• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meatloaf Sandwiches

Basilgirl

I have some leftover ham & cheese stuffed meatloaf. I am ashamed to say that I don't think I have ever had a meatloaf sandwich. :shock:

What kind of bread should I use? What kind of spread? Ketchup seems wrong with the Italian flavored meatloaf, but that could just be me. Should I stick more cheese on it? Heat it or eat it cold?

Please help me with this overly simplistic request.

Thank you. :smile:

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Think of it as a burger, but one that already has ketchup on it. Tomatoes would work, provided they have some flavor. Pickles, onions, whatever floats your boat.

Personally, I like tomatoes, a little bit of mayo, and some spicy mustard... Toasted white bread would be appropriate, but there's no law saying you can't put it on whatever you want. Even croissants or pita.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Here at the Mora house, meatloaf is king. It's the single most requested dinner entrée (and must be accompanied by mashed potatoes and caramelized onions).

So meatloaf sandwiches are common here, too. Our favorite spread is mild Ajvar – the eastern european condiment paste made of roasted eggplant, red pepper and garlic. I suspect it would be good with your Italian-leaning loaf. And we use a pain au levain-like farm bread for nearly everything – meatloaf sandwiches included.

I have some leftover ham & cheese stuffed meatloaf..... Ketchup seems wrong with the Italian flavored meatloaf

Hmm. Until I read what kind of meatloaf you have my reply was going to be to use either horseradish or red chile. What kind of cheese did you use? What seasonings exactly?

"Portion control" implies you are actually going to have portions! ~ Susan G

Oh yum. One of the best things in the entire world. Meatloaf sandwiches.

They're good however you do it, but the "classic" in my world anyway is just cold slices of meatloaf and mayo. Lots and lots of mayo. Although tomatoes are good, too.

Meatloaf sandwiches are just good, hot, cold, plain, fancy. Yum.

• Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I have some leftover ham & cheese stuffed meatloaf..... Ketchup seems wrong with the Italian flavored meatloaf

Hmm. Until I read what kind of meatloaf you have my reply was going to be to use either horseradish or red chile. What kind of cheese did you use? What seasonings exactly?

The cheese is provolone (SMOKY!!) and the ham was just plain old Dak imported boiled. The seasonings in the beef/veal/pork mixture are tomato juice (I used V-8), garlic, oregano, Parmesan, S&P. It's very very good and very simple to throw together. Also it is much easier to roll up, using foil as a guide, than it was when I used to help my Mom make it when I was a kid.

But now it turns out The Boyfriend will be absconding with said leftover loaf and therefore sandwiches will not be on the menu tonight. However, I do appreciate all of these and any future replies for the next time we loaf.

DON'T LET YOUR MEAT LOAF!

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

:laugh: At least you know the BF liked it!

That sounds good! For this combo I would use sourdough, with extra cheese, some nice romaine, a beautiful tomato and a thin slice of red onion or some of the wonderful onion confit everyone has been making, and a little sprinkle of garlic powder. (I am a mayo dissenter!)

"Portion control" implies you are actually going to have portions! ~ Susan G

i4938.jpg

Pork and lamb with chiles and onions, slice of provolone, Dijon, onion buns.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

OMG!! That is just the shrine of meatloaf sandwiches! And here I was about to say: good country bread, mayo with horseradish, sliced onions,and spicy mustard.

God eats meatloaf every Tuesday! And meatloaf sandwiches at work the next day.

There's a diner in San Francisco, on Church (can't remember where exactly but it's close to Market) that serves meatloaf sandwiches just the way I like it -- nice thick slices of meatloaf with just the right amount of onions and spices mixed in, on crusty slices of Italian bread. Best is when you can get it with caramelized onions or sauteed mushrooms, maybe a side of guacamole too along with some crispy bacon.

OH GOD! Just thinking about it makes me want to fly out there now. heheh.

Their sweet potato fries could use some work though.

edit: Said diner is right across the street from Chow. Maybe Squeat can chime in on this thread and correct me.

Soba

Jinmyo, thanks for posting that gorgeous pictorial homage to meatloaf sandwiches!

Include me in with the crowd who likes meatloaf sandwiches with mayo and horseradish. :wub:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Mmmmmm... meatloaf. Must make meatloaf. I like to mold mine in a loaf pan and then turn it out onto a sheet pan for cooking so the outside gets crispy and the fat can drain away.

Cold meatloaf sandwiches for me have pickle slices, mild onion and grain mustard.

--

Include me in with the crowd who likes meatloaf sandwiches with mayo and horseradish. :wub:

Of course my famous sweet & sour red meatloaf glaze HAS horseradish in it, so my fave sandwich does include mayo AND horseradish. :rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I like to mix mayo and sriracha (rooster sauce) together for a meatloaf sandwich. Also...I know it may sound weird, but I like wilted mustard greens on one instead of lettuce. All on a nice onion bun.

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

And for any meatloaf sandwich the pleasure is doubled if you frazzle the slices of meatloaf in a saute pan before putting in sandwich with accompaniments of choice. And melt the cheese on top.

Fred Bramhall

A professor is one who talk's in someone else's sleep

Of course my famous sweet & sour red meatloaf glaze HAS horseradish in it,

Jaymes, is that glaze in RecipeGullet???

Edit: Ha! Found it! Famous Meatloaf Glaze by Jaymes

:laugh:

Well, it's famous in MY family anyway. :raz:

I like to mold mine in a loaf pan and then turn it out onto a sheet pan for cooking so the outside gets crispy and the fat can drain away.

Have you tried the brown paper bag method? Shape the loaf and then place it inside a small brown paper lunch bag (or sack depending on what they call them in your neck of the woods). Wrap tightly in the bag, forming the loaf. Bake as usual but right inside that damn bag (I put mine in an oblong casserole dish). The bag helps the meat retain moisture and simultaneously wicks away the fat. This really works - I swear it does. You may want to throw it back in for a bit after removing the bag to get a bit of cripsiness on the outside as this method yields a soft exterior.