• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Something typically New Orleans

paz5559

Mom and Dad are coming to town this weekend from NYC. Last time they were here, we went to August and Peristyle. This time round, I have instructions to find places that could only be found in New Orleans. I have reservations at Brigtsen's one night, but was debating among several choices for the other evening they are in town, plus Sunday brunch:

GW Fins (dad love seafood)

K Paul's

Gautreau's

Lillette

Le Parvenu

Since they can get good Italian in NY, I ruled that style out completely, but places across the lake or even outside of town (ie LA Provence, Lafitte's Landing) are fair game, if you think they are worth the schlep.

I am shying away from stoggy old fashioned New Orleans places (ie. Galatoire's, Antoines, etc)

For brunch last time we went to Elizabeth's, which was fun but a tad to funky for the folks. I was thinking about Commanders or Begue's, but these may be too fancy, so I am open to other suggestions. I have heard nice things about both Sugar Magnolia's and Cafe Atchafalaya, but have also heard mixed reviews about both.

As a physician in town, I have had the chance to go to some favbulous places in the city already - loved Indigo and Stella!, think Cafe Nino makes the best pizza in town, think Bayona is the most over rated place I have ever been to, go to breakfast as often as I can at Riccobono's Panola Cafe, love Hillbilly BBQ, think Ms. Hysters is overrated, love the oysters at Drago's (but am nonplussed by anything else they serve), am a huge fan of Royal China, Radosta's, Cassamento's, and R&O's for shrimp po boys but think Mothers is overrated, like NOLA the best of Emeril's places, but think all of his food is style over substance (including Tchoup Chop in Orlando, which I had such high hopes for), think La Boulangerie makes the best bread, and some of the best sandwhiches in the city, and found that either Antoinnes or Adrian's make the best filled king cakes in the city, although would argue that either Zoe's or Chez Pierre are the best bakeries in the area (no, not Maurice's). Also was considering Matt and Nadies as well as Dick and Jenny's, and think Jaques-Imo is over rated, over sauced, and overly fried.

Anyway, hope that gives you an idea of my tastes.

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by paz5559 (log)

In America, there is New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans; everywhere else is Cleveland.

Mark Twain

What about Clancy's? Way uptown. Very good and dependable food. Very New Orleans. Nothing but locals and a few enlightened tourists. Many people think of it as the Uptown Galitoire's in terms of the clientele. Get the mussle appetizer and make them bring you some extra bread to soak up all of that delicious mussle liquor.

I know that you said that they can get Italian in New York, but they can't get Mosca's. Sicilian Creole is a very limited get. Take a few of your friends along with your parents and order everything on the menu (it's served family style) and you will not be sorry. Just don't plan on getting too close to your patients the next day as the garlic will follow you for a couple of days.

Upperline is another place that is pretty much a sure thing. Great food, great service, an interesting atmosphere (Joanne Clevenger, the owner, has a great collection of eclectic art and is as charming a host as you will ever come across in New Orleans). Recent reports have continued to give it high marks.

As far as going across the lake, La Provence is a great place. Kris now has a little b and b in his compound and it is a very cool place to spend the night if you happen to want to do that. The amuse of whatever the hell he has made into pate for the day is worth the whole trip. Get anything that says rabbit. Provincial cooking lends itself well to game and he seems to be particularly good with rabbit.

As far as brunch goes, you might have to hope for more help. I had Brennans last Sunday and while it was very nice and well done and all of that, the bill is still a stunner for a couple of eggs and a few drinks. I still say there is much better value elsewhere, I just don't know where. :wacko::wacko:

I do love Commander's Palace for week day lunch. That may well be (as I and many others have said before) the best fine dining lunch deal on the planet. Order the bread pudding soufflee when you sit down and enjoy some of those tasty twenty five cent blue martinis while you soak up the cool atmosphere.

On the other hand, I could go to Peristyle once a week and be perfectly happy, so maybe you should think about another visit. I also agree with you about Nola (although I really believe that Emeril's is to notch and if it had somebody else's name on it it would get a better rap across the board).

