• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lobster stock uses

chappie

After devouring a pair of fatty, perfect lobsters a few days ago, I boiled down the shells with some veggies, a touch of white wine, a few peppecorns, lemon and tarragon. I've reduced it down to a wonderful stock to freeze, but was wondering if anyone had some ideas on how to use it in a dish that does not contain lobster meat -- as I don't often have that lying around!

Would it be good in a fish chowder of sorts?

Also, I pureed the tomalley and roe with some butter, heated it gently in a double-boiler just to soften, and strained it. Any idea on how long this will keep or ideas on how to use it?

Linguini with scallops and prawns; roasted sweet red peppers and garlic; green onions, fresh basil and arugala (sp) with a Lobster Bisque Cream Sauce

Reduce lobster stock; add whipping cream (heavy cream), reduce.

set asside

Hot pan!

Sear prawns and scallops, remove; add roasted garlic and peppers, heat a bit, then add green onions, basil, arugala (sp); add bisque, reduce.

Add back in scallops and prawns, heat.

Add cooked pasta to sauce; toss with butter or olive oil.

stovetop

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

You could try using the stock for a bisque...a lobster-crab or lobster-shrimp bisque would be terrific.

As for the tomalley/roe mixture...not sure how long it would last, but if I had it laying about I'd use it to make a lobster beurre blanc. Just make a regular beurre blanc reduction, add butter, and then swirl in the goodies at the last moment. Should turn the beurre blanc an astonishing coral color, perfect napped over whatever fish you find at the local store.

Hi chappie! Try this...

1/4 cup mirin( if you don't have that, sherry will work fine), 1/4 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar, 1 tsp. each of shallots, garlic, ginger, 4 TB lemongrass, 1/8 cup congac...place all ingredients in a pot and reduce by 1/2, then add 1 cup lobster stock, reduce by 1/4, then add 1/2 cup cream, simmer for 3 minutes. Strain and put back in pot . Over low heat, add 2 tb unsalted butter, stirring all the while. Salt to taste. Serve with pan seared scallops on basmati rice with wilted spinach and balsamic glaze.

Hope this helps and it wasn't too wierd, but this really is good.

Hi folks!

Living in Maine, it's considered a crime NOT to have a quart or three of frozen lobster stock on hand (Okay, maybe not a crime, but it should be, c'mon!) which we use for all chowder creations. The result is a lobster-flavor under-tow that pulls your ingredients together. Delicious!

Speaking of delicious, Stovetop and Spoonbread have some excellent ideas. I've got to try Spoonbreads Mirin deal, wow!

Also, the tomalley butter Malawry speaks of can be frozen for future use... keeps 90 or so days.

This site is outstanding. Thanks to all who put in the hard work. Note to KATHERINE in PORTLAND: I can't afford to shop at Browne Trading either and Harbor Fish does more volume so that's that. I've stopped in at the "Free Range Lobster Co." a few times since Tiny sold it and they are improving steadily.

Did anybody get a chance to have FRESH MAINE SHRIMP this winter? The season was only two weeks last year, but six weeks this year so the price was ridiculously low: 2lbs w/heads, tails, roe for $2!!! ...and THOSE shells make a BETTER stock!

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com