• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian springtime drinks

Neera is common in Mumbai and Pune, sold by roadside stalls. It is basicaly a palm tree syrup not exposed to sunlight. Once it gets exposed to sunlight fermentation starts and it becomes a alcoholic drink called toady.in few days

Neera is common in Mumbai and Pune, sold by roadside stalls. It is basicaly  a palm tree syrup not exposed to sunlight. Once it gets exposed to sunlight  fermentation starts and it becomes a alcoholic drink called toady.in few days

Yup same thing happens in Bengal, although I havent heard the term "Neera" before. I always thought it was called "taler rosh" (literally, palm juice). And, easyguru is right, it had to be consumed early in the morning or else it would ferment and become "tadi".

In Kolkata, when I was growing up, there would be street vendors going through the street in front of our house, early in the morning, shouting "taler rosh".

Perhaps this taler rosh is where Tal Mishree is made from...