• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carne, A nice neighborhood surprise

ellenesk

After walking by this restaurant for 2 years, finally stopped in and had dinner last night. What a nice surprise!. Well cooked steak(flank for me, pork chop for my spouse). Nicely seasoned sides of creamed spinach. onion rings. Tasty cesar salad to start, and an interesting and affordable wine list. Dinner for 2 ran about 70 including tax and tip. Nice atmosphere, although the 80-'s disco music was a little loud. Service prompt and friendly. Will return soon and often.

Yea, it's an interesting place, although we think they're trying a bit too hard to be hip. The first time I went there, maybe a month after they opened, the service was so bad that I didn't go back for over a year. I've since been back a numbe of times.

My overall impression is that it's a bit too expensive for the quality and location. 28 bucks for a shell steak at Carne strikes me as too much given the fact that you can get a much better cut of meat plus a salad and sides for around 7 dollars more at the Fairway Steakhouse 30 blocks South. The best things to get there are, IMO, the skirt or flank steak and the double cut pork chop. These are flavorful and a good value.

--

Although Fairway offers a better deal on paper, my service experinces there have been less than good, that coupled with the no more byob policy, would make my preference of the two to be Carne

Hmmm... I think Carne's okay, and a good addition to the 'hood for sure. But there's little doubt in my mind that I am getting better beef and much more food for my money at Fairway. Your point is, of course, well made with respect to the service issues at Fairway. But, as I touched on above, my experiences at Carne haven't been stellar in that regard either.

--

To keep it on topic for a moment....I agree with Sam that it's just too expensive for the neighborhood (at least when ordering the meat dishes). I enjoyed my meal, but am not in any particular hurry to go back.

This is just a smokescreen for the real reason I'm posting here: to welcome Clement. Glad to see you're not just lurking, Rick! :cool:

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!