• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[SEA] Culinary Communion

I also made a batch of Gabe's cinnamon rolls for those with a sweet tooth that brioche doesn't satisfy.  These babies have 5T of cinammon in a recipe that makes 15 rolls.

gallery_1327_709_50934.jpg

holy moly those look good. i've got my 5T of cinnamon at the ready...erm, what else do i need? (if you don't mind posting a recipe)

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

The recipe cards are copyrighted by Culinary Communion, so I shouldn't post it here without their permission. But if you email them they might be able to help you out. Or if you take a class and ask nicely I bet they'd through a copy of the recipe in with the ones for whatever class you took.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Cam thanks so much, I was just thinking last night how that class had gone and was going to post for reports. Sounds fantastic!

another blog post on said topic.

Thanks Jon, and I have to agree. My favorite foie gras is still the stuff I bring back from my trips to Paris, sliced on toasted Macrina brioche and sprinkled with fluer de sal

Thanks Jon, and I have to agree. My favorite foie gras is still the stuff I bring back from my trips to Paris, sliced on toasted Macrina brioche and sprinkled with fluer de sal

braver than us. we were afraid to haul back foie from France, given that whole war on terror/general paranoia thing. plus the many bottles of wine in our luggage. so we left it there.

we made one hotel clerk very, very happy, though.

Vengroff, your brioche is beautiful. The dough looks so golden - is that a trick of the light, or was it really that color? And your description of forming the tete is hilarious - basically, brioche a tete has its head up its ass? I can't wait to try that at home!

Vengroff, your brioche is beautiful.  The dough looks so golden - is that a trick of the light, or was it really that color?  And your description of forming the tete is hilarious - basically, brioche a tete has its head up its ass?  I can't wait to try that at home!

Thanks.

The images are very close to the actual color. They were only very lightly photoshoped for levels and contrast. All tha butter and eggs lead to a very rich golden dough. As for the shaping techniquge, I never though of it in exactly your terms, but basically you are right.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

re: Brioche pics - bravo. I've been working a lot with brioche recently (pictures) but they don't come out quite so picturesque as yours.

I'm intrigued by the difference in technique though - it seems a better idea to do it the way you mentioned, mixing all the other ingredients before incorporating the sponge, rather than adding each ingredient separately to the sponge like my recipe dictated. I think this would yield a smoother dough, with fewer lumps. Hmm.

How did you work with such a wet dough when shaping them?

• 6 months later...

This class:

Wood-Fired Pizza

Class List for CC

Is being hosted by our very own Mr and Mrs Toast. They are most gracious hosts, so if you are thinking of taking this class, I can heartily recommend the pizza making experience they offer :rolleyes:

I can tell you one thing for sure: you will be forever spoiled by the pizza coming out of this oven.

Chef Gabe is using his day off to play with fire! Wood-fired pizza is unlike any other, and baking on a wood-fired oven is an experience not soon to be forgotten. One of our students has such an oven and knows of Chef Gabriel's near-obsession with the concept; he's offered his home and the use of his pizza oven for this fun class. We'll make pizza dough of several flavors, work on different sauces and toppings, and bake our creations in Paul's screaming-hot wood-fired pizza oven. This is sure to be a blast!

When: Sunday, October 9, 4-7 pm.

Who: Taught by Chef Gabriel Claycamp.

Where: Private Home, Woodinville

How Much: $70 includes a full meal.

How: Call us at 206.284.8687 or click here to register online. Please see "The Fine Print" for registration details and our cancellation policy. Registration is limited to 10 students.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Joe and I just signed up for the "Master Series", running Tuesdays in November and December:

http://culinarycommunion.com/classes/series-master.html

From looking at the course description, most of the cooks here are probably already "masters", but there are lots of fun things that a lot of other cooking classes don't try to go in to, like "strange" seafood, how do manage cooking multiple dishes at once, garnishing, etc...

This class:

Wood-Fired Pizza

Class List for CC

Is being hosted by our very own Mr and Mrs Toast. They are most gracious hosts, so if you are thinking of taking this class, I can heartily recommend the pizza making experience they offer  :rolleyes: 

I can tell you one thing for sure: you will be forever spoiled by the pizza coming out of this oven.

You're too kind. This should be a lot of fun, though. I'm really curious to see what Chef Gabriel teaches us in this class.