• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

English Traditional

BrianYarvin

I think it'll be hard to beat Tea and Sympathy across the river.

However, a year or so ago, I happened to be at Ridgewood station and was surprised to find quite a proper little tea shop there right opposite. Can't remember if they had pasties, but they prpbably do - I certainly remember that they had scones and all kinds of particular pleasures for English expats (Flake chocolates, Ambrosia Rice Pudding, Marmite).

perhaps a Ridgewood resident on these boards will be able to give you exact details.

Ship Inn has a nice ambience, okay food, but if you're going, go for the beer. Top notch English bitter - yes, it's way too fizzy/cold but it's the best I've had this side of the Atlantic. And it's only 4 times the price of a real English pub :)

Make sure you get good directions. You don't want to get lost in that area. There's not a lot of landmarks to go by and it's very easy to go around in circles (I know).

If they have it, order "Cromwell's Revenge."

The shoppe in Ridgewood, if we are referring to the same place, was closed down, the last time I was in Ridgewood, before Christmas. I have been to the shop in Montclair , and they carry the usual Brisitsh staples on a minimal scale.

A great store in the city is Myers of Keswick in the Village. They have a lot of fresh sausages, meat pies, cheeses etc etc.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

A great store in the city is Myers of Keswick in the Village.  They have a lot of fresh sausages, meat pies, cheeses etc etc.

Ah, ye beat me to it!

I lived 2 short blocks away from Myers until 1990. About the same distance from Tea & Sympathy. It was heaven, cuisine-wise. Myers got the bulk of our biz cuz it was great to be able to heat up their meat pies when appetite struck.

Both places very authentic & highly recommended.

P.S. Back to Jersey - I once found myself driving down Ridge Road in Kearny & it looked like I passed an area several blocks long with a # of iterations of Myers-type stores. Many seemed to be Scottish. It was a Sunday or something & nothing was open. Never got back.

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Now you beat me to it, ghostrider! Kearny is chock full of Scottish and a few Irish stores, 'tho I don't know about English. Sadly, I haven't been to any, but if you take Ridge Road in from Rt. 3 and get through Lyndhurst and No. Arlington (maybe it's 3 miles?) you'll enter Kearny, and you'll start to see the odd combo of churrascherias (sp?) and Fish 'n Chips and pubs--for real! I feel confident in guessing that the Brazilian population came in to Kearny later, esp based on the Sir Walter Wallace park on Riverside Avenue! But the town is known for Scottish and Irish foods and stores, so you might also find some of what you're looking for there.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I can highly recommend Stewart's of Kearny, which also does mail-order (and has a phone that is answered by a lovely lady who sounds like she lives in Brigadoon). We got a couple of haggis (haggi?) from them for a Burn's Night party a few months ago, and even the confirmed "haggis is a revolting concept" people came back for seconds. They do sell pasties (though they call them "Cornish pastries") -- look under the "Scottish Foods -- Homemade" section. And their black pudding is swell.

www.stewartsofkearny.com

I can attest to Sally Lunn in the heart of Princeton. It's right on Rt27 just across the street from the university.

It's an old, pink looking house that smells of lavender on the inside. I had a great curried chicken/ mango salad the last time I was there. Though we purchased the best lavender tea and fresh strawberry scones from the take out spot/ pantry downstairs. They had a lot of traditional (or what looked traditional to me) English groceries.

Scones were definitely not like any other I've had. Much more creamy and light.

(Sorry if this post is a bit off the mark for the dish you are looking for, but hey, you asked.)