• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian springtime drinks

As the weather gets warmer here I am starting to crave cold drinks. Out with the sodas and in with the divine..

Do you have some favorites that you can share?

I love to make a saffron hued lemonade and this afternoon served Indian style cold coffee (I cheated today -- usually I use Nescafe Instant coffee, ice and milk -- today it was Starbucks Coffee icecream with cold milk and crushed ice).

Ofcourse one of my favorite Indian restaurants in town serves up the best Tamarind Margaritas...

so whats on your drink menu ???

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

damned if i know. we were very happy drinking our thums ups and limcas, and, when we could get them, green daabs (the top expertly sliced off with a machete and a straw inserted).

bong, was there a bengali drink you enjoyed as a kid? gautam i am certain will come up with many, but he doesn't seem to be around anymore.

Spring Drinks

Juices at the Indian fruit juice stalls are what I miss a lot.

All those mosambi, chickoo, sitaphal, watermelon and alphonso mango juices and milk shakes! Sigh!

Here, I’d have a simple fresh lime juice or soda – it refreshes immediately. Also my fav fruit punch : 1 litre each mango & orange juice + 1 stick cinnamon, 1 star anise and 2 Tbsps freshly grated ginger (all in a tea ball). Let it rest for about 4 hours or overnight. Remove the spices & serve chilled with or without some fresh fruit.

As for alcohol, in Bombay it was mostly beer. Here in Brussels it is a good white or rosé wine (when it's hot) or one of the wonderful Belgian beers! For after dinner, I’d serve my homemade ginger –lime flavoured liqueur!

Jasmine flowers and sandalwood steeped in sugar syrup overnight makes a very refreshing sherbat and doubles up for me as a sorbet and palate refresher.

And I make similar stuff to Bague's recipe.

Sometimes I get Bel fruit from Kolkata and that makes a nice musky sharbat.

Edited by Episure (log)

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

2 specific drinks come to mind for spring / summer time:

1. Aam ka Panna

2. Kanji

In fact, we made Kanji a few weeks back and it turned out great, despite not getting black carrots here in the US.

I interested, I can post recipe / pics next time we make it.

Cheers,

Frresssh Sugar cane juice! With a squeeze of ginger and lime and some flies. :rolleyes:

and just the right amount of typhoid in the water. plus the mysteriously murky glass. god, i must have drunk a lake's worth of sugar-cane juice when we lived in chandigarh.

• 3 weeks later...
Dark rum with anything is good in my books  :cool:

What are some typical drinks from Bengal Mongo??

In the mid-to-late '70s there was a State Govt. brewed rot-gut which we affectionately called 'banglu' - Cheapest way to get drunk and since it was slightly flavoured easy to throw-up. :smile:

Then there was a 'mahauva' based drink which really stank up the room - Very cool and fresh. Finally there was 'toddy' - mostly popular in the coastal Bengal.

Edited by anil (log)

anil

What else?

this is neelam batra's recipe from "1,000 indian recipes."

she soaks and extracts the pulp from 2 ounces of a tamarind block in one cup of water first, then a second time in another cup of water.

in a blender, blend:

another cup or less of water,

4 slices of ginger the thickness of american quarters

1-3 green chilis

2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves

2 tablespoons lime or lemon juice

.5 to 1 teaspoon salt

1-2 tablespoons sugar

mix that with the previous tamarind water, then toast and mix in:

1.5 teaspoons ground cumin

.25 teaspoons red chili powder

1/8 teaspoon hing

1 teaspoon ground black salt

she lets that chill for a couple hours, then mixes in another tablspoon of minced mint leaves.

those are the proportions and ingredients, but i assembled it differently than she did. her book also includes a shorter recipe.

• 1 month later...

a friend used to make the most divine tamarind juice(also wine)with recipes from her grandmother.wonderful stuff but it takes your teeth with it.

summer.roohafza lots of ice.a slice of lime.some shade to drink it in.

Cold drinks that I can only dream about in New York City:

The concoction Ralli's just outside New Market in Calcutta makes with crushed ice, pista-badam syrup, and rabdi served in a little earthenware cup is sublime as is their thandai syrup which I make do with here.

Kesar Falooda from Shiv Sagar (Vile Parle) for which I have not found a substitute yet.

many summers ago bague -the tamarind was ripe and fresh off the trees around the house and boiled up with tons of sugar into a beautifully fresh tasting and utterly refreshing drink.i guess we overdid things because after about a week of indulgence,it was evident that enamel was taking a beating!the wine was a plan at that point so i didn't get to taste it-i wonder if it ever got made!anyway if you're patient i'll track down the recipes and maybe in time for next summer!