• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktail Books: The Topic

beans

I received my copy of Katie's book on Saturday, and have gone through it in my usual methodical fashion. Congratulations, Katie! The book is a hardcover, spiral-bound notebook (lays flat), nice trim size, good paper, well-designed and photographed, and an index that needs work (I used to work in book production, so...). Katie's book is well-written, no-nonsense (that's a compliment), clear, well-organized, and attractive, with a sense of humor. The book is at once efficient and accessible and creative: it gives a sense of possibility and invitation and high standards without being intimidating or pretentious. This is someone who knows the measure of what she does, and makes neither more nor less of it than it deserves.The emphasis is on hand-wrought flavor and freshness, and how easy and worthwhile it is to do this--both the classic (grenadine, two methods provided) and the surprising (celery syrup). What are the chances that I would have on hand both lemongrass and ruby grapefruit (local), the basis for her Ruby Red Grapefruit-Lemongrass Cordial? That will be the first thing I try. Next will be (since I also have a pineapple) the Smoked Pineapple Syrup. And there is a recipe for bitters. Tempting, no?

Jane:

Thanks so much for the kind words! It's funny, I've been called "no nonsense" in several different contexts and at this point I most definitely take it as a compliment. I speak from my gut, for whatever that is worth. I guess the visceral approach works for me. :rolleyes:

The two methods for the grenadine are meant to be combined. Sort of a "best of both worlds" batch when you're done. Fresh fruitiness of the cold and the viscosity and depth of flavor from the cooked half.

Let me know how your grapefruit cordial turns out. It occurred to me after the fact that it might make an interesting addition to a Paloma variation. But the straight up gimlet variation has proven popular wherever I've served it too. I'd love to hear your thoughts when your batch is completed and you've played around with it a bit.

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I have made the red grapefruit-lemongrass syrup and made two drinks with it: one with vodka, orange, and lemon; one in a very lime-y (gin) gimlet. I had to sub for the store-bought additional grapefruit juice as I didn't have it and was out of fresh, so used coconut water (seemed right), and jasmine water for the rose water, because I just can't find the damn stuff, which I know is hiding somewhere in the cupboard. Beautiful color, very nice, a little sweet I thought--I might cut the sugar next time. So when I made the first drink with vodka and orange/lemon, I added a few drops of bitters...but the gin drink was just right with an equal amount of cordial.

Hope you don't mind, Katie, I wrote about you/your book on my blog (link below). The more I look at your book, the more interesting it seems. You've moved it into the kitchen, and I like that.

Jane:

Thanks so much for the props and shout out in the blog! Your drink looks and sounds delicious! And I love that you made some substitutions. The whole idea of the book is to get folks to think creatively with the ingredients. I love that.

I've sent a link to your blog post to the folks at my publisher, so they can see what is undoubtedly the first review of my book! Thanks again! Much appreciation for the support!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

I received the book a few weeks ago. I'll admit to being a cocktail-making newbie, the most ambitious being a mojito and that's mostly just because the previous owner of our home decided to plant some mint before they left which, as it wont to do has more or less taken over... But I can certainly appreciate well-made drinks with fresh ingredients and with a 9 month old impacting our ability go out, excited to try some at home (especially a Mai Tai with the orgeat - soft spot since our honeymoon in Hawaii) as the book seems to demystify much of it. My only criticism is that it doesn't seem to contain the recipe for the supremely delicious tiki drink you were serving at the Alex's Lemonade Great Chefs Event - which, of course isn't so much as a criticism as much as a thinly veiled request for the recipe. ;)

Now I just need to make more friends so I have an excuse to make more drinks!

Hi everyone

Just wanted to let you all know that my new book, Destination: Cocktails, is being printed as we speak. It will make it's debut at Tales of the Cocktail later this month; I'll be signing copies from 1:00 to 2:00 pm on Sunday the 29th!

More info at www.destinationcocktails.com

cheers!

Host Note: Click here for the terms under which this event is listed in the eGullet forums

Edited by heidih (log)

-James

My new book is, "Destination: Cocktails", from Santa Monica Press! http://www.destinationcocktails.com

Please see http://www.tydirium.net for information on all of my books, including "Tiki Road Trip", and "Big Stone Head", plus my global travelogues, and more!

