• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Wine Under $10

maxmillan

I'm on a budget and like to know what is your favorite red and white wine for under $10? (That's $10 Canadian,

or approximately $13 USD.) And what is it that you liked about it? What food did you pair with it?

Thanks

:smile:

I'm on a budget and like to know what is your favorite red and white wine for under $10? (That's $10 Canadian,

or approximately $13 USD.) And what is it that you liked about it? What food did you pair with it?

Thanks

:smile:

I think it's the other way around $10 US = $13 Canadian. So $10 CAN would be about $7.60. That may narrow your choices a bit, but they are out there.

For 9.95 or so US, Castle Rock Russian River Pinot Noir.

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

I know exactly where you're coming from. We're saving for our annual trip to the beach, so our wine budget is one of the first things to get cut. We go through a case+ a week, so the savings add up quickly.

For reds:

• Los Cardos Cabernet Sauvignon -- a truly decent (though one dimensional) Argentine Cab for about $7.00 USD
  • Solaz -- a Spanish blend of Tempranillo and Cab Sav for about $9.00 USD. Wine Spectator or Wine Enthusiast, I forget which, gave this an 89
  • Taurino Salice Salintino -- a truly wonderful Italian red. Mark Somellier (an eGulleter who really knows his stuff) called this one of the undiscovered bargains of the decade. About $11.00 USD this is my favorite of the under $13 bunch.
  • At $14 USD is the Marques de Caceres Rioja, which is pretty f*ing wonderful no matter what the price. My top cheeseburger to filet mignon wine of all time.

For whites -- well, I don't know as much about inexpensive whites. I do know, however, that its a lot tougher to make a good, inexpensive white than it is to make a good, inexpensive red. Dunno why, but cheap whites just taste cheap. That said, a couple of good ones

• Morande -- a Chilean Sauvignon Blanc that is really pretty damn tasty for $6.50 USD
  • RH Phillips Sauvignon Blanc -- a California white that just plain works with anything, about $12 USD
  • Mud House -- a New Zealand (Marlborough) Sav Blanc that at $14 USD beats anything and everything up to the $35 USD range

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

Oops, you're right, viaChgo. I meant $10 Cad and $7.60 USD.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will have to look more carefully in my local liquor store. A lot of them sound unfamiliar but I will press the wine consultants to stock them.

Much appreciated! :smile:

BTW, I bought a white from France called Domaine de Sancet 2002 for $10 Cad and it's not bad. I was told by the wine staff that the region is know for growing good grapes.

My favourite red wine under $10 Cdn is actually under $7.00 at the LCBO. "Farnese- Sangiovese Dauina" is a light easy drinking red made from 100% sangiovese grapes. It has a light fruity taste and it has never met a tomato it didn't like. My second favorite red is "Quartana - Montepulciano d'Abruzzo" by Spinelli. It retails for $6.55 in Ontario. It opens up nicely if decanted whereas the Farnese is great right out of the bottle.

I hope this gives you a start.

Salut!

Michael

I just bought a case of Bodega Lurton Pinot Gris...The 2003 vintage of this Argentinian white is amazing...It's 2 for $10 at my local packie, but Best Cellars, a chain, offers it for $8 per bottle...If anyone said they bought it for $12, you would think they were a clever shopper, indeed...It's very light for Pinot Gris, not sweet at all, but it still has that bitter-kind-of-sour-kind-of tail...Call around. Stock up.

Edited by galleygirl (log)

Castle Rock wines are regularly at my local Safeway on sale for $5 a bottle.

Tanya, are you serious? Hell, I'll have you buy my wine and ship it to me!

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.