• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Panache: New restaurant opens on DeSales St.

There is a new restaurant going in on DeSales St. downtown. DeSales is the street that runs next to the Mayflower Hotel off of Conn. Ave. The restaurant is going in right next door to Filene's Basement. It looks to be a high end affair. When I walked past it this afternoon, there were contractors outside polishing the new wood exterior. One of the work permits said "Antonelli" so I surmise that perhaps an Italian restaurant is going in. Looks like a nice bar as well. Does anybody out there know anything about this place?

I talked to a person who appeared to be the owner and some painters a couple of weeks ago at the lunch hour. It's supposed to be a tapas place (International, not just Italian)...

The said they hope to open sometime in mid April (couple of weeks, I guess...)

I talked to a person who appeared to be the owner and some painters a couple of weeks ago at the lunch hour. It's supposed to be a tapas place (International, not just Italian)...

The said they hope to open sometime in mid April (couple of weeks, I guess...)

Tapas are Spanish, not Italian.

-Jason

There is a new restaurant going in on DeSales St. downtown. DeSales is the street that runs next to the Mayflower Hotel off of Conn. Ave. The restaurant is going in right next door to Filene's Basement. It looks to be a high end affair. When I walked past it this afternoon, there were contractors outside polishing the new wood exterior. One of the work permits said "Antonelli" so I surmise that perhaps an Italian restaurant is going in. Looks like a nice bar as well. Does anybody out there know anything about this place?

I believe Antonelli is the guy who owns the building. He is a large landowner downtown.

Mark

There is a new restaurant going in on DeSales St. downtown.  DeSales is the street that runs next to the Mayflower Hotel off of Conn. Ave.  The restaurant is going in right next door to Filene's Basement.  It looks to be a high end affair.  When I walked past it this afternoon, there were contractors outside polishing the new wood exterior.  One of the work permits said "Antonelli" so I surmise that perhaps an Italian restaurant is going in.  Looks like a nice bar as well.  Does anybody out there know anything about this place?

I believe Antonelli is the guy who owns the building. He is a large landowner downtown.

See what happens when you assume, you make an ass of u and me.

Taking a stroll again in the rain, I decided to take another peek...

The place looks good; it seems to be just about done. I like the hardwood floor and the sleekness of the bar. The red awning out front says 'Panaceta Restaurant' (I'm pretty sure it was not pancetta, but it's true I'm not seeing straight). The GM just told me that it's going to be French, Italian and Spanish, tapa-style and that they will be open late-night. I fear that anything open that late is doomed to the Oh-nozio crowd. They are e-mailing me a menu, so I'll post when it arrives...

Maybe the cool people at ABC will hang there and I can meet some hottie with an IFB and Mac foundation...

They are e-mailing me a menu, so I'll post when it arrives...

Sounds interesting, but I'm afraid all of this tapas/mezze stuff is giving my tongue a short attention span. I've started ordering a bunch of appetizers for my dinner instead of an entree every time I go to a regular restaurant! Needless to say, I'll be anxiously awaiting a perusal of the menu...

I stepped in there this afternoon while running some errands in the neighborhood. The gentleman behind the bar who appeared to be programming the computer said that they would be opening at the end of the month. There were table cloths on the tables and bar stools at the bar. He said they were going to be serving "small plates" and that the cuisine would be "mediterranian." I said "you mean like tapas?" And he said we don't like to use that term because it sounds too much like "topless." I said I competely understood given that there could be confusion with some of the establishiments a few blocks away.

Is anyone up for an eGDC happy hour event after they open? (I know, people will say that it is unfair to judge a new place right when they open. But, how are they going to learn without customers?)

edited for spelling..

Edited by mnebergall (log)

(I know, people will say that it is unfair to judge a new place right when they open. But, how are they going to learn without customers?)

And this is certainly a bunch of customers who would be more than willing to teach them a thing or two.

Bill Russell

I'm going to keep an open mind :rolleyes: about this place. There is so little in that part of the business district...

It's that SOHO buffet lunch place ($11 for ambiguous chucks of meat that fuel my nightmares ) and Starbucks on every corner...

hey! greek deli, cf folks, malaysia kopitiam, burrito whomever from the CF folks folks, Naan and Beyond, Firehook, and National Geographic all serve decent lunches within 2 blocks, while Vidalia, Malaysia Kopitiam, and, er,

vidalia....malaysia kopitiam....vidalia....so dinner could use some work.

• 4 weeks later...

Panache opened for business yesterday. I stopped in this afternoon and picked up a menu. They have a happy hour from 4-7 (although during the first week it does not start until 5). The menu has both cold (14) and hot (18) tapas ranging in price from about $5 to $9.50 (for the filet mignon). They also have soups, salads and entrées (entrées include sea bass, rack of lamb, crab cakes and a pork chop).

The tapas look interesting enough to stop by after work for a sampler and glass or two of wine. Would anyone care to join me?

I had lunch at Panache this afternoon. The place is decorated in what appears to be a reddish polished mahogany with a lowish light level brightened by the yellow fabric on the chairs. The play a sort of Latin style jazz in the background. George Stephanopolus was dining a couple of table over (ABC news is right down the street). My lunch host and I went with six different tapas, 2 cold and 4 hot. The cold were the Carpaccio topped with a sort of salad mixture and the Spanish style antipasto which chorizo, salami, olives and cheese. Both were very good.

The warm appetizers were generally excellent. We had the fried rice balls stuffed with fontina, the braised rabbit with caramelized onions and toasted almonds, the pork loin brochette and the sautéed artichoke hearts with prosciutto. I thought the rabbit was stellar, my friend agreed but thought it was a toss-up with the artichoke hearts. We both came out saying that we would try it again son and order a slew of different things.

Despite the fact that it has only been opened for three days, they had a decent lunch crowd. We plan to go back.

PS: The staff is still getting its sea legs. Service is a little rocky but no more than is to be expected at this juncture.

hey! greek deli, cf folks, malaysia kopitiam, burrito whomever from the CF folks folks, Naan and Beyond, Firehook, and National Geographic all serve decent lunches within 2 blocks, while Vidalia, Malaysia Kopitiam, and, er,

Tack on House of Kebob on M, the new Heritage India location, Oddles Noodles, Tabard Inn, Bacchus, Sizzling Express, Mackey's (for fish and chips)...the South Dupont area has some decent lunching.

hey!  greek deli, cf folks, malaysia kopitiam, burrito whomever from the CF folks folks, Naan and Beyond, Firehook, and National Geographic all serve decent lunches within 2 blocks, while Vidalia, Malaysia Kopitiam, and, er,

Tack on House of Kebob on M, the new Heritage India location, Oddles Noodles, Tabard Inn, Bacchus, Sizzling Express, Mackey's (for fish and chips)...the South Dupont area has some decent lunching.

For me, this thread is more about a new restaurant and its pros and cons. There certainly are a number of places to eat lunch in the "neighborhood" depending on how you define "neighborhood." On "my" side of Connecticut Ave., there is not much. If you cross CT Ave. and go over a block or two, or cross M St and go up a block or two, it is a different world.

It might be fun to call an impromptu eGullet happy hour at Panache for say 6:00 either tomorrow or Wednesday. Is anyone game (you can post with regard to this inquiry as well)?