Hi everyone

Just wanted to let you all know that my new book, Destination: Cocktails, is being printed as we speak. It will make it's debut at Tales of the Cocktail later this month; I'll be signing copies from 1:00 to 2:00 pm on Sunday the 29th!

More info at www.destinationcocktails.com

cheers!

Host Note: Click here for the terms under which this event is listed in the eGullet forums

Looks like an interesting book. Please tell us more!

I received the book a few weeks ago. I'll admit to being a cocktail-making newbie, the most ambitious being a mojito and that's mostly just because the previous owner of our home decided to plant some mint before they left which, as it wont to do has more or less taken over... But I can certainly appreciate well-made drinks with fresh ingredients and with a 9 month old impacting our ability go out, excited to try some at home (especially a Mai Tai with the orgeat - soft spot since our honeymoon in Hawaii) as the book seems to demystify much of it. My only criticism is that it doesn't seem to contain the recipe for the supremely delicious tiki drink you were serving at the Alex's Lemonade Great Chefs Event - which, of course isn't so much as a criticism as much as a thinly veiled request for the recipe. ;)

Now I just need to make more friends so I have an excuse to make more drinks!

bsims:

thanks so much for the kind words! The drinks at the Alex's Lemonade Stand event were developed after the book was long in production and were the product of working with what products were donated for the event. House Spirits of Portland, OR and Vita Coco were both sponsors, so the beverage director for Vetri restaurants and I came up with those two cocktails the weekend before the event after a brainstorming session at Alla Spina. I can't reveal the recipes yet, since tweaked up versions of those very drinks will be featured at a tiki pop up event in August at Rum Bar. Since you're obviously local to me in Philly, you shouldn't make any other plans for the evening of Thursday August 16. Details about the event can be found here. The teaser video is awesome! I thought we were going to burn the place to the ground, LOL!!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

This week I heard news of two new cocktail book efforts.

• Stew Ellington has a kickstarter going to try to publish his "901 Very Good Cocktail: A Practical Guide". It is a mix of worthy classics and cutting-edge modern drinks. I certainly think this is a worthwhile project, from the looks of it. I pitched in my financial support, but he needs lots more to make a go of it. Unless he makes his goal, you don't pay anything. http://www.kickstart...practical-guide
  • Fred Yarm (Cocktail Virgin Slut) noted on his fackbook page that he's completed the writing and editing of his "Drink & Tell: A Boston Cocktail Book". It's a guide to 4-5 years of sampling craft cocktails at Boston top (famous or not) cocktail bars. I'm sure it was painful research. I'm looking forward to seeing it in print http://www.facebook....151012526313458

And speaking of books, I have some free give-away copies of "Bitter Drink", a cocktail-infused crime novel by F. G. Haghenbeck, a Mexican writer (now translated into English). http://www.kindredcocktails.com/review/bitter-drink

Edited by EvergreenDan (log)

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

• Fred Yarm (Cocktail Virgin Slut) noted on his fackbook page that he's completed the writing and editing of his "Drink & Tell: A Boston Cocktail Book". It's a guide to 4-5 years of sampling craft cocktails at Boston top (famous or not) cocktail bars. I'm sure it was painful research. I'm looking forward to seeing it in print http://www.facebook....151012526313458

That would be me. It's over 500 cocktails with most created between 2007-2012 with a few older. There are no classics other than specific Boston variations for I did not want to take up space re-creating the wheel when people like DeGroff, Hess, and Regan do it with such panache. I removed all infusions and shrubs, but kept a handful of syrups that could not be purchased (I provide the recipes at the end) -- I tried to make the collection home bartender-friendly. Attributions given to bar (always) and bartender (when known) with back story provided when it was available. The response so far has been pretty great, from the general concept to people flipping through the actual book proof. Mid-September is the target date.

That would be me. It's over 500 cocktails with most created between 2007-2012 with a few older. There are no classics other than specific Boston variations for I did not want to take up space re-creating the wheel when people like DeGroff, Hess, and Regan do it with such panache. I removed all infusions and shrubs, but kept a handful of syrups that could not be purchased (I provide the recipes at the end) -- I tried to make the collection home bartender-friendly. Attributions given to bar (always) and bartender (when known) with back story provided when it was available. The response so far has been pretty great, from the general concept to people flipping through the actual book proof. Mid-September is the target date.

