• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Introduction

Brad Ballinger

Hello everyone. Craig had asked me to post an introduction that goes into a bit more depth than my bio, so here goes...

Like many of the people who participate in this site, I’m fanatical about food and, in particular, wine. As far back as I can remember, I’ve always been fascinated with bringing a meal to the table. But my interest really took off in college, where I had an arrangement with my roommates that I would do all the cooking, and they would do all the dishes. The more clean dishes there were, the more “elaborate” the meals I would prepare. On occasion we would have wine with the meals, but it was more because we liked the idea of wine with dinner than the actual wine itself.

That changed in graduate school at Miami University (Ohio). Although I earned a Master of Arts in Speech Communication, a fellow grad student and I audited a class in the Geography department titled “Geography of Wines.” We were interested in the class because we had heard that each session ended with a wine tasting. But what turned out to be an excuse to get a buzz on kicked off a lifelong learning adventure with wine.

That’s the approach I’ve taken toward wine since that autumn in 1983 – that of a student auditing this endless course about wine. I use the word “audit” because I’m not pursuing a designation or certification. Wine will likely always be an avocation; never a vocation. I use the word “student” because I am always learning about wine. Every year there is a new vintage worldwide. Every year there are new vineyards planted. Every year there are new producers that surface. Every year new and different wines are distributed. And, if I let it, every glass has something new to teach me.

That’s the perspective I hope to bring eGullet’s Wine Forum. When Craig Camp first wrote me asking me to co-host the wine forum, he wrote that he was looking for a “serious amateur” to bring that perspective and that voice to the forum. I feel I can do that. Wine is not my profession, and I am nowhere near an expert. I view wine as a consumer and a learner. It’s easy for any serious hobbyist to get so into a hobby to the point where he or she develops a narrower and narrower view of the topic, becoming increasingly out of touch with the more casual hobbyist. Although I may have failed from time to time, I’ve tried to not let that happen to me. I try to view wine from a perspective broader than my own narrow preferences.

For example, I personally don’t care for many of the extracted and heavily oaked wines being produced lately – primarily in North American and Australia, but they are gaining a larger foothold in Europe as well. Even a casual reading of my tasting notes will reveal that. But I don’t place a value judgment on those who prefer them. The market is obviously demanding more of these wines. Although some of my fellow wine geeks may wish it to be otherwise, there are no universal absolutes in wine or other matters of taste.

Even my consumerism is affected by my learner side. Compared to most “serious amateurs” I know, my cellar size is relatively small (about 300 bottles), but there is a high degree of turnover. I go through phases experimenting with different wines. Right now, I’m in a predominantly Italian phase. Who knows what will be next, but I’ll probably never make enough money to go through a serious Burgundy phase. For that, I’ll just have to find more rich and generous friends.

On the personal side, my wife Marcia and I live in St. Paul, Minnesota. We have two French Bulldogs, Sebastian and Ruby. We both share interests in world travel and volunteerism. I’m able to fund my wine hobby through my employment as a Training and Development director for a worldwide office parts distribution company. After 12 years of marriage, my wife still considers me the best cook she knows. And that's a blessing I count every day.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Brad, Welcome and thanks for sharing your interests and expertise. My interest in wine is much like yours, however, it is a very difficult thing to convey the soul of a wine with words. You do a nice job.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

That's terribly sweet about your wife and all that. I've always appreciated your input and feel glad to be part of your small eGullet wine community...

And, like you, I totally agree with the "too much oak" crap being produced.

I hope you will consider visiting Napa in the not-too-distant future! Like you, I have an amateur collection of about 300 wines, but mostly stuff I'm given or trade for being in the industry. Still trying to build up a "serious" collection.

Cheers!

I hope you will consider visiting Napa in the not-too-distant future!

Well, I've taken three trips there (but the last was in 1998, so maybe I'm due again). I'm not sure I can get my wife to stomach another one just yet. And time in San Francisco, believe it or not, isn't a draw for her. My favorite U.S. city, and she could take it or leave it. :blink:

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

And time in San Francisco, believe it or not, isn't a draw for her. My favorite U.S. city, and she could take it or leave it.

Dont' be too hard on her Brad.

I live in Napa and work in the city 2-4 times a week and feel the same way she does.

It only takes a couple of times trying to get home when there is a wreck on the Bay Bridge to dim the shine of the city.

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

Welcome and congratulations.

Enjoying your attitude.

Andre

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

Congrats, Brad. Now you'll be able to drink those grands crus on a daily basis :wink:

Why's that? You're going to invite me over more often? :laugh: