• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meatloaf Sandwiches

Basilgirl

Hmmm... interesting suggestion. I have to admit that I'm reluctant to try it because I never know where my brown bags have been (nor what chemicals might be in them) and I haven't thus far experienced a moisture problem (I bake to "just done through" temperature rather than to time).

--

I also bake mine on a baking sheet after it has been molded in a loaf pan (a tip I got from Good Eats). In addition to crispiness and draining excess fat it also provides two additional surfaces to brush the sauce on :smile:. And a thermometer IS the best way to judge the donness of anything.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

LOVE meatloaf sandwiches! I make my meatloaf with a ketchup/caramelized onion topping, which I then schmeer on the bread when making the sandwich. Sometimes, mayo, too. (I seem to be developing a troubling affinity for mayonnaise... :hmmm: )

There's a shop down in the Pike's Place Market (3 girls bakery) that makes an excellent meatloaf sandwich. Great on Wheat or Rye bread.

I used to trade my lunches for my friend's whenever she had a meatloaf sandwich. But the kicker is that hers were Mooseloaf , not meatloaf. Her dad went hunting in the fall, and always bagged a moose (my gawd, I remember gazing in horror at ALL the meat in their freezer!). Her mom then made the most incredible Mooseloaf, which she then assembled into sandwiches on her incomperable homemade bread. Yes, my food inclinations started young... :rolleyes:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

A great all around condiment is chili sauce. I prefer Heinz brand chili sauce. It isn't spicy, but rather strikes me as a higher quality ketchup. I use it as a replacement for ketchup whenever possible. Some other brands may have more spice, which isn't to my taste (though I love hot food in general). This would seem to me to be the perfect spread for a meatloaf sandwich.

J. Franklin Campbell

http://JFCampbell.US

Of course my famous sweet & sour red meatloaf glaze HAS horseradish in it,

Jaymes, is that glaze in RecipeGullet???

Edit: Ha! Found it! Famous Meatloaf Glaze by Jaymes

:laugh:

Well, it's famous in MY family anyway. :raz:

Oh, it's famous allright! :biggrin:

Criminy. A girl's gotta be careful what she says around here. :cool:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I don't eat my meatloaf sandwichs cold. I pan fry the slices (in bacon grease of course), then I put them with some cheese and mayo on some sourdough bread and slap them into the magic bags and the toaster.

Made the Cooks Illustrated meatloaf recipe last week (that's the bacon-wrapped one) and have been eating it with in German rye sandwiches with Dijon mustard, those crispy Danish fried onions and homemade (of course) coleslaw. Works for me....

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Mmmmmm... meatloaf. Must make meatloaf. I like to mold mine in a loaf pan and then turn it out onto a sheet pan for cooking so the outside gets crispy and the fat can drain away.

I make my meatloaf the same. It's much easier to slice for sandwiches that way. I like to slice the meatloaf as thin as possible and then use about three slices. With mustard between one slice and carmelized onions between the next slice and then add the bread.

The only reason to make meatloaf, in my opinion, is for the leftovers as sandwiches.

While I've never had a ham-and-cheese type meatloaf, my sandwiches are typically on egg bread or soudough with mayo on the bread and ketchup on the meat; single piece of good lettuce and a bunch of salt. Meatloaf should be (for me) , cold; not warmed.

A real favorite.

God, Jinmyo... that picture looks SO GOOD !!! Got a FedEx office nearby ? I'd pay big bucks for that sandwich. An onion roll; what a good idea.

Edited by fyfas (log)

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

Good mustard (Gulden's is okay), tabasco, and horseradish. Slice of fresh onion, and a pickle on the side....

Or Jinmyo's fine example of meatloaf sandwich.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I am almost out of it now, but I made some killer chutney this summer to help a friend avoid composting several bushels of green tomatoes. . . turns out green tomato-apple chutney on meatloaf is reeeeealllly gooooood.

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

<snip>

Her dad went hunting in the fall, and always bagged a moose (my gawd, I remember gazing in horror at ALL the meat in their freezer!).

<snip>

Did the freezer full of moose include this too? :laugh:

Sorry, a little off topic, but I temporarily lost control. :wacko: Slap my hand!

--------------

Bob Bowen

aka Huevos del Toro

There's a diner in San Francisco, on Church (can't remember where exactly but it's close to Market) that serves meatloaf sandwiches just the way I like it -- nice thick slices of meatloaf with just the right amount of onions and spices mixed in, on crusty slices of Italian bread. Best is when you can get it with caramelized onions or sauteed mushrooms, maybe a side of guacamole too along with some crispy bacon.

OH GOD! Just thinking about it makes me want to fly out there now. heheh.

Their sweet potato fries could use some work though.

edit: Said diner is right across the street from Chow. Maybe Squeat can chime in on this thread and correct me.

Soba

Would that be Sparky's Diner?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"