dishes, fish, chicken)

b) I find better values (e.g. German Riesling)

c) More truly interesting white available at those good prices (e.g. German Riesling)

d) I'm the chairman of the German Wine Society for New England. I have to say white.

David

Red

The only time that my father found me completely intoxicated he asked me what the heck I had drunk. It was a weekday during High School at lunchtime, my friend and I have skipped class and went for tapas and cheap white wine. The only thing that my father said was "Nunca bebas blancos" (Never drink white wine) I have followed his advice, although sometimes I do have a taste. In my wedding, my father and I did not even touch our glasses of white wine during a fish course. More stubborn than anything else.

Alex

Though most would say my diet is a much better match for white, I vastly prefer reds that fall in my price-range so that is usually what I drink.

Exception is a warm summer day when a chilled, crisp, citrus-ey white does just the trick.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

White: if the sun is still shining

Red: for all the rest of the time, including stormy Sunday lunches. :biggrin:

(which might sound silly, but lunches are usually lighter, not as serious as dinners. And if its gloomy and cold out, you can't drink a chilled pinot gris can you?)

This is like having to choose between one's children.:shock: I love them both :wub: , but , no I can't do it. :sad: I simply cannot give either of them up :wink:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

My palate is a publicly traded company.

Shareholders are 51% in favor of red, 49% in favor of white.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love