• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nouveau East

I have always liked the sushi at Nouveau East in Ballston, especially their unagi. I have mentioned this on other threads and want to warn people now -- RUN!

I went in this weekend and got the dreaded "we changed our menu". I knew I was in trouble when I saw a new setup that was obviously put in place to hold a lunch buffet. They changed the whole theme of the restaurant too from asian fusion with a solid sushi bar with interesting daily specials to very straightforward bento boxes and sukiyake and got rid of the interesting baby octopus and other neat sushi specials. Basically, they added the bagged salad with ginger dressing, a buffet, and turned themselves into Matsutake instead of a nice restaurant with an interesting menu. I think they changed ownership because they no longer have a liquor license so I couldn't even choke down my bad sushi with a big bottle of Kirin.

I wouldn't recommend going for the sushi anymore there. It wasn't cut good and didn't have a lot of flavor. The unagi went from a sweet and slightly charred warm treat to a cold limp mush. If I wanted that, I could have gone to matsutake across the street or bought some Harris Teeter sushi. They turned a decent place into a truly mediocre chain-like monstrosity. I hope they choke on their lunch buffet profits.

Here's what's going on at Nouveau East: New Owner, new menu (totally Japanese, instead of Asian [con]fusion), no liquor license until new owner is approved by VA ABC. The lunchtime buffet which will feature "all you can eat" sushi is a cause for genuine concern. I am hoping that things will eventually shake out -- they still have many of the previous wait staff who are good kids. The problem this establishment faces is wrong demographics -- Ballston Commons is heavily Latino in clientel, and not very many Asians. I suggest Latin-Asian fusion for the menu, but the cook staff only speak Cantonese and Mandarin -- they're having trouble with the new Japanese menu!

I agree that the original sushi at Noveau East really rocked! The original sushi chef, Jeff, left and is now at the Tokyo Steak House in Alexandria.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Here's what's going on at Nouveau East: New Owner, new menu (totally Japanese, instead of Asian [con]fusion), no liquor license until new owner is approved by VA ABC. The lunchtime buffet which will feature "all you can eat" sushi is a cause for genuine concern. I am hoping that things will eventually shake out -- they still have many of the previous wait staff who are good kids. The problem this establishment faces is wrong demographics -- Ballston Commons is heavily Latino in clientel, and not very many Asians. I suggest Latin-Asian fusion for the menu, but the cook staff only speak Cantonese and Mandarin -- they're having trouble with the new Japanese menu!

I agree that the original sushi at Noveau East really rocked! The original sushi chef, Jeff, left and is now at the Tokyo Steak House in Alexandria.

that is good to know. I was thinking of asking them where the original chef went to because I know he would not have put forth my friday night dinner there.

IT really is a tough area for them. With Rock Bottom and Macaroni grill there, they only seem to get busy when there is a big line for those places. I cannot imagine why anyone would eat at a macaroni grill...

staff who are good kids. The problem this establishment faces is wrong demographics -- Ballston Commons is heavily Latino in clientel, and not very many Asians. I suggest Latin-Asian fusion for the menu, but the

Maybe this is true of the evening crowd, but the lunch crowd from neighboring businesses, including e*trade and all of the neighboring defense contractors and software companies (where I work) is extremely diverse. We drive out to Eden Center for lunch on a regular basis.

:raz: Speaking of Eden Center (located at 7 Corners) -- anyone seeking really good, cheap Chinese (via Vietnam) eats should go to one of the small hole in the wall restaurants located inside the center. Can't tell you what it's called, but it's the site of the original Marks Duck House (since relocated) and it's owned by a young Cantonese guy (also via Vietnam) named Han. No liquor license, but they let you bring in your own wine and don't charge corkage. The wontons are truly outstanding, as is everything else like the roast duck, pork and chicken.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode