• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktail Books: The Topic

beans

"Tequila is only for margaritas and palomas" is also laughable. I'd say you're not trying hard enough at the mixology if this is as far as you get.

That's right. There is also the Tequila Sunrise. :raz:

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 1

I feel that there is really a niche there, on science & cocktails, that Kevin Liu had only started to fill.

A publisher asked to see my text on cocktail centric home distillation, but it eventually got shot down. I think the verdict was too much science! so sad.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

• 1 month later...

From Cheri Loughlin, the Intoxicologist:

Cocktails with a Tryst

Stimulating reading, I'm sure.

"The book pairs 25 original cocktail recipes with the 12 erotic stories. Two standard syrup recipes are included."

Lol, what? I guess one of them is a threesome.

Edited by pto (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Oh no, another one!

It looks good, though.  Some fascinating information.

I can't get my nose out of it and I'm not even much of a cocktailian!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 months later...

Got 'Liquid Intelligence' for Christmas, I find it quite fascinating. Not really sure how much use I will get out of it just for home, but am enjoying reading it nonetheless. The subtle humour is fun, Daquiri instructions of 'blend,drink,repeat', and 'I associate a warm martini with sadness', made me laugh.

I received The 12 Bottle Bar as a gift and I have to say that I am very happy with it. It seems much more approachable to me than some of the more esoteric books. Many of the ingredients used by posters to our cocktail topics are simply not available to me either because they are costly or because our government controlled liquor board refuses to stock them. This book makes many drinks seem possible. For the sophisticated cocktailian I am sure it seems very limiting.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Using Amazon to look ahead at the coming year's releases, I see a few books I'll probably pick up:

• Salvator Calabrese's Classic Cocktails
  • Julie Reiner's The Craft Cocktail Party
  • Paul Clarke's The Cocktail Chronicles
  • The Dead Rabbit Drinks Manual, from the eponymous establishment
  • Gaz Regan's The Negroni

edit: missed a word

Edited by J_Ozzy (log)

The Negroni one sounds interesting - such a simple drink to have its own book, but I understand why.

About May, I think Amazon says.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Different.

Old one (2013) / new one.

The old one is essays about the drink, where the new one is recipes, history, etc.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Reissue/repackage? :smile:

The old book had history and recipes too. The publisher is different (Ten Speed Press vs. Jared Brown).

Could be. I don't own either version. so it's new to me regardless. :smile: