• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'wichcraft

cabrales

But will it be worthy? :blink: Or will it be Son of Otto?

I'm sure a 20 page eGullet thread will work it out one way or the other.

Isn't there a Pain Quotidien just across the street? They have good bread. How are their sandwiches?

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

• 3 months later...

Saw a paragraph review of this in this week's TONY. Has anyone been yet? The under $10 aspect is very appealing.

For anyone who hasn't seen the review: Tom Colicchio has opened up a sandwich shop next door to craft called 'wichcraft. (groan)

The place serves breakfast, cold and hot sandwiches, none of which total more than $10.

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

Cool. Can I get a sliced prime steak and sauteed morels in butter sandwich?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

none of which total more than $10.

Only in New York could this be considered positive advertising!

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I went this past weekend with my parents. They had a great selection of sandwhiches (I'm sorry I gave the menu away to a friend). I had pork, coppa, and a spicy pepper relish on grilled bread which was very good. My mother had a simple chicken, mozzarella, roasted pepper, pesto on grilled bread. And my father turkey with onion relish, bacon, and avocado on a grilled ciabatta roll. The place was pretty cool, but it does seem rather expensive. Most of the sandwhiches were about 9 bucks. In craft bar you get a sandwhich for 10 with service. Also you we got was our sandwhiches on this big empty plate. It would feel like a better value with some greens, or maybe some freshly made chips.

Rachel-the place is just east of craftbar.

Edited by mjc (log)

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

• 1 month later...

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/09/dining/09UNDE.html (need to register [free])

For the most part, Mr. Colicchio, who preaches the gospel of top-flight ingredients, simply handled, sticks to his philosophy. 'Wichcraft uses excellent bread, from Balthazar, Tomcat and Pain d'Avignon. The sandwiches are careful constructions that offer just enough contrasting flavors and textures to keep things interesting, while avoiding extraneous piled-on curlicues or clichés.

• 8 months later...

(Admin: previous 'Wichcraft discussion merged in above)

I was thinking about stopping in for a bite.

I've heard mixed reviews here, the bad ones being:

snarky help

thermometer kept too high

annoying second floor dining

menu not being interesting or worthy of patronage

I wish I could recount the good ones, but I can't.

Also brings up a separate thought:

How's the place doing business-wise? Is it busy enough that it looks like it'll survive past its two year anniversary?

Edited by slkinsey (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I used to work in the area and so am quite familiar with wichcraft. I'm not hip enough to know what snarky means, but I've never had or seen any problem with the service, and I never noticed the temperature. The stairway to the dining floor is quite long and the dining area itself is not attractive, but for a quick lunch I don't see these as real problems.

wichcraft is all about the sandwich and some people like them and some don't. The sandwiches are not tiny, but neither are they overstuffed, and the hot sandwiches, which are the most interesting cost about $9 with no extras thrown in. They are made to order, and take up to 10 minutes to arrive, which might make some people out for a quick lunch a bit antsy.

The sandwiches are heavily designed, I would personally say overdesigned. They are built around a principal ingredient, pork loin, chicken breast, flank steak, corned beef, and usually have some cheese and several aromatic vegetables. Each sandwich has its own accent flavor which is very prominent and typically overshadows and masks the main ingredient. At one time they were heavily using caramalized onions which left an overwhelming long sweet aftertaste, which I really disliked, but this seems to have diminished. wichcraft has yet to achieve the balance necessary for great sandwiches. They need to either tone down the accent flavors, or provide alot more stuffing: chicken, pork, etc. which would be my suggestion, but would undoubtedly impact their cost structure.

Not all of the sandwiches hit the mark, but the anchovy with egg and the tuna with lemon, fennel and olive are truly excellent, both on good bread. (I remember the service being great, too.) I haven't been in about 6 months, so, who knows, the place could have declined. But I doubt it. Generally, I was less impressed by the hot sandwiches and have therefore only tried a few.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

I've been to wichcraft a few times and always enjoyed my sandwhiches. I think most of the sandwhiches on the menu sound pretty interesting. I've never noticed it to be to warm or the staff to not be friendly. I think the problem with the place is that they do not create a perception of value. For example, if you order a hot sandwhich, its pressed, so it looks small, even though it may have originally been larger and then the sandwhich is all you get on your stark plate. I think it would be better to give some greens or chips or something along with the sandwich.

