• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktail Books: The Topic

beans

I know what I'm dreaming about tonight!

Here is "Jon" 's recipe for those curious.

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

I've been paging through my copy of the Morgenthaler book here and there today, and I think it's really terrific -- and fills exactly the need for a book on technique. I'm only 40 pages in, but I'm already convinced that this book would be the basis for any training I'd do with restaurant staff or home aficionados. (I'd add Gary Regan's Joy of Mixology, which goes into some other issues including serving/managing guests, a gap in JM's book noted by Rafa.) 

It's also a beautiful object, great visual design and terrific to hold. 

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I've been paging through my copy of the Morgenthaler book here and there today, and I think it's really terrific -- and fills exactly the need for a book on technique. I'm only 40 pages in, but I'm already convinced that this book would be the basis for any training I'd do with restaurant staff or home aficionados. (I'd add Gary Regan's Joy of Mixology, which goes into some other issues including serving/managing guests, a gap in JM's book noted by Rafa.) 

It's also a beautiful object, great visual design and terrific to hold. 

A pretty book and an excellent training aid/reference, then.

Have you learned anything new? (I am sure I am going to end up buying it, I am just making a vague attempt at delaying the inevitable outcome by convincing myself I don't need another book in my collection!)

• 2 months later...

Martin Doudoroff has a new app for iPhone/iPad indexing over 700 recipes from every major pre-Prohibition bar book. It's beautifully organized and allows you to search by the recipe's provenance or your ingredients on hand. He's adding recipes from just post-Prohibition in free updates and expects to continue into the 1950s and 60s. As far as I can tell, this is the most comprehensive commercially available index of classic American drinks there is. Highly, highly recommended.

• Like 2

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

For those of us who are all too easily overwhelmed by the quantity of spirits available, can anyone comment on the recently released The 12-Bottle Bar by the Solmonsons.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

For those of us who are all too easily overwhelmed by the quantity of spirits available, can anyone comment on the recently released The 12-Bottle Bar by the Solmonsons.

There is a review on the Kindred Cocktails site (as a starting off point).

There is a review on the Kindred Cocktails site (as a starting off point).

Thank you for the link.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

A pretty book and an excellent training aid/reference, then.

Have you learned anything new? (I am sure I am going to end up buying it, I am just making a vague attempt at delaying the inevitable outcome by convincing myself I don't need another book in my collection!)

Haven't read the whole book yet, but thought it was interesting that his tests show that room temp limes do NOT yield more juice than chilled ones. I've been leaving my limes on the counter (where they deteriorate faster), but now just put them in the fridge and juice them cold.

I have a serious rebuttal in mind for the Washington Post article about 12 Bottle Bar....

And you'll keep us/me hanging for this until.....?

My 2004 eG Blog

...I've had a day off after my 80 hour week...

Maybe, if I can muster the energy to talk shop when I'm out of work.

Sounds fair.

My 2004 eG Blog

I found that AP interview, but there isn't much to "rebut" in it. I guess I'll stay tuned.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

• 3 weeks later...

...I've had a day off after my 80 hour week...

Maybe, if I can muster the energy to talk shop when I'm out of work.

Any chance you found the time and energy to perhaps rebut?

My 2004 eG Blog

The idea that a self proclaimed "home mixologist" doesn't know what to do with a bottle of "creme de esoteric" or even bought it without trying it or having an understanding of its flavour profile seems contradictory to me.

"Tequila is only for margaritas and palomas" is also laughable. I'd say you're not trying hard enough at the mixology if this is as far as you get.

I say this after having just batched a mix of repo tequila, cider vinegar, honey, soy and celery bitters that will be thrown with yellow bell pepper juice. It's Mexican street food in a glass (the chefs at the burger joint that opened opposite us love it. Umami is on trend, you know) and yes maybe it's a bit like a margarita once all you're left with sweet and sour, but isn't everything?

If my favourite spirits were gin and rye (they are) I would say I wouldn't stock genever and instead I'd have fun mixologying my own. In fact, I can't really name many decent genever drinks actually. Yeah I could consult my Jerry Thomas guide for inspiration, or I could put some drinks on my menu with a spirit people recognise and enjoy, like tequila.

Lastly, if I give you a bottle of vodka and some time, you can make me liqueurs?

Okay, make me a bottle of Chartreuse please: I have a regular who has drunk three bottles neat since we met him in June.

And facetiousness aside, why not make infusions with a good light rum? We have two vodka cocktails on our bar and they are both infused, however it's more for the sake of the guests who don't drink anything other than vodka, not us. If I were a "home mixologist" I'd make myself a superlative version with a nice white rum.

Tl;dr

The article and the ideas within seem somewhat contradictory to me, even given the home bar principle.

• Like 2

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

Thank you, Adam George. Another point of view is rarely out of place.

My 2004 eG Blog

I'll be honest, my boss and I were left head scratching a bit. The premise of twelve bottle bar is great, but the choices and then reasons behind them seem really odd.

Oh and the gin versus vodka argument in martinis is null, in my opinion.

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

The 12 bottle bar is a good concept, but I almost got the impression that they made some unusual/controversial choices to get people talking. And it's working. Because who in their right mind would include genever and vodka in their essentials; it does not make any sense. We have lists that make much better sense in our discussion on The Ten-Bottle Start-up Home Cocktail Bar .

Anyway, there are more exciting things to spend our $/£/€/etc on. The Death & Co book is out soon, in October, and Dave Arnold's book, Liquid Intelligence: The Art and Science of the Perfect Cocktail shortly after, in November. I feel that there is really a niche there, on science & cocktails, that Kevin Liu had only started to fill.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 2

I've said it before and I'll say it again, after many failed attempts to get into D&Co, I finally made it in with Rafa a few months ago, and it blew my mind. No other place has so surpassed the hype. I canNOT wait for the book.

Also, D-Arnz has one coming out? That should be quite the work too.