• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SF's Local Scene

Margaret Pilgrim

You indicated a desire to go to the Ferry Building, but the caveat is to go on Saturday morning, when it coincides with the Farmer's Market. Plan on breakfast there as strolling and munching on everything from Hog Island Oysters to Cow Girl Creamery cheese will fill you up just fine...

I doubt the fish at Farallon is really from the Farallons but when I was growing up in Marin and spending most of my summers at Stinson Beach the buzz was that there was nuclear waste dumped out at the islands and that it raised the water temps enough and leaked enough to encourage three-eyed fish and freaky sharks. I have no idea if any of this is true but it always cracks me up that someone would name a seafood restaurant after this area with its local reputation.

It's true there are leaking 55 gal drums of waste at the islands.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

For goodness sakes!

Try Oliveto (oliveto.com) in Oakland. Paul Bertolli shows that Chez Panisse is not the only thing on the other side of the bay.

In fact, he worked at Chez Panisse and wrote a book with Alice Waters.

He serves great Italian dishes and does things with pigs that few other chefs can imagine...

If you like Pakistani food, eat at Shalimars. There's nothing like it. It's in a sketchy neighborhood, The Tenderloin, but it is, in my opinion, the best place to eat in the city - at least for a regular non-fancy meal. It's one of those places that is so good, that I can't eat anywhere around the Tenderloin anymore, because Shalimars is so good, if you can eat there you must.

It's near the corner of Jones & O'Farrel. 2 year olds are welcome.

Get the Bhuna Gosht. If you are adventurous, ask if they have the Brain Masala. Get stuff from the tandoor, it's all incredible.

Farmer's market is a must because I planned on acquiring some of those fantastic artichokes that we cannot get in NYC without paying a mint for it.

You'll pay a mint for them at the Ferry Plaza farmers' market, too. If you have time on Sunday, check out a REAL farmers' market at UN Plaza near City Hall.

Thanks everyone for the great recommendations, looks like I will have to visit my God Daughter more ofter now....Squeat has recommended coffee to bring back to New York, I know I am definitely going to bring home some huge crabs, and of course Myers lemon if I can find them.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

If you have time on Sunday, check out a REAL farmers' market at UN Plaza near City Hall.

You're right, genetically modified food, sprayed with conventional pesticides and picked by Chinese laborers (in China!) is more "real" than practicing sustainable ag in Northern California!!!!!!

I know the ferry building market can be "precious" and even a little smug, and I'm sure there are Civic Center growers doing a great job, but one is not more "real" than the other.

I'm sure you don't want to hear my ag politics.

edited: for typos

Edited by rancho_gordo (log)

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Farmer's market is a must because I planned on acquiring some of those fantastic artichokes that we cannot get in NYC without paying a mint for it.

The Ferry Market is the only farmers market I can think of that has a fantastic bay view.

But I never understand why people like artichokes so much. I look outside and see those damn wild artichoke plants. I go to the store and see artichokes on sale. I go to the farmers market and see artichokes there. Artichokes, artichokes, artichokes! Ahh!

Okay, I think my workload is getting to me.

Oh, and are you sure you want to bring Dungeness(sp?) crabs on the plane? I think you should eat them right away. Not only will they stink up the plane unless you wrap it really, really well, but I don't know if they'll be good to eat after a 6 hour flight. Forgive me if this is ignorant, because I've never even considered the possibility of taking crab outside of a restaurant. But something in me says you can't do it, unless you have some sort of ice chest.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

If you have time on Sunday, check out a REAL farmers' market at UN Plaza near City Hall.

You're right, genetically modified food, sprayed with conventional presticides and picked by Chinese laborers (in China!) is more "real" than practising sustainable ag in Northern California!!!!!!

I know the ferry building market can be "precious" and even a little smug, and I'm sure there are Civic Center growers doing a great job, but one is not more "real" than the other.

Well said, Gordo!

JS, do you think you can harvest some of those woild artichokes for me? I'll be over nest week to collect them. :laugh: For us East Coast folks, artichokes are little and usually browned at the tips unless you are paying over $4 for each.

As for the Crabs, I've taken them back to NYC before, so I don't really need to do it again, but they sure are good though....May be I'll settle for a huge bag of myers lemon and other produces indigenous to California. (Damn, I know I should have moved there many years ago.....)

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

So I have this really awesome soft sided collapsable cooler that I bought to take on my regular grocery trips around here (NC in the summer+black car+perishables). Wanna guess what my carry on is going to be? :laugh:

I plan on bringing back a fair amount of chocolate for myself and as gifts, and since we're flying back through Texas I don't want to risk meltage.

We're going on the Scharffen-Berger tour. And the Anchor Steam tour. Free chocolate and beer samples!! In my hometown you used to be able to tour the RJR factory where they gave free samples of smokes, I kid you not. I'm guessing they don't do that anymore.

Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market is on for Saturday! Hey, precious and overpriced it may be, but I've been shopping at Whole Foods as my primary grocer for 3 years, so I'm pretty much immune to that whole scene anyway.

Oh, and I did make a reservation for Zuni on Thursday night.