One more thing. I know it goes against convention, but in the neighborhood of GW Fins I would much rather eat at Redfish Grill (another great weekday lunch spot also) or Mike Anderson's (Mike's has really good food and a great line up of soups and it is often overlooked. It's been there for twenty years, they must be doing something right).

Good Luck. I am sure that you wil get lots more opinions than my highly non scientific one.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Moscas is not really Italian, Its uniquely New Orleans. Definitely go! The hike across the bridge is worth it.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Sicilian Creole is a very limited get.

Exactly. What Jason said. :wink:

Will worth the trip. A serious roadhouse with serious food. Seriously take some extra people. In this case-mo people, mo bettah.

If you want to try something uniquely "neighborhood" - the Clancy's suggestion was a good idea; I personally think Upperline isn't worth all the hype. My favorite uptown is Ciro's Cote de Sud - intimate, great "South Med" cuisine, reasonably priced, personal service. I love the mussels there.

I guess the Commander's brunch is more than OK, certainly better than the choices in the Quarter which I consider to be largely places where they've figured out a dozen ways to serve hollandaise at $36 a pop. The Commander's patio is lovely if it's a nice day, and you can do the "quick cemetary thing" across the street as long as you are there.

Any thought's on Dick and Jenny's (yes, I know they don't take reservations), Matt and Nadies, or any thing that has opened up recently (ie. withiin the past year)

In America, there is New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans; everywhere else is Cleveland.

Mark Twain

For a real breakfast in the neighborhood, take them to Riccobono's. I love that place because it is not filled with tourists off the street car. And the omlettes are pretty good.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Everyone, thanks so much for your suggestions

As for the suggestions made here and elsewhere thusfar, while I love the VIEW at Bella Luna, I did think the food was adequate, but not spectacular. Court of Two Sisters was much the same Brennan's, IMHO, is one of the most extrordinary ripoffs I have ever experienced (plastic menus and eggs sardou for $25-30? Incredible!)

I may be a dining snob, but a salad has to have mixed greens, different kinds of lettuce, and not just iceberg, or to me, the place just isn't even trying. And I should have added earlier that my dad it's in a very healthy manner, so the seafood places at the lake that specialize in fired seafood are not his style

Thanks again to everyone for their kind suggestions.

So, the choices, as the now stand, are Gautreau's, Upperline, Clancy's, Le Parvenu, Dick and Jenny's, and the Pelican Club. Pick one, or tell me why I should add another potential candidate to the list.

Mark Twain

Have you ever had the salad at Charlie's Steakhouse? They are one of the last people in town making a classic/

1/4 head of crispy iceberg w/ a ton of very thin sliced white onions and one of the strongest, thickest, blue cheese dressings ever concocted. It might make you rethink your salad requirements (if you like blue cheese).

I vote for Clancy's for the atmosphere and Upperline for the food or maybe it's Clancy's for the food and Upperline for the atmosphere. They're both damn good. You won't be sorry with either one.

There is nothing better than a wedge of good iceburg lettuce, a very small amount of onion, and a well-made blue cheese dressing. Though I consider myself a food enthusiast (read: snob) I'd take the 'wedge salad' over the organic micro-greens most days.

Edited by slbunge (log)

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

For those of us who don't know our way around town, where are Mosca's and Clancy's, and what would be the best way to get there from the French Quarter? Do they take reservations for dinner?

I second slbunge's comments on salads! I live on the central coast of California, and I cringe at confronting another plate of bitter mixed greens with over-vinegary dressing.

If you had to choose between Jacques-Imo's and Herbsaint, taking into consideration quality of food, atmosphere, price, and overall experience, what would you say?

Roz

Mosca's is on the West Bank of the River several miles past the Huey P. Long Bridge. On a map you will want to look for Hwy90, and Avondale or Boutte. Yes you can take a cab. It is really not very far and TOTALLY worth the trouble.

Clancy's will require a reservation, especially during the week that you are going to be here. The food is really good and I love the place. I think I am going to be there this weekend as a matter of fact (my FIL loves the place and is taking Robin and I to dinner).

Jacques Imo's and Herbsaint are two totally different animals. Herbsaint is kind of a laid back place with wery good food and J I's is a great place to eat filled with people, post apocalyptic folk art, and a serious hipster vibe. Herbsaint will take reservation and J I's will not except for parties of 6 or more (I think that the number is correct, but I could be wrong). During the Jazz Fest it is going to be packed from open to close, but you can always wait in the Maple Leaf Bar which is a very cool place in it's own right and conveniently located 50 ft. away.

Ooh! Ooh! I vote for the Pelican Club! I really think it is very under-rated. The last time I ate there was last April, but it was wonderful. My parents both loved it, too, and one is a health nut and the other is a picky eater. Just my two cents worth!

Betsy in KY

I don't think Mayhaw gave you an accurate description of how far Mosca's is from the French Quarter. It is at least a half hour drive, my memory might be playing tricks on me, but we left from Upperline (Garden District?) (we went there with JoAnn) and I think it took longer than 30 minutes to get there. I was surprised how far out of town it was. Anyway, I'm just saying I wouldn't take an ordinary, hail it from the street, cab to get there. I would call a cab company and arrange a price ahead of time, and you may want to hire a car service, someone who will come back to get you or just wait while you have dinner. That's what JoAnn did, and I don't know what the cost of that was. It may be worth renting a car for the day.

Oh, and Mosca's is cash only.

Never been there, but is it true that Mosca's is "cash only?"

Do the Perlow's live in Looziana or just visit here often and dine in all the good restaurants? Whatever they do fer a livin', I want some of it! They seem to get around.

Joe

You gonna eat that?

>>>Mosca's is on the West Bank of the River several miles past the Huey P. Long Bridge. On a map you will want to look for Hwy90, and Avondale or Boutte. Yes you can take a cab. It is really not very far and TOTALLY worth the trouble.

Mosca's is typical old time New Orleans, and it's "fun" but if you are looking for one of those "meals of your life" experiences, you'll be disappointed. And I'd recommend a limo rather than a cab, depending on the number of people.

In the "other direction" (opposite direction of Mosca's) many people like Sal & Judy's for Italian (in Lacombe).

It hasn't been around, but the owner came from Sicily, and there are customers who have come the same night of the week every week since it has opened.

Mosca's is typical old time New Orleans, and it's "fun" but if you are looking for one of those "meals of your life" experiences, you'll be disappointed.  And I'd recommend a limo rather than a cab, depending on the number of people.

In the "other direction" (opposite direction of Mosca's) many people like Sal & Judy's for Italian (in Lacombe).

It hasn't been around, but the owner came from Sicily, and there are customers who have come the same night of the week every week since it has opened.

The best night at Sal and Judy's would be an off night at Mosca's.

Maybe 15 years ago I might have agreed with you, but now Sal and Judy's is a building with the name only. Yes, they still do a booming trade and have lots of regular customers, but the food is not in the same class or nearly as interesting as Mosca's. Of course, this is just my opinion and many people's may differ, but I regularly drive the long drive from the Northshore to Mosca's. I only live 15 min. from Sal and Judy's and I can count on one hand how many times I have been there in the last few years.

Also, with luck, Lacombe is currently an hour from downtown (whether you come through Mandeville or Slidell) and given that traffic on the Northshore is now among some of the worst in the country the drive may take much longer.

For those of you in much larger urban areas that are laughing that I claim the traffic is so bad, think about this-

All roads in and out of New Orleans are bridges-one wreck and it's all over for the rest of the day sometimes. There are now over 200,000 people living on the Northshore that either cross a 24 mile 2 lane bridge with no exits or the I-10 (there are a couple of more tiny roads with even tinier bridges, but for all practical purposes they don't count). The place is a zoo in rush hour. A very slow moving zoo, over water.

This was a dumb place to build a town-below sea level, more or less on a sunken island, in a flood plain right in between two of the biggest rivers in the world. :wacko::laugh: