• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gas water smokers

Brittany

:rolleyes:

Do any of you use a smoker. What are some of your dishes. I got a Smoky Mountain gas water smoker this weekend. Did the rib thing, I think it cooks ribs better than my Smokearoma. I am looking forward to some vegies.

Charlie

First, you should check out col klink's course in the eGCI... Smoking Meat at Home.

I am currently using a Weber Smoky Mountain but it is fueled with charcoal. There shouldn't be too much difference as long as you have temperature control. The Virtual Weber Bullet site will give you some recipe ideas. There are also tons of links to other BBQ sites.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I have a cheesy little Charbroil electric H2O bullet smoker and I can make better ribs than damn near any BBQ place I've ever tried (at least here in the Northeast where good BBQ is always in short supply). The bugaboo for the electric jobs is ambient temp - has to be moderately warm outside or they can't do the job. Should be less of an issue with gas and no problem at all with charcoal.

I bought a Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain gas smoker at Costco recently. It has been great for smoke roasting, but my one attempt so far at real BBQ, a pulled pork recipe, was slightly disappointing. In order to keep the temp down to the appropriate heat for real BBQ-ness, it was slow to generate smoke, especially when reloading with fresh wood chips. The end result was nice and tender but had less smokiness than on previous attempts done with a charcoal grill/smoker.

The convenience of gas for maintaining a temp is unbeatable, but I'm not so sure about the potential for nice, smoky BBQ.

I may attempt a brisket this weekend before opting to convert the unit to charcoal. One change I may do is to crank the gas up when I put in new chips and once the smoke is rolling, bring the gas back down.

Anyone have any tips to try?

:smile:

Bigwino.

That is where I bought mine. This weekend I think I will try something slow and will use your idea of turning up the heat until the chips are going.

I was real satisfied with the way it maintained the heat Sunday and like the results, except for the rub i put on.

Thank all of you for the help and great links.

Charlie

..., it was slow to generate smoke, especially when reloading with fresh wood chips.  The end result was nice and tender but had less smokiness than on previous attempts done with a charcoal grill/smoker.

The convenience of gas for maintaining a temp is unbeatable, but I'm not so sure about the potential for nice, smoky BBQ.

Anyone have any tips to try?

If you are soaking the chips, don't. Anticipate the current load of chips burning out and start a new load before it does. Remember that most smoke flavoring is going to occur early in the cooking cycle. Use more chips then, more than you are currently using. Don't use chips after the first few hours, it is a waste of money.

Jim

I have used a design similar to the Smoky Mountain, but sold under the Brinker Brand. Charcoal rather than gas, and it works great for long, slow cooking brisket and such. Small surface area for grilling, but can work ok for that, too.