Gourmet Anarchy

The Anchor tour is awesome. You'll have a great time.

I'm at the FPFM every Saturday. If you and/or Bond Girl wanna hook up, let me know.

I know you'll have a good time at Zuni, as well.

JennotJenn where are you from? I was born in Wilmington, but my folks are from Bladen County on my Mom's side and Southern Pines on my Dad's.

Cheers,

Squeat

Just a note, I've only been to Zuni like once or twice but I have to say that though the food is okay, the company was even better in my experience.

Let's just say, there seem to be a lot of politicians that eat there. But it's not that entertaining if you don't follow SF politics. I didn't really get it until my friend told me who they were.

--NeroW

The Anchor tour is awesome. You'll have a great time.

I'm at the FPFM every Saturday. If you and/or Bond Girl wanna hook up, let me know.

I know you'll have a good time at Zuni, as well.

JennotJenn where are you from? I was born in Wilmington, but my folks are from Bladen County on my Mom's side and Southern Pines on my Dad's.

Cheers,

Squeat

My family is from Ashe county (farthest northwestern county in the state), but I grew up in Winston-Salem, home of Krispy Kreme doughnuts and Camel smokes. Went to Wake, too. Man, there's nothing like stepping out of your dorm room and smelling flue-cured tobacco and raspberry filled donuts on the air. It was even better when Stroh's had the brewery off of 52. Smokes, beer and doughnuts. Man, oh man. Starting to wonder why we ever left. Oh yeah. No jobs. Now I remember.

I'll have to ask Heath about a meet up. I keep having to remind myself that it's his vacation too :wink: He may well say yes...after telling him about the Triangle dining club event that he missed out on last night (he had to work late), he kept repeating that he was very, very jealous that I got to go and that he missed it, so I don't know that he'll pass up another chance to meet egulleteers. If we're going to be there anyway, I don't see why not, but I'd better give him a chance to say no.

Gourmet Anarchy

I'm definitely up for a egullet meet up. It will be a nice break from the 2 year old... squeat, what is FPFM?

FPPM: Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I'm definitely up for a egullet meet up.  It will be a nice break from the 2 year old... squeat, what is FPFM?

FPPM: Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market...

Cool. Any eGulleters like to join me?

Thanks everyone for the great recommendations, looks like I will have to visit my God Daughter more ofter now....Squeat has recommended coffee to bring back to New York, I know I am definitely going to bring home some huge crabs, and of course Myers lemon if I can find them.

I'll bring you some Meyer lemons from my tree, BondGirl, providing I can make it. Otherwise, I've seen Meyers at my local Trader Joe's (here in Santa Cruz).

What are your dates again?

Cool.  Any eGulleters like to join me?

Definitely -- I'll be there anyway. I generally try to get there when the market opens at 8:00 am to avoid the serious crowd that gathers around mid-morning, but I realize you guys'll be on vacation, so I'll leave it up to you to decide on a time.

There's a prominent statue of Ghandi in the middle of the stalls behind the Ferry Building that served as a handy meeting-place when a bunch of us Bay Area eGulleteers got together at the FM a while back.

Just let me know what works.

Cheers,

Squeat

PS: Here's a link to a cool page that lets you see which vendors are bringing what produce to the market. It's updated weekly! There are also links on that page to maps of the front and back sections of the market.

Edited by Squeat Mungry (log)

I'll bring you some Meyer lemons from my tree, BondGirl, providing I can make it. Otherwise, I've seen Meyers at my local Trader Joe's (here in Santa Cruz).

What are your dates again?

I will be there from 4/23 to 4/26 and I will figure out a time, when do you guys generally get up there, as a New Yorker, I am at the farmer's market at 8:30 in the morning, what's the usual time for the SF get together there? I am really looking forward to this....

Sorry, I meant in the Bay Area. Pike Place also has a good view. I also like how they sell flowers for half price at the end of the day.

--NeroW

The Ferry Market is the only farmers market I can think of that has a fantastic bay view. 

Excuse me?

Pike Place Market (Seattle) has many views of Elliott Bay. Some from inside restaurants, some not.

Actually, the Oakland Jack London Square Farmer's Market on Sundays is on the very same bay. Only we look at San Francisco, :wink: so if you want to say that the SF view -of our wonderful Oakland hills-is better than a view of San Francisco, far be it from me to correct you.

PS Many (but not all, of course) of the same vendors from FBFM are at Jack London Square on Sundays (the rest being at the Marin County Civic Center FM)

PPS Rancho Gordo, I for one would like to hear your thoughts, and BTW, your tortillas were TDF. We made little pigs out of ourselves; we got shamefully close to eating our way through the entire package a few hours after we bought them from you last week!

Ler 'er fly!

Mind you, I once spent 12 hours (round trip) in the space of 16 in an old yellow school bus just to go to Delano CA to see Cesar Chavez dedicate a retirement community for farm workers. Good music and by-donation eats in the Plaza, too. (JennotJenn, what we smoked en route wasn't Camels.)

I do acknowledge that there's one vendor at FPFM who flies a UFW banner, but I don't guess that's Rancho Gordo. Radical chic!