• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Durum Semolina flour in Seattle

I've exhausted the supply of durham semolina I brought with me when I moved here. Where is the best placce to buy some more? I checked when I was in DeLaurenti a while back but I didn't see it. But I wasn't yet desperate so I may have missed it.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I know they at least used to have it at Sunshine Produce at 18th & Madison, but I haven't been there for a few years.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I think Sunshine Produce is closed. If you're looking for somewhere in that area, Madison Market can probably special order it, if they don't have it.

No luck at Madison Market when I looked last week, but I'll check about special ordering.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I think Sunshine Produce is closed.

See what I mean? I don't even know if the place still exists, much less whether or not they carry semolina flour. :wink:

Too bad though, they must have been a victim of all the construction in that area.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I'm pretty sure Bob's Red Mill has semolina in a bag.

I've seen Bob's Red Mill Semolina at Larry's in Kirkland.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

I've exhausted the supply of durham semolina I brought with me when I moved here. Where is the best placce to buy some more? I checked when I was in DeLaurenti a while back but I didn't see it. But I wasn't yet desperate so I may have missed it.

DeLaurenti definitely has both durum and semolina as I bought a bag of both. I'm not sure why it's considered one and the same as the durum was quite different from the semolina which was alittle coarse, while the durum was very soft and yellow in color. You'll find the flours upstairs - some on a rack and some behind the counter. I recently bought some semolina flour from Central Market in Poulsbo from their bulk section and it was awful. It was more like semolina cereal and I couldn't make pasta from it as it wouldn't develop. Next time I won't buy such a large amount of an untried product.

This week I went to PCC in West Seattle and bought the Red Mill which they call durum semolina. I haven't tried it yet though. I definitely think DeLaureni has the very best so far.

I checked Borrachini(sp) in Beacon Hill and couldn't believe that they didn't have any pasta flours!

I recently bought some semolina flour from Central Market in Poulsbo from their bulk section and it was awful.

This reminds me, PFI has it in bulk too. I don't know of its quality though.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

I recently bought some semolina flour from Central Market in Poulsbo from their bulk section and it was awful.

This reminds me, PFI has it in bulk too. I don't know of its quality though.

Sorry, but what's PFI?