• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great Writing About Gumbo

Mayhaw Man

Brett Anderson, the Restaurant Critic for the New Orleans Times Picayune put together two really nice articles about Gumbo. The first is about Gumbo in it's many guises and the second is about where to eat it. This work is important to what we are and what we do down here and the guy deserves some serious credit for really doing his homework. For those of you that think of Gumbo as just a flour based soup and don't really get what the big deal is, these articles might help. And for you potential diners, he breaks down some of my favorite bowls (including Joe's Dreyfuss Store in Livonia, LA-the most worthwhile out of the way drive that you will ever make for a bowl of soup-I promise-hell, call me up. I'll take you there and prove it) into their brackish essence. Read both of these if you are at all interested in this subject, as it would be hard to do better work in a food section-newspaper format. Kudos to Brett. Nice work Buddy.

Bowl of Wonder

Beauty in a Bowl-20 Great Bowls and Where to Get em.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Overall I think its a good list, but there are no surprises here, this is a laundry list of New Orleans' most popular eateries and restaurants. However, I find the omission of Upperline strange, at least to me, because its one of the most serious dark roux gumbos I have ever had, and my favorite out of all the gumbos I've had in N.O.

The focus on Commander's and the Brennans is well deserved, however. That family knows how to make a gumbo.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I agree that he left some places out, but on the other hand he included a few that would surely be over looked by locals (no matter how clued in they are) and tourists alike. I've never heard of "Crabby J's" or "Fay's Takeout and Honey Whip Doughnuts" but I promise I will be going to both places in the next couple of weeks. I would go to "Fays" just on the strength of the name of the place alone. I will probably get a "honey whip" to go along with the gumbo. I wonder if people dunk them in the soup?

Another place not on the list is "Lagniappe Too" in New Iberia. I thought that that light brown gumbo was delicious and a fine example of that type.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Another place not on the list is "Lagniappe Too" in New Iberia. I thought that that light brown gumbo was delicious and a fine example of that type.

I agree with that, it was an excellent rendition.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Wowser. That is quite an article. Well Done!

I was reminded of the lessons I learned in the 70s at the stove of my own personal Gumbo Goddess of LaPlace. She had relatives and friends all over the place and was somewhat of a collector of the different styles. The author is absolutely correct. There was a lot more regionality back then. She taught me the general techniques and variations. Those were some of the most valuable cooking lessons I have ever received.

There are some great ideas in that article. Now, if I can just get my family to "branch out" a little. Usually, if I try to stray from that very dark chicken and sausage version, they get out the torches and dogs. :raz:

I am dying to try Pruhomme's "recipe" with the tasso.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Oh for the love of pete. Now I'm cravin' gumbo. I'll have to make a vat soon. Those were just stellar articles, thank you very much for sharing them. Gumbo was one of the first things that I learned to cook that made me realize that I *really* loved to learn about other cuisines and cultures, and that I didn't know as much as I thought I did.