Sounds interesting. Is there an app version in the works as well? I find drinks apps to be very user-friendly thanks to their search features (I am also trying to limit my book acquisitions due to space). Thanks!

Charles: 19 from Brick & Mortar

FrogPrincesse: I haven't considered an app yet, but you are not the first person to mention it. There will be eBook versions (which is more asked about) since that is a more simple conversion from regular book file to eBook file. I know that the software I'm using (QuarkXpress) will do web pages, but I don't see anything about apps.

• 3 weeks later...

As of today, the Drink & Tell: A Boston Cocktail Book is available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and soon elsewhere. Working on the Kindle and Nook versions. And it should be in some brick & mortar stores like the Boston Shaker!

Here's the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/0988281805

Edited by Mjx (log)

• 5 months later...

A new book by eG member Kevin Liu, Craft Cocktails at Home: Offbeat Techniques, Contemporary
Crowd-Pleasers, and Classics Hacked with Science
just came out. Has anybody read it? From its table of contents, it looks like it would be an interesting read with a science-based approach to cocktail-making.

A new book by eG member Kevin Liu, Craft Cocktails at Home: Offbeat Techniques, Contemporary

Crowd-Pleasers, and Classics Hacked with Science, just came out. Has anybody read it? From its table of contents, it looks like it would be an interesting read with a science-based approach to cocktail-making.

my copy is in the mail. i had the pleasure of finally meeting and making drinks for kevin a few weeks ago. kevin is definitely brilliant. i cannot wait to see what he has come up with. i went with a print version but i hear a free kindle version is available on thursday.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

Chris, good catch. I struggled a lot with whether to include this chart:

Citrus Juices.jpg

Most online references will say that lime and lemon juices should not be stored in the fridge for more than a week or so, but I wasn't able to find any scientific literature to back that up.

The info on lime juice comes from a review of literature found in Hui (ed.), Handbook of Fruits and Fruit Processing, Page 345. It summarizes a 1961 paper by Ikeda et al. this way:

"Pasteurized juice can be stored at 2◦C for 15 months without appreciable change in flavor. In untreated samples, changes occur and storage life is limited to about 4.5 months at 27◦C."

So I actually tried to go *very* conservative in the 1-2 month recommendation, which I found reference for lemon juice, if memory serves me right.

With that being said,

"Shelf life" in this context refers specifically to when consumers felt that lime juice was "unacceptable" in flavor. By my testing, I think lime juice gets overly bitter in about a day or so due to enzymatic bittering, which is why I say the juice is best used in 4-10 hours.

So: I wouldn't use 1-2 month lime juice ever. But I wanted to be complete in my testing, so there you go.

Does that make sense?

I blog about science and cooking: www.sciencefare.org

Watching for the paperback to hit amazon.ca. My ereader isn't a Kindle... and I kinda like having my cocktail books as physical books anyway.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Finished Craft Cocktails at Home last night and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's the first book I'd recommend to those with a science/engineering background who want to get into cocktails. That said, a lot of its content is directed at those already invested in cocktail culture. It has a lot to offer cocktail enthusiasts(/nerds) who want to understand the scientific underpinnings of important concepts like dilution, citrus freshness, infusion, acid content, etc. It puts across a huge amount of information in a style that stays light, clear, amusing, and witty. And it's full of great ideas and recipes that I can't wait to try: almost instant allspice liqueur (which I'll be making later this week), an orgeat recipe so simple it feels like cheating, and many more. I'm especially glad for the chapter on good drinks to convert cocktail novices, and for the exploration of alternative forms of acid in cocktails, a concept I've long been interested in. My one complaint, if you can call it that, is that many of the chapters feel more like jumping-off points for further discussion than complete overviews of a given subjects; but, as this is a forum devoted precisely to those kinds of discussions, and as there's an entire blog attached to the book to explore and interact with, I don't see this as a real problem. (One other complaint, this one directed at Amazon: the Kindle app on my iPhone consistently mangled all the lovely charts. You get what you pay for, I guess.) Thank you for the book, Kevin, and I look forward to reading on on the blog.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

@Rafa,

great comments, thanks a ton. I'm working on getting all the charts and graphics on to the blog now. If you have any specific questions about recipes or techniques please feel free to post here or drop me an email at kevin@craftcocktailsathome.com

I blog about science and cooking: www.sciencefare.org