• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet goes to the Jazz Festival

Mayhaw Man

I have recieved a number of pm's in the last few days from potential revelers who would like to meet up during the weekends of the Jazz Fest. I am all for it. It would be nice to put a face on some of the people I have "virtually met" and am pretty much available every day for anything-anytime 24-7 for 10 days. My krewe, The Jazz Fools Social Aid and Pleasure Club, is available to help out with advice and fun. You guys can tag along or lead. We're pretty easy and tend to disentigrate and reassemble many times during the day (hell, we disentegrated for years in our various personal lives and got it back together-so why not for one day?)

How about this for you first weekenders? Let's set a spot to meet on the first Saturday and we can figure out what to eat and do it in groups (much like locusts roaming the Fairgrounds in search of the best offerings). I propose for the first weekend meeting at the side of the Fais Do DO stage at the Web Cam spot for about 12:30. It's a little geeky but it is a good meeting spot and we can get our picture taken for posterity by the JazzCam. Then we'll eat and then we'll dance and then we'll eat some more and dance even more. Later we will go bathe (not together, although I'm not ruling anything out :shock::laugh: ) and meet up at a show for some serious late night revelry. The bowling alley might be the spot (I am thinking that the Iguanas are on the bill first Saturday, but I could be wrong), but I won't know until the music listings are out this week.

If it goes good and I am not dead, in jail, or out of money we can do the same for the second weekend for those who are there.

I will go ahead and link this to those that pm'd me and hopefully some others will rise to the occasion.

All you need to have fun at the Jazz Fest is "Motion, Rythm, and Instinct". Actually that is all you need pretty much all of the time, if you ask me.

How about it? You guys in?

EDITED TO SAY-This is not my deal, my town, or my festival. Anyone with any other opinions or ideas should weigh in. I take great joy in teaching people about our part of the world but I have learned as much from tourists as they have EVER learned from me. Got a plan? I'm with you if it's fun and doesn't keep me in jail past noon the next day! :hmmm::laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Dear Brooks,

Sign us up for 2 spots on Saturday, April 24 at 12:30 PM. We will try to figure out where the meeting spot is. Since we arrive on Tuesday, we will be busy expanding our gastric capacity in preparation for the eGullet JazzFest get together.

Looking forward to meeting you!

Best regards,

Roz and Michael

And for those who cannot make the trip to The Big Sleazy, fire up one of Mayhaw's recipes, and go to Jazzfestlive.com to download live performances for your listening pleasure...

A very cool idea if they can get it right. The list of artists willing to contribute is to be announced soon.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Alrighty then. Who's in?

Here is an old article that appeared in Offbeat about food at the Jazz Festival that could have been printed yesterday (except for the drinking way too much part, that was another life :wacko: )

Eat like Me!]What Big Shot Chefs (and me) eat at the Jazz Fest

10 days to go. I am giddy with anticipation

Just joined this list today. I found it when I Googled "Crawfish Town USA"

Going to my 9th jazz fest first weekend and my 1st Breaux Bridge crawfish fest after that. We're staying in St. Martinville for crawfish fest and looking forward to finding good places to eat.

Anybody who wants to meet can p.m. me and I will try to get everyone together and announce it here (it seems to make more sense than going back and forth here. Currently I am thinking around noon on the first Saturday will be a good time. we can set a place (that early in the day it won't be too crowded and we can make alternate plans for later if anyone is interested).

And Bleachboy, I would be happy to meet you and your wife-I believe that it is my turn to buy!

Brooks

I propose for the first weekend meeting at the side of the Fais Do DO stage at the Web Cam spot for about 12:30. It's a little geeky but it is a good meeting spot and we can get our picture taken for posterity by the JazzCam.

I'm leaving for NO tomorrow and hope to see a lot of egulleteers on April 24 at JazzFest. I hope we can find each other!

Bon voyage!

Roz

I will be starting my culinary Jazzfest journey with a softshell crab poboy on Friday. I have to have at least one each weekend! From there who knows..the list keeps getting longer. I also hope to meet up on Saturday the 24th. :biggrin: I'll be watching the posts to confirm a meeting time and place.

Joel