• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary Herbs of Ontario

itch22

Ontario has a wide range of climate zones but a few herbs/culinary grow wild

throughout

5 that come to mind

Wild Ginger

Wild Leeks (ramps)

Bear garlic

Juniper Berries

Spruce Tips

In the southern section (Zone 5- 6b) almost all soft herbs grow well and many

hard herbs and tender perrenials with protection survive the winter.

Edited by Farmer Dave (log)

Mint, of course, tons of mint. And I know a hillside that is entirely covered with low-growing thyme. Angelica, if you are in for old-fashioned fun and very careful not to get water hemlock. Sorrel will go wild if left; I've found patches of it in overgrown former houselots. Wintergreen.

• 9 months later...
Mint, of course, tons of mint. And I know a hillside that is entirely covered with low-growing thyme. Angelica, if you are in for old-fashioned fun and very careful not to get water hemlock. Sorrel will go wild if left; I've found patches of it in overgrown former houselots. Wintergreen.

What about Morels? Anywhere in Ontario?

Yep. In my brother-in-law's front yard in flocks, for one.

(Though don't imagine I'll tell you where he lives! :biggrin: )

I also once found a gigantic crop of morels in fresh mulch on the flower beds of a new Canadian Tire in my town. Boy, did I get looks as I squatted down and greedily harvested the lot into my bag of batteries or whatever it was.

Those little sour leaves of wild sorrel grow just about everywhere, usually in poor soil.

I'd be dubious about harvesting them for commercial use unless I was damned sure about the soil they grew in. Nothing like serving your customers fresh leaves from the 40-year-old toxic waste dump... :raz:

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 words rgruby:

Michael Stadtlander

It's sad when people like Christina Cushing are more of a houshold name then those who'd rather cook then host a show such as Michael. Off topic, did anyone catch the interview with him on CBC Radio 1 a few months back? It was great to here him talk about how he arrived at his current farm/restaurant, his cooking experiences in Germany before moving to Canada, and when he acctually taught cooking here in Canada. I bet you those students had a leg up on Toronto's George Brown grads. :laugh:

-- Jason

That hour of him walking around Eigensinn with the reporter in tow...?

Oh yea........a chef enroute somewhere called me at home when he heard it on the car radio.......it was very interesting......I think not only for people immersed in

the sustainable food part of the business but just anyone who cares how and where and why they put together either a menu or just a dinner for their family.

2 words rgruby:

Michael Stadtlander

Just a little caution - Michael (although a great chef) is NOT a qualified mushroom expert.

I speak as one who consumed (greedily) some of Michael's "hand gathered mushrooms" (direct quote before being served) - only to discover a few hours later that at least one was poisonous.

I won't gross you out with the details but, suffice it to say, it wasn't pretty.

That's the one.  Was it just me, or did that reporter sound a little out of shape at times?

I think it was Bernie St. Laurent (my spelling could be off); he's the breathless soft spoken guy who fills in for Tremonti and Rogers.

Wasn't there a mini-series or at least one TV show done at Eigensinn? I remember catching a few minutes of it; it was dull, gray, and a trifle boring, at the end of winter. I'd love to revisit it.

Probably Forbes Wild Foods on the Danforth.......a little goes a long way...

Best source is to go out and pick some.....you sure would appreciate why they cost so much........just look for the dark purple-black ones....the green and light blue ones are unripe....they take a couple years to ripen and each bush will have all stages going at once........

Nothing in evergreens that I can think of. Just make sure your looking in a juniper bush; any good gardening or tree guide will help.

By the way, there are a lot of recipes in Elizabeth David's series of books using juniper berries in updated methods from 19th century ( and older) notions. I can usually get her books through interlibrary loans, as my Penguins haven't really lasted that well..

I need them because when cooking for my Czech in-laws I find anything that is "a la Alsacienne" goes over very well. For most of these dishes I need good juniper berries.

-- Jason

Does juniper naturally grow here in Ontario? I have googled extensively and all Canadian specific documents about juniper refer to the rocky mountain juniper in British Columbia and Alberta. There it grows extensively.

I did find one article about the Quarry Bay Nature Reserve here in Ontario that features juniper.

I live in Prince Edward county, in a paticularily rocky area with shallow, sandy soil. My property (several acres of forest) consists of oak, maple, ironwood, a variety of evergreen tree, and a WHOLE LOT OF BUCKTHORN!!! There is so much buckthorn you need armour to take a walk! There are a lot of evergreen shrubs but I never noticed if any resembled juniper.

Also, juniper and juniper sledge (carex juniperorum), are two different things right?

Edited by itch22 (log)

-- Jason