• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tunisian pastry/cookies

Years ago (1988) when I was studying in Paris for the summer, I used to walk past a pastry shop in the Rue de la Huchette area called "La Tunisie." They sold this sort of cookie or bar that was sweetened with honey (extremely sweet) and colored different colors with food coloring (some were turquoise, some were orange, etc.)

I don't think it was makhroud, as there was no stuffing of dates - it was just a solid honey butter cookie with (maybe) finely ground almonds in it. I have been trying to figure out what it was and find a recipe for it. Can anyone help me?

I have had some success finding African recipes on French websites. I assume you speak French, so try Google with words like "recette", "Tunisie", "Tunisienne", "patisserie", etc.

Edited by lueid813 (log)

I have had some success finding African recipes on French websites. I assume you speak French, so try Google with words like "recette", "Tunisie", "Tunisienne", "patisserie", etc.

I did, believe me. For hours. To no avail.

• 11 months later...

I was initially thinking Makhroud as well. I do miss those pastry shops in France, but I cannot recall what the name of the cookie you are refering to is. But this is a butter cookie recipe that would be used in North African sweets.

1 c Semolina

1 cup All-purpose flour

1 cup of butter

a few tablespoons sugar (or more if you won't be doing the honey syrup)

(you can us all semolina flour if you want)

add chopped almonds if you wish.

Honey syrup

1 cup Water

1 1/2 cup Honey

you add a little orange water to this.

As for the coloring add some food coloring.

Maybe they are ghrabeh, but I don't recall those being colored or soaked in syrup. I think if you play around with it a bit, you'll get something pretty close to what I think it is you're describing.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

I think I know the cookie.

It is made with two unbaked slabs of ground almonds blended with a few pine nuts, some sugar, food coloring, and butter or oil. One slab is colored green or turquoise and the other pink or red. The slabs are pounded into two wide flat sheets,about, 1/2 inch thick.

One of the slabs is brushed with beaten egg. The other slab is placed on top andt he two are pressed together to form a one-inch thick slab. This pastry, called rou el bey or the soul of the sultan or bey, is left to dry overnight.

The following day, a bountee is made with honey or sugar and water scented with orange flower water or geranium water. The slabs are cut into finger size lengths and dipped into the hot liquid and left to dry on racks.

Does this sound like what you had?

Edited by Wolfert (log)

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

I went through my old notebooks last night and found two interesting tips on makingyour own food coloring just as they do in Tunisia.

For green food coloring: pound parsley leaves in a mortar then wrap in cloth and squeeze to extract an intense green color.

For red food coloring: pound semi-dried shreds of roasted beet, then wrap in cloth and squeeze to extract an intense red color.

Edited by Wolfert (log)

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

I just remembered...

In Algeria they are also called H'rissa.

500 g ground almonds

250 g sugar

½ cup of water

1 stick butter

orange flower water

Food dye (red and green)

Combine the water, sugar, and orange flower water in a saucepan over low heat untill a syrup consistency develops, add the ground almonds while constantly mixing with a wooden spoon.

Remove from the heat when mixture does not stick to the bottom and sides of the pan.

Place the almond paste into a bowl, add the butter. blend well and divide into thirds. Tint one in red, one green and leave last natural.

This is basically cooked marzipan.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com