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

If you can take food out from 'wichcraft and eat it at your office or home or even Union Square park, it's not bad. I liked the tuna/fennel/capers sandwich too.

I really liked their homemade chocolate cupcake, which looks like a Hostess cupcake but tastes much richer. And their cappuccino is suitably strong.

Agreed that the second-floor dining makes you want to smack the truly annoying, pretentious, loud clientele.

From what I've seen, the business looks pretty strong. Every time I've been there it's always bustling.

I don't think it's an attractive place in which to eat. I've been there twice for takeout sandwiches. I enjoyed the sandwiches I've had and those I've tasted very much, but I wouldn't say they were compelling sandwiches or destination sandwiches. I think they're acceptably priced, but certainly not bargain sandwiches. You may be paying a buck or so for the design and, as Marcus noted, some people may find them overdesigned. I'd return in a flash for take out, but only if it was convenient. Pain Quotidien across the street is a far more inviting place in which to sit, although I'm not sure I like their offerings as much.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 3 months later...

I'm a big 'wichcraft fan, and as I work a few blocks away, usually stop in about once a week, if only for the incredible desserts-peanut butter creamwiches, brioche cinnamon roll, pecan tart, etc. I've never had a bad sandwich there, and today had a transcendental food moment. Friday special: Bacon, Boston Lettuce, Heirloom Tomatoes & Homemade Aioli on Toasted Country bread. Perfect. In every way. The finest BLT ive had, hands down. I'm not sure how long they're keeping it on the menu. Go get one. ASAP. This is what summer is all about.

'Wichcraft has some of the best sandwiches in New York city. I have been known to travel from the far reaches of Manhattan to go there when a craving strikes. I always get a hot sandwich when I go. The pork with the pepper relish is especially good...

• 1 month later...

I went to 'Wich Craft the other day. It suffers from the same ultimate failing as Subway, but for $5 more. I had the roast turkey with avacado sandwich. An excellent ciabatta; ample, creamy avacado; tasty, crisp bacon, restrained use of aoili, all wrapped around the thinnest whisper of roast turkey. For $9.

I guess someone could argue that, turkey aside, the sandwich would still be worth $9. They would be wrong. Subway's failing at $5 is that it offers soft, doughy bread, stingy fixin's, and the thinnest hints of meat. 'Wich Craft offers excellent bread, top-notch fixins, but still the thinnest hints of meat, for $9. I can't comment on whether the turkey was moist or well-cooked, because there wasn't enough meat to judge.

A turkey sandwich is ultimately about the turkey. It's not an afterthought. It's the raison d'eating.

My friend had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It was quite good. The PB (crunchy style) had excellent flavor and the jelly (not sure what type), was not too sweet. They added an third slice of excellent white bread (great body, great crust) so that neither the PB nor the J overloads the senses. I think this was $5, and worth it.

(By the bye, there are about a dozen Craft threads that should probably be merged for the sake of consistency.)

Edited by Stone (log)

• 5 months later...
I'd like to see someone do a side-by-side comparison of roughly equivalent wichcraft, Starwich, and Pret a Manger.

I wish even ONE would open within walking distance of my office downtown. We had a PaM but it shut down, alas.

We may both be in luck.

The vacant storefront across the street from my office (388 Greenwich Street) has new signage on the papered up windows:

'WICHCRAFT.

No sight of an opening date so far, I will keep you posted.

-MJR

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

the egg/frisee/gorgonzola sandwhich is my favorite egg and cheese in the city. we make special trips just to gobble one up on saturdays. i must agree with other posters, though, that is is not at all an inviting place to eat. too cafeteria style and it was, to my taste, too cold the last couple times we went.

would be very interested were one to open up further downtown!

• 5 months later...

Notice from www.wichcraftnyc.com:

on august 27th, we will close the doors on our 19th street store...

• we will relocate in the union square area as soon as we find our new home

• we will continue to deliver free of charge from our other locations.

• if you would like to be notified when we relocate, please fill out the form on this site

• if you'd just like to talk to us, call us at (212) 780-0577

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!