• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Averna

NickV

Cynar. Pretty similar to Averna. Made with artichokes.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

My favorite every day amari is Amaro Lucano. I didn't care for the Antico Amaro di Serravalle I bought, I found it too sweet and not bitter enough. I'm blanking on the name, but there is a bottle that is short and round with blue flowers on the label that I also enjoyed.

regards,

trillium

Yeah, that's the bottle. Why the hell is it $80 a pop now?? I have an unopened bottle in the closet that I know I paid around $30 for. Did it stop being imported into the US?

And I thought you could find anything in your fair city (including contraband peppercorns!).

regards,

trillium

Yeah, that's the bottle. Why the hell is it $80 a pop now?? I have an unopened bottle in the closet that I know I paid around $30 for. Did it stop being imported into the US?

And I thought you could find anything in your fair city (including contraband peppercorns!).

regards,

trillium

$80 has to be the price for a bottle of Nonino grappa. There is no way that Nonino Amaro is selling for $80. It sells for about Euro 15 in Italy.

Sounds like Amaro Nonino, which is really nice but unfortunately difficult for me to find here in NYC.

Don't forget to check out Craig Camp's amaro TDG article, along with its associated discussion thread.

Amaro Nonino is imported by Paterno Imports these days which means that it sould be readily available in NYC - but of course at